Nibbs Knob, Waterfall Loop, Contour Trail and Triple Falls

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(495)
Uvas Canyon County Park

Nibbs Knob, Waterfall Loop, Contour Trail and Triple Falls is a 8.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Morgan Hill, California that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 8.3 miles Elevation Gain: 2,490 feet Route Type: Loop

fee

NOTE: Reservations are required for day use 7 days a week (and holidays) through July 5, 2020. All day use not just vehicles require a reservation. Please go to www.gooutsideandplay.org​ or call 408-355-2201 to make your reservation.​ This route follows beautiful forested paths through Uvas Canyon County Park. The first point of interest is Nibbs Knob, where you will have incredible views rewarding the only climb on this route. After descending, you will wind through the Waterfall and Contour Trails to a beautiful bench with a view and finally Triple Falls. This area is remote, yet very accessible, making it feel as if you are somewhere far away.

Nice trail. Nibbs trail is very steep but it has some great views. Waterfall loop is beautiful but I expected the falls to be bigger. Overall it’s a great hiking place.

Great hike - it’s basically 2 hikes put together. Lovely views on both - the waterfalls are really nice. Went at 10 and saw very few people. By the afternoon there were surprisingly big groups. Lots of up and down. Need a reservation to park.

5/22/2020 Hike/Run: What a cool place. Great mix of scenery and challenging hill climbs. I started out by climbing up to Nibbs Knob. It's a pretty strenuous climb; about 1500 ft in less than 2 miles. There's a picnic table about half-way up if you need to take a break. And then there's a picnic table at the knob itself. I was surprised how wooded it is. You could look toward the north, but that was about it. If you're there for the waterfalls, you can skip it and not miss anything. There's so many different waterfalls to explore - you could spend all day here. Along the way, I took a detour up to the Knobcone trail (which is also pretty steep) and found a geocache at the top. There's a picnic table there too if you want to take a break. That trail only goes about half as far up the hill as the map indicates. After going by more and more waterfalls, the Contour Trail loops you back towards the entrance. This trail is a great single track and I jogged most of it. Make sure you check out Triple Falls before heading back to the parking lot. The traffic was really thin on the southern end of the park. That waterfall is taller and doesn't have as much water flow as the others. I also went down the Alec Canyon trail. It ended much earlier than the map shows. There was a picnic table at the end, but not much going on down that way. Ended up with almost 12 miles with all the side trips.

fee

Legit hike. Beautiful park with nice trails. Waterfalls and a running creek. Very quiet when I visited. Rating 9/10

This is the most scenic trail I have been on. There are so many small little waterfalls and it’s just such a pleasant area to walk/hike through with friends or family.

fee

Glad we got our permit pass 2 weeks in advance because it sells out. We were not disappointed, as the waterfalls were beautiful and serene to see. The trails were mostly shaded and moderate-hard. I would bring bug spray next time.

$6 parking and you need to make reservations ahead of time. There are bathrooms at the parking lot. I added Swanson Creek Trail (couldn’t cross to Uvas Creek Trail because the river was too high) and Knobcone Trail. Knobcone was short and steep, good cardio burst but no views so I would skip next time. Mix of shade and sun on Knibbs and Alec Canyon, and mostly shaded on Contour loop. I wished that I had bug spray and hiking sticks for coming down Knibbs and Knobcone which were steep and a bit slippery. Total hike with additions was just under 10 miles and took me about 4 hours.

Loved the location. Quite remote yet accessible. Not too many people. I would suggest the trail following the left side of the creek instead of the steep right one, in case you do not want to start hard. The contour trail is away from the water but pretty scenic with lot of flora. Reservation mandatory for day use.

recorded Uvas Canyon Waterfalls

Super confusing. Most trails blocked by gates so no idea what I’m allowed to hike or not. Without Knibbs Knob (which was blocked) this isn’t really a hike, more like a scenic forest. Recommend for families with kids, not hikers. Super commercialized, but pretty waterfalls.

fee

waterfall loop has a lot of shade from the redwoods, around 6-7 waterfalls ( all around 3-10 feet), and is very pretty and calm in the morning. I went during the COVID lockdown, so there were only about 5 other people in the entire park. I did the knib's knob trail around 11 am, and that was too sunny for me, there's no shade and is a very steep climb to the top. the views at the top weren't rewarding, it's just a good workout. the climb down was annoying, steep degrade. saw a bobcat and several deer earlier in the morning. restrooms are well maintained

Perfect place to see multiple waterfalls. This time of the year the water is perfect. it is not too much so that you can still do the loop by passing the creek and enough to enjoy the waterfalls. The lower falls expectedly has the most water hence more vivid. The triple falls did not have much water but still super beautiful to see. On the way we discovered few more waterfalls out side of this trail. Nib Hills trail is more like a fire road hence perfect for social distancing. Lower fall trail is mostly narrow trails. The nature loops is half and half. You also need to do online reservations so the number of visitors are somewhat controlled. The views and the waterfalls are good enough reason to spend a day here. Note: this participle trail on All Trails does not take you to lower falls but I cannot recommend enough to add it to your list.

fee

Went there a day after rain. Didn’t know you need to make reservations in ADVANCE. (6$, 24 hours in advance through their website) Ranger was very friendly. A beautiful hidden gem in Morgan Hill. Plenty of waterfalls - great for a photographer. Only about 4 cars in the lot when I got there around 11. Would come back.

We were there during a very rainy day and it was impressive and exciting. Water has it's magical flow and brown colors of it bring something unique for this period of year. Suggested to be well prepared with the water proof equipment to complete the trail on the rainy days. Some creeks is a liitle bit challenging to cross when they are full of water. We did it, but others decided to turned back. I would also categories this trail as moderate and it's fully aligned with my 8 and 10 years old children's opinion :-).

fee

Even though it rained the entire time I was there the trails were in great shape.

The waterfalls were incredible. No bugs. Weather was decent (not too cold) but it was a bit rainy (Early March) but the trails still were in good shape.

From January through July you need to reserve parking. Otherwise amazing hike

Nibbs Knob Trail was a workout! Got cold and windy up there. There was only one other person that we passed on this trail. The Waterfall Loop Trail, Contour Trail and the Triple Falls were pleasant. Went on MLK Holiday, park ranger said only 30 cars registered for entry compared to 65 cars the day before. There was a family of deer by the playground on our drive out. Beautiful animals and very alert, paused to watch us take photos of them.

Recommend Knobcone Point and Contour Trails in addition to Waterfall Loop. The views are AMAZING!!!

beautiful hiking trail loop

Nice dog trail. Only did the lower loop because we were short of time.

fee

Incredible view from the Knibb’s Knob trail, and it’s one of the best training hikes around—about 1,700 ft in 2 miles. I did every trail in the park (other than the straight, short return trail from the Waterfall Loop) and clocked about 10.5 miles and almost 3,500 ft of gain. I was looking to train and I definitely got what I wanted. Lovely park, shaded and most trails follow a creek or have a view. Knob Cone Point spur is also a great butt-kicker, though no view. The Alec Canyon spur that splits off the Triple Falls trail isn’t noteworthy for training or scenery. My favorite waterfalls are Basin and Granuja.

Pleasant, shady

Too many small bugs in your face