Museum Trail

Museum Trail is a 0.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Palm Springs, California that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from October until December.

From Ramon Road head west, right on S. Indian Ave., left on E. Tahquits Canyon Way, right on N. Museum Dr.

This is a moderate hike. The trail is marked by signs and white dots sprayed on rocks. Lots of lizards and various plants and shrubs. Make sure you get there early before it gets too hot. There is no shade!! Overall, a good trail.

What a great trail for experienced climbers.

Just a good nice hike, best to go early to avoid to much heat. Also to avoid the crowds.

Enjoyed the hike with this trail. A good leg exercise because it is steep. Also it gives you a choice if you want to go further because it connects to north lykken trail.

Very steep grade.

Not a walk, Steep and often narrow trail, with loose rock,gravel,sand and in places climb over rocks. Proper footwear and good balance required. Good mental & physical challenge! 45-60 minutes up a reasonable goal.

Quick hike with amazing views! I️ come here every time I️ visit! Early morning as the sunrises will give you great photo opportunities! Also look for the white dots spray painted on the path to keep you on track. There’s also a small area at the top with picnic tables for a small snack. Enjoy!

Enjoyed the challenge uphill. Beautiful views.

This was a great moderate hike. Incredible views. Caution on the way down as it was slippery gravel and lots of rocks to climb over.

We went up the Museum trail and had a great hike. Great views of the valley. lots of little lizards and a number of birds.

What a killer hike. Went on Saturday before the rain could hit. A beautiful view at the top.

What an awesome workout. Started at 10:00 am and finished at Noon. In 108 degree weather.....

Sunday, May 14, 2017

Great trail for a good cardio workout! Very nice views as well. Just be sure to follow the white dots to stay on trail. A little confusing at first but overall pretty good.

Thursday, May 11, 2017

Loved this trail! Can't wait to do it again!

Friday, March 10, 2017

Morning pre-conference hike

Monday, February 13, 2017

Nice hike! Beautiful views!

Sunday, November 20, 2016

Did it as part of C2C in the dark. Very well maintained and well marked trail with nice views of Palm Springs.

Saturday, November 12, 2016

love this trail been doing it for a long time now. it's a nice little get away and a nice view of Palm Springs in the morning or evening

Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Trail excellent for a good workout. I was lucky enough to do it on a late September day when it rained. Cloudy and cool (for the desert) when I started the hike behind the museum. The usual Palm Springs vegetation, but outstanding views of the Coachella Valley below. Hey, please no more construction. I thought Palm Springs desires a "village" atmosphere. Steep uphill climb to the picnic tables. I had to stop often to catch my breath. On my decent the rain fall much harder and I was able to witness the brown / yellow desert turn green right before my eyes. I started early at 6:00 am and come across a few locals who use the trail for exercise. This was my first desert hike were I didn't use my sunglasses, suntan lotion, and hat (of course I had these items in my bag). This was my second time on this trail and I will return again in the future.

Monday, March 21, 2016

The trail starts in the back corner of the museum parking lot. It is about 1.2 miles up the easy way and a little less the harder route. The elevation gain is about 1,350 feet. The trail ends at the picnic tables where you can join other trails. There are several great views of the valley on the trail.

Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Great views! Well marked and an awesome short hike.

Tuesday, January 19, 2016

I came across this trail because it was the view from my hotel room. Trail is challenging as there are lots of rocky only areas. One you reach the top there a few picnic tables where a nice snack can be enjoyed. Be sure and understand following the "white dots" as there are parts where its misguiding. The dots are simply paining on rocks along the way to help guide you. I will definitely make a little morning trip and hike this trail again.

Sunday, December 27, 2015

Great trail from downtown PS. Park in the museum parking lot. Read the reviews first as knowing about the white painted dots is a huge help. We did this with 4 kids (1.5 on my back in a carrier, 3.5, 6, 8), and they loved it. I think they felt like they were rock climbing because it is quite rocky.
The 3.5 yr old needed hand holding and help on the way down as he just didn't want his feet and lots of rocks. I, personally, wouldn't want to do this hike in the hot months as I am terrified of snakes and critters, and with all the rocks, i'd think there would be lots of them about but felt safer in December doing it as I knew most were hibernating! But that's me being a wimp:)
We did this Dec 26th, 2015. Felt much more than 550 feet elevation gain, but may have been because it goes up switchbacks all the way to the top!

Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Winter hije

Tuesday, June 09, 2015

WARNING: This is an extreme trail with steep inclines and no shade. But it was one of the most incredible experiences of my life. Expect to be on the trail for at least 8 hours. Bring at least 2 gallons of water per person. Start your hike early. And don't hike this trail alone. Cell service is spotty and I didn't see anyone on the trail my entire day of hiking. This is a great trail, but be overly prepared before setting out.

Friday, May 22, 2015

Nice morning hike with great view, central

Saturday, May 09, 2015

Great local PS trail for a quick technical work out and a great view. Lots of rocks and quick steep steps. Most folks go up to the picnic tables and back. Route finding can be crazy because the local hillside is spider webbed by little short side trails. The main trail is marked by "painted" white dots on the rocks. This is one of the first trails I experienced when I first started visiting PS. As much time has passed, it is a little tough on the knees as I get older.

Saturday, August 16, 2014

cm jgu

Thursday, May 02, 2013

This trail is a good workout! It's not that long but, you're constantly stepping and rock scrambling. The views are beautiful and panoramic of the nearby desert cities and the windmills by the freeway. At the top there are picnic benches to take a rest or even have some lunch or a snack. Good place for a photo op.

Be WARNED......I've nicknamed this trail the "Connect the Dot Trail". There are so many social trails that start about 1/10 of the way up, if you don't follow the white spray paint dots on the rocks, you'll get completely turned around. We tried just to keep going up, but if it isn't necessarily a trail, it can be scary which way to go. At first I thought it was bird poop stains, but turns out, they're trail guides. You can even see them coming back down as well.

So because of the trail confusion....I give this trail 2.5 Star Rating.

Happy Trails!!

Thursday, May 02, 2013

This is a short trail and will burn a few calories that is for sure and you really get an amazing view of downtown Palm Springs. I would saw that this is the best view of Palm Springs from any trail. Also you can do this trail in summer since it is short. There is a nice picnic area once you get to the top. Also this trail is the begging of two longer trails. The only bad thing is that there are ALOT of social trials. The key is to follow the spry painted white dots, which is very tacky but works. Your girlfriend or boyfriend might not like that much...just a warning. Besides the many social trails this trail maybe short but very enjoyable..wish I could give this another half star, because it is almost good enough for three stars.