Museum Trail

Museum Trail is a 1.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Palm Springs, California that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from October until December.

From Ramon Road head west, right on S. Indian Ave., left on E. Tahquits Canyon Way, right on N. Museum Dr.

Very steep grade.

Not a walk, Steep and often narrow trail, with loose rock,gravel,sand and in places climb over rocks. Proper footwear and good balance required. Good mental & physical challenge! 45-60 minutes up a reasonable goal.

Quick hike with amazing views! I️ come here every time I️ visit! Early morning as the sunrises will give you great photo opportunities! Also look for the white dots spray painted on the path to keep you on track. There’s also a small area at the top with picnic tables for a small snack. Enjoy!

Enjoyed the challenge uphill. Beautiful views.

This was a great moderate hike. Incredible views. Caution on the way down as it was slippery gravel and lots of rocks to climb over.

We went up the Museum trail and had a great hike. Great views of the valley. lots of little lizards and a number of birds.

What a killer hike. Went on Saturday before the rain could hit. A beautiful view at the top.

What an awesome workout. Started at 10:00 am and finished at Noon. In 108 degree weather.....

Great trail for a good cardio workout! Very nice views as well. Just be sure to follow the white dots to stay on trail. A little confusing at first but overall pretty good.

Loved this trail! Can't wait to do it again!

Morning pre-conference hike

Monday, February 13, 2017

Nice hike! Beautiful views!

Sunday, November 20, 2016

Did it as part of C2C in the dark. Very well maintained and well marked trail with nice views of Palm Springs.

Saturday, November 12, 2016

love this trail been doing it for a long time now. it's a nice little get away and a nice view of Palm Springs in the morning or evening

Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Trail excellent for a good workout. I was lucky enough to do it on a late September day when it rained. Cloudy and cool (for the desert) when I started the hike behind the museum. The usual Palm Springs vegetation, but outstanding views of the Coachella Valley below. Hey, please no more construction. I thought Palm Springs desires a "village" atmosphere. Steep uphill climb to the picnic tables. I had to stop often to catch my breath. On my decent the rain fall much harder and I was able to witness the brown / yellow desert turn green right before my eyes. I started early at 6:00 am and come across a few locals who use the trail for exercise. This was my first desert hike were I didn't use my sunglasses, suntan lotion, and hat (of course I had these items in my bag). This was my second time on this trail and I will return again in the future.

Monday, March 21, 2016

The trail starts in the back corner of the museum parking lot. It is about 1.2 miles up the easy way and a little less the harder route. The elevation gain is about 1,350 feet. The trail ends at the picnic tables where you can join other trails. There are several great views of the valley on the trail.

Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Great views! Well marked and an awesome short hike.

Tuesday, January 19, 2016

I came across this trail because it was the view from my hotel room. Trail is challenging as there are lots of rocky only areas. One you reach the top there a few picnic tables where a nice snack can be enjoyed. Be sure and understand following the "white dots" as there are parts where its misguiding. The dots are simply paining on rocks along the way to help guide you. I will definitely make a little morning trip and hike this trail again.

Sunday, December 27, 2015

Great trail from downtown PS. Park in the museum parking lot. Read the reviews first as knowing about the white painted dots is a huge help. We did this with 4 kids (1.5 on my back in a carrier, 3.5, 6, 8), and they loved it. I think they felt like they were rock climbing because it is quite rocky.
The 3.5 yr old needed hand holding and help on the way down as he just didn't want his feet and lots of rocks. I, personally, wouldn't want to do this hike in the hot months as I am terrified of snakes and critters, and with all the rocks, i'd think there would be lots of them about but felt safer in December doing it as I knew most were hibernating! But that's me being a wimp:)
We did this Dec 26th, 2015. Felt much more than 550 feet elevation gain, but may have been because it goes up switchbacks all the way to the top!

Tuesday, November 24, 2015