Myrtle Creek Trail

Myrtle Creek Trail is a 1.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Crescent City, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I hiked this yesterday and it was a great hike. Lots of cool little information stops along the way with a cool history to the trail. I also took my 5 year old son with me, so very kid friendly. He loved it and even got into the creek at the end. Definitely worth the stop.

Enjoyable short trail. I found the directions from this site to the trailhead accurate to be accurate, park across the road. Mile marker 7.07 is right there on 199, but you can't see it if you're coming from the coast. The parking area is right at Myrtle Creek. Most of the elevation gain of the trail is right at the beginning, and then it runs fairly straight and level, eventually drawing alongside the creek. Some of the interpretive trail markers are missing are otherwise damaged, but some are informative. Number 15 is marked "End" and just past it the trail splits. One runs down to the creek and the other goes on further alongside, quickly becoming more of an advanced trail, less clearly defined with more obstacles. I don't think it goes too much further. On the way back, in between stop 9 and 8 you can see another trail split off to the left and run down in the direction of the creek. Looked like a fairly clear trail, I didn't follow it, but I think it would likely provide access to the creek at another point. Fairly shady throughout. I saw only one tiny flower (in late September) but overall everything was lush and green with a wide variety of plants. Tons of other hikes in the area. This one's a perfect warm up, great to walk early with a big travel mug of coffee.

nice trail , water very low in river.

good hike to start if you're getting back into trail running.

beautiful high beginners interpretive trail. It ends at a awesome spot by the creek. Nice short hike.

loved this trail! It's an easy hike lots to see and gold mining history and even ends at a creek

Love this trail. It's short and sweet, filled with wild flowers, small waterfalls and the river.

Beautiful with lots of history and it even ends at the creek.

Thursday, October 12, 2017

Not a difficult hike, but probably wouldn't recommend it with small children only because you have to walk looking down a lot due to a lot of roots that grew threw the trail. If you're not paying attention you're likely to trip. My husband and I enjoyed this trail very much especially because it ended at the creek. We also saw a deer on the trail

Sunday, September 24, 2017

This is not a challenging hike, but is more for plant lovers who enjoy walking slowly and paying attention to all of the diverse species growing along this short trail. I saw carnivorous pitcher plants, wild ginger and plenty of ferns. One plant I did not see was poison oak. I took my dog, he enjoyed it too!

Monday, October 31, 2016

Did this and the nearby Wellman Trail today. This is a very easy trail that is a little unusual because much of it runs along a ditch because it was an old gold mining operation. This is an excellent trail for someone not use to hiking much. Pretty gentle with only a little altitude gain at the very beginning... Brook, my lab, loved this trail because of all the little waterfalls and feeder creeks. She didn't miss any...

Saturday, August 11, 2012

An easy walk through the woods. There are 16 interpretive stops along the way with historical info in addition to plant info. Good news is minimal to no poison oak.

Wednesday, July 12, 2017