Noble Canyon Trail

Noble Canyon Trail is a 19.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Pine Valley, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Pine Valley, CA: Nobel Canyon Trail is accessed from Noble Canyon Trailhead located off Pine Creek Road north of Interstate 8 near Laguna Jct.

Did Laguna to Pine Valley 10.5 miles. Being 64 somethings were challenging for me

We only hiked 6 miles of it, but overall a nice hike. Fairly mellow, but hot with little shade. Bring plenty of water!

flying bugs (knats) when close to the creek, annoying, but we got through it.

fun, beautiful hike. lots of picturesque moments.

take plenty of water

Top section from Laguna campground, mile marker 22.5 off Sunrise Hwy, is unreal. Los Gatos trail is super fun. Noble canyon is a butt kicker!

We only walked in for about 4 miles but it was all downhill so prepare for the way back to be all uphill! Lots of mountain bikers which was a little much for us but the variety of landscape kept us happy. Looking forward to coming back and trying the whole thing!

Hard trail, bring plenty of water

Trail is incredible, definitely better than I am (on MTB). Don't go in July! Had 3 Liters each, still ran out of water on the round trip.

The trail isn't too difficult, but it definitely isn't easy. Rocky with a steady climb on the south end. Lots of mtn bikers, not many hikers. It was more high desert terrain & it was hot! I'd love to do this trail again, but it's on my fall/winter/spring to-do list rather than summer.

The continuous stream of idiots on mountain bikes going down hill and taking blind turns at 40mph really detracts from the experience. With that said don't expect to see much in the way of wildlife.

Great trail with a nicely maintain path. Very serene.

We got a late start on a Monday night so we weren't able to hike the full trail. We made camp about 3 or so miles from the Pine Valley trailhead. The trail is diverse and was better than we expected. There is tree coverage in certain areas but other sections are open. It got pretty warm on our way back to the car but we were lucky to have a cool breeze. We plan to bring friends out as an intro to backpacking since this one is so easy to get to and not too strenuous.

Monday, December 12, 2016

nice trail well maintained. just be careful of the mountain bikers. it's 10 mils one way.

Thursday, September 22, 2016

Backpacked this trail last weekend. Started at the Noble Canyon Trailhead in Pine Valley. It was hot in Pine Valley but cooled off as I ascended. A great ascent, going from essentially desert (lots of yucca and some cactus), across the Pine Valley Creek, into oak forest, and then ultimately in pine forest. The gnats were really bad down near the water! Bring bug spray! I turned off towards the top of Noble Canyon Trail to Big Laguna Trail to camp at Laguna Mountain Campground. Camped for the weekend and then hiked back down to Pine Valley - where it was about 96 degrees! Used 2 liters of water. About 5 hours for the ascent, and 4 hours on the descent. Not too bad...considering this was essentially my first backpacking experiencing in 25 years, and carrying a 40-lb. pack! :)

Sunday, July 10, 2016

Tuesday, June 14, 2016

one of the best trails.

Monday, May 30, 2016

One of the most beautiful hikes in the Laguna Mtns. It's mostly under tree cover, so great to do on the warmer days. It has a gradual elevation gain and loss, making it more of a long leisure hike. Listen for the frogs croaking in late spring and look carefully along the trail to find wild strawberries growing throughout the summer as well!

Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Super fun single track from pine forest loam to high desert rock gardens!

Thursday, February 19, 2015

Great hike with many changes in scenery. Be aware around the 9th mile when you are at a huge boulder to go right. It will be awhile before you see a trail marker. We went left down hill and had to backtrack adding a couple miles to the hike.

Monday, September 01, 2014

I found the trail to be in the moderate range. There were quite a few mountain bikers that didn't use the bells on their bikes. The bathrooms were in good condition and it was really beautiful. when I put the location in Google maps it was a bit deceptive on the trail head.

Monday, September 01, 2014

A pretty good hike that most part is easy. Care should be taken if riding a bike in certain areas. Also, there is a box with bells at the trail head. Please get one so those of us that hike can hear you coming. To start at the trail head you need to drive to the Cleveland National Forest Reserve for Noble Canyon, not the starting point given on this map as it is a residential area. Make sure to bring lots of water as you're out in the open for much of the trail.

Wednesday, April 02, 2014

Note: GPS may tell you to turn left onto Pine Valley Rd from Sunrise Hwy. Don't listen unless that's your destination then by all means turn left. Sarah and I began around noon from the upper trail head working our way downward to the 10 mile lower trailhead. Lots of diversity as you descend in elevation, from beautiful wildflowers and pines to yucca and cacti this trail has it all! After a nice snooze and exploring the deep cave, we found ourselves running headlamps. 2 miles from upper trail head we had a standoff with a large "cat" on the left side of the trail 3 feet up in a tree. When you see two glowing orbs spaced the width of a human staring back at you, stand ground and don't even think about running! Fortunately we gave her an escape route, our mountain lion friend was gone without a sound! I recommend starting early if you plan the entire 20 mile out and back, be mindful of mountain bikes... better yet, bring yours!

Sunday, March 16, 2014

Decent little trail. Not really lush but there's a creek that you hike along. I haven't been out here since I was a kid. Good for families and pretty easy trail.

Thursday, January 02, 2014

I completed this hike on New Years day. It was extremely beautiful. We started our hike at 7:30 and boy was it cold. It was 23 degrees out, but once we rounded the first mountain, it warmed up. I'm glad I got trekking poles for Christmas, they saved me numerous times. Along the trail is loose sand and rock, making it easy to slip/fall and hurt yourself, so I highly recommend investing in a good pair of poles. We had really great weather the rest of the day. It was about 70 with a cool breeze. I highly recommend this trail. It's diverse in terrain making it evenly challenging, the inclines are not super intense, the entire trail is breath taking, and it's great for logging miles. Although my body was aching the last 4 miles, I felt strong. It's a gratifying feeling to have accomplished such distance.

Sunday, August 25, 2013

Great for logging miles and building up stamina. I did the highway to the bottom and enjoyed the burn on the way back up. Lots of mountain bikers and plenty of bugs. Ate my fair share of Mosquitos. Go early in the morning as its easily a whole day. Prepare to cross streams. Fire ants a possibility--OUCH!!

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Me and my friend did this one today and we loved it!! Constantly a beautiful trail, the creek wasn't tough to cross at least with how far we went. We did see a few tents, probably backpackers, also we saw lots of bikers. If you are backpacking I would be careful because they do come around corners fast and suddenly. The trail is well maintained but is rocky in a few areas. Make sure you take lots of water on hot days we both drank through our water bladders but planned accordingly and brought extra water. Be careful out there!

Monday, April 23, 2012

This is a great trail for an overnight backpacking trip. Start at the bottom at the Fire Dept Rd trailhead so you can go down on the way back instead of up. You will need to cross the creek quite a few times so prepare to get your feet wet. There are also a few good camping spots along the way in case you can't finish before dark. Water from creek is not drinkable so plan accordingly. The trail itself is narrow and gets pretty rough/rocky at times. The climb is constant and gradual. Watch out for mountain bikers; they are very friendly and knowledgable, but can pop out of no where at high speed.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

get a early start dont get stuckout at night. beware of snow in high elevation

Monday, September 27, 2010

This is a great trail when trying to log distance for Mt. Whitney. During the week the trail is almost empty. We started near Pine Valley and topped out at the highway then did the return trip. The water at the trail head on top was SWEET and oh so COLD! The water quality was unknown to me so we treated it. A great trip with an old gold mine along the way.