Noble Canyon Trail

Noble Canyon Trail is a 19.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Pine Valley, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 19.2 miles Elevation Gain: 3,038 feet Route Type: Out & Back

bike touring

Directions from Pine Valley, CA: Nobel Canyon Trail is accessed from Noble Canyon Trailhead located off Pine Creek Road north of Interstate 8 near Laguna Jct.

My wife and I backpacked this trail over 2 days. We had a great time and highly recommend it. We will be doing it again in March. The first day we started at Penny Pines and camped overnight at Noble Canyon campground. We did exactly as this map directed. Parking at Penny Pines is free and overnight is allowed. Must get a “disperse camping permit” from US Forest Service website, but it is free. Noble Canyon Campsite is free, first come-first serve camping with well water and a vault toilet. We went through about 4-5L of water each, but we also didn’t make an effort to conserve because there were fair amounts of water sources. Day 1: All downhill. Stepped off at 930am. First 2 miles is meadows and not much shade. The descent is all shaded but BRING A BUG NET FOR HEAD! The bugs get really bad around creek. There are a few water crossings (which is surprising after the end of summer). Creeks are easily crossed without getting wet. Be mindful of TONS of poison oak along creek and shades areas. Last 3 miles is unshaded with mostly rolling hills through scrub brush. Campsite was quiet and vacant. Be mindful of mountain bikers on the path because not all of them wear bells. There are a few improvised campsites along path for those who don’t want to do all 10miles. Trail is very easily navigated but be mindful of trail intersections; follow the markers labeled “Noble Canyon” Day 2: Stepped off at 0730 in order to make it through unshaded part before it got too hot. Strategy paid off and we made it to shaded part before it got too hot. Shaded part is all uphill. Some steep parts but it is a moderate climb, just for long distance. We carried less water on the way up and filtered at creek crossings. Good idea. The climb was moderately difficult but not unmanageable. Lots of rocky path so trekking poles are a must. Key takeaways: bring bug netting for head, filter at creek crossings to save weight, start early on return trip, POISON OAK EVERYWHERE, sturdy shoes for rocky paths, trekking poles are must.

This is a great hiking trail... you will need to watch out for mountain bikers coming down the hill though. We parked a car at the top and drove down... when we reached the top we continued to garnet peak.. it made for about 14 mile hike.. super fun and not very steep at all so you can keep a good pace!!!

Some pretty technical sections, definitely need to pay attention to your footing. Bring plenty of water, you’re on your own the entire way. The area around the water has a lot of bugs. I think that there were three water crossings, which could be problematic if there was recent rain. The beginning and end is full sun exposure, so plan accordingly.

we really enjoyed this backpacking. there was plenty of water but we didn't know and carried 8 liters for the two days. I'd always suggest carrying water and a filter too. loved sleeping at the end of the trail. yes it was technically a trailhead parking lot but there was running water and an awesome place to sleep. we loved it! however many bugs and not much shade so prepare. don't forget to get your permits and a map at the visitor center next to el prado campground.

First time on the trail and I found it to be challenging. Fairly technical in many areas, rock gardens galore, steep step drops and switchbacks with several stream crossings. Did plenty of hikeabike due to severe rock exposure.. way easy to do an endo and end up 500 ft. down the canyon. I was very cautious as I was a single. Simply put, not a bike in the park. Plenty of water is a must (3L min. plus nutrition)...bikers use your bell... hikers, keep the earbuds out. Lots of blind spots and the wind can make it difficult to hear hikers talking or bells ringing. Mt. Laguna is an SD gem with plenty of challenges for all skill levels.

There are 17 km of footpath, excellent climb for strength training

Rainy day!

Beautiful! Started from Penny Pines trail head. Different terrain makes for a diverse trail. There are water crossings throughout.

I hiked this trail about 2 years ago. It was a very pretty hike, but not the best for backpacking. The campsite at the bottom was not great. It was basically a parking lot and there was a weird redneck guy hanging out and yelling. Other than that the hike was great. It was way more challenging on the way back up!

Great trail!!! Left early morning so many small waterfalls, shaded on the way out!! After you cross the road not as pretty but overall an A+. Several mountain bikers.

Excellent trail to train for our big trip in August .

Great hike enjoying some awesome snow. We could easily access the beginning of the trail without needing chains. A beautiful clear warm day for a great hike. So sad the snow is melting so fast it won't last long.

Beautiful. My fiancee and i hiked this today. Full of snow

Absolutely fantastic. Just the kind of trail I was looking for. Hiked in, camped, then hiked out the next day. Some great places to camp along the side and only mountain bikers once you get 3 or 4 miles down the trail. Water source at around mile 3, then nothing until you get to the road at the end of the trail, so make sure you have enough water. Gorgeous and peaceful.

Monday, October 08, 2018

Excellent trail, plenty of parking space on the pine valley trailhead but don’t forget your adventure pass in the general store right as you enter pine valley! Great place for a solitude getaway, with plenty of spots to lay a tent down if an overnighter is your thing, like myself. Not much of a water source in mid October so bring water. And be sure to be mindful of where you leave your food for there were mountain lions all over at night. Just the trail I was looking for.

Monday, May 28, 2018

Did this with my dog over memorial day weekend and was pleasantly surprised by the solitude. Nice hike for both me and the pup - a few streams along the way she drank from helped me conserve water. I setup my hammock in multiple places for nice stops plus my overnight camp. Would do this again!

Monday, May 07, 2018

Fun trail, OK views. Much of the start of the trail is in direct sunlight, and can get quite hot. It was a relief to get into the wooded area, but it didn’t last long until the gnats became overwhelming. I was slightly worried as many of them gathered around my dogs eyes, and I was constantly wiping them away. We found good rest spots and a good camp spot. Saw only a few other hikers and bikers, but were alone for pretty much the whole hike.

Sunday, February 18, 2018

Did Laguna to Pine Valley 10.5 miles. Being 64 somethings were challenging for me

Tuesday, January 02, 2018

We only hiked 6 miles of it, but overall a nice hike. Fairly mellow, but hot with little shade. Bring plenty of water!

Friday, November 24, 2017

flying bugs (knats) when close to the creek, annoying, but we got through it. fun, beautiful hike. lots of picturesque moments. take plenty of water

Sunday, November 12, 2017

Top section from Laguna campground, mile marker 22.5 off Sunrise Hwy, is unreal. Los Gatos trail is super fun. Noble canyon is a butt kicker!

Saturday, November 04, 2017

We only walked in for about 4 miles but it was all downhill so prepare for the way back to be all uphill! Lots of mountain bikers which was a little much for us but the variety of landscape kept us happy. Looking forward to coming back and trying the whole thing!

Friday, August 25, 2017

Hard trail, bring plenty of water

Monday, July 17, 2017

Trail is incredible, definitely better than I am (on MTB). Don't go in July! Had 3 Liters each, still ran out of water on the round trip.

Sunday, June 18, 2017

The trail isn't too difficult, but it definitely isn't easy. Rocky with a steady climb on the south end. Lots of mtn bikers, not many hikers. It was more high desert terrain & it was hot! I'd love to do this trail again, but it's on my fall/winter/spring to-do list rather than summer.

Saturday, June 10, 2017

The continuous stream of idiots on mountain bikes going down hill and taking blind turns at 40mph really detracts from the experience. With that said don't expect to see much in the way of wildlife.