Museum Trail

Museum Trail is a 0.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Palm Springs, California that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from October until December.

Distance: 0.7 miles Elevation Gain: 291 feet Route Type: Loop

From Ramon Road head west, right on S. Indian Ave., left on E. Tahquits Canyon Way, right on N. Museum Dr.

Trail has a lot or rocks and boulders. Very confusing. Great view, would not enjoy a repeat on this trail. Too hard on ankles and feet.

Views were amazing!! I found this to be an enjoyable hike! It is a steep climb up and down, so my companions found it much more challenging than a “moderate” hike.

Beautiful with all the wildflowers blooming! Close to downtown Palm Springs, but be sure to dress appropriately: no shade, steep and slippery, some mild scrambling. But the flowers and views are worth it!

Loved it. Started at the PSA museum lot and climbed up and back down for about an hour and a half. iPhone registered about 35 floors. Looked prohibitively steep from below and we encountered several others who had turned back / away but I’m glad that I just started, since once we were on the trail it was quite doable. ( I love a good cardio hike with views and some scrambling but I’m afraid of heights and won’t do a trail if I can fall to my death. ) If you go in Spring you get the benefit of flowers, which was nice.

Good workout hike So pretty at the top wildflowers butterfly’s and a ahhh moment

Neat urban trail. There are several alternate paths leading in the same direction making it a bit confusing in some sections.

I did this with my husband and my two kids ages 5 and 7. It was steep but the kids loved climbing the rocks. The scenery was beautiful. We felt the trail could be marked a little better.

WOW! Went up for the first time and friend took me STRAIGHT UP....took the most difficult trail to the top, then enjoyed the walk over to South Lykken Trail...Clouds rolled in yesterday with mist...so it felt wonderful! Picnic tables at the top...small vistas to enjoy the views of the valley. So serene and the rocks are just stunning! Had a ball! Will definitely do this again, and feel comfortable enough to do solo, for sure.

I hiked this once again on Wednesday January 16th, up to the five picnic tables,which is more than the official Museum trail loop, I had a total of 1.4 miles. Of the dozen or more trails I have done in the area, it is the steepest. I did not see anyone else using hiking poles, but I am 75 and would not want to try it without, especially coming down. I saw four bighorn sheep quite a ways below me and it looked like some other hikers were really close and the sheep acted curious. The view of Palm Springs is spectacular. You could easily loose the trail without the paint spots as there seem to be multiple choices in spots and in others you are rock hopping a little.

Tough first hike of the trip. Climb was pretty strenuous, scenery was beautiful. Do the hike in the morning before it gets too hot - very little shade if any.

Tough trail to follow in sections and steep in parts but fun with a beautiful view as a reward!

Strenuous and a little difficult to find the trail among the rocks at the end but the views are great. No shade so go at a cool time. And be ready to scramble up and down boulders.

A little to short and steep for my liking but pretty view at the top and a nice little heart-ticker workout.

LOVE this trail! It’s very steep. Highly recommend using trekking poles. At the top there are picnic tables.

Love this trail, it’s a great steep hike, gorgeous views it’s not a leisure hike, be ready to exercise your lungs if your a beginner.

Excellent views on the way up and at top! Good workout.

Friday, July 13, 2018

Fun hike, tough to see the trail markings at times. Some scrambling required and at my age/ability I chose to not risk it going back down and instead took the North Lykken trail down from where it meets it at the picnic tables.

Saturday, April 14, 2018

This is a moderate hike. The trail is marked by signs and white dots sprayed on rocks. Lots of lizards and various plants and shrubs. Make sure you get there early before it gets too hot. There is no shade!! Overall, a good trail.

Saturday, March 31, 2018

What a great trail for experienced climbers.

Sunday, March 25, 2018

Just a good nice hike, best to go early to avoid to much heat. Also to avoid the crowds.

Saturday, March 24, 2018

Enjoyed the hike with this trail. A good leg exercise because it is steep. Also it gives you a choice if you want to go further because it connects to north lykken trail.

Friday, February 16, 2018

Very steep grade.

Monday, November 13, 2017

Not a walk, Steep and often narrow trail, with loose rock,gravel,sand and in places climb over rocks. Proper footwear and good balance required. Good mental & physical challenge! 45-60 minutes up a reasonable goal.

Sunday, November 12, 2017

Quick hike with amazing views! I️ come here every time I️ visit! Early morning as the sunrises will give you great photo opportunities! Also look for the white dots spray painted on the path to keep you on track. There’s also a small area at the top with picnic tables for a small snack. Enjoy!

Friday, September 29, 2017

Enjoyed the challenge uphill. Beautiful views.

Tuesday, September 26, 2017

This was a great moderate hike. Incredible views. Caution on the way down as it was slippery gravel and lots of rocks to climb over.

Wednesday, September 20, 2017

We went up the Museum trail and had a great hike. Great views of the valley. lots of little lizards and a number of birds.

Wednesday, September 13, 2017

What a killer hike. Went on Saturday before the rain could hit. A beautiful view at the top.

Wednesday, July 19, 2017

What an awesome workout. Started at 10:00 am and finished at Noon. In 108 degree weather.....