Murray Hill Loop is a 7.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Palm Springs, California that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from March until October.

Distance: 7.9 miles Elevation Gain: 2,506 feet Route Type: Loop

Nice strenuous hike, but very doable. I finished in about 4 hours including a lunch break at the peak. I took Clara Burgess trail up and back. Heard the other way is much steeper.

Fine hike in March. Coming down from Murray Hill is a bit steep . But not unsafe. At the base of Murray hill ( on the descent ) look for a cairn,that’s the best place to cross the dry stream bed

Great trail. Anticlockwise. Great views throughout. Quiet. Picnic tables at the peak are a great touch. Up and down with lunch in 3.5 hours.

good hike. went counterclockwise. trail easy to follow, did have to check with the alltrails map a few times on the last part of the loop coming back. took about 5 hours. FYI had our car window smashed and several bags stolen at the trailhead, which is in a culdesac in a neighborhood. super disappointing to see after returning from a good hike. did not expect that in Palm Springs.

This was a solid hike. Took the route counter-clockwise. Got lost. Found the trail. Got slayed. Feet are sore, but it was fun.

Great training hike! Took us just over 6 hours.

Nice trail. Good views. Picnic table at top Other reviewer said bridge out. There is no bridge

bridge out

Did this with bailey and Lisa!

Great views and easy to moderate hike. Easy to follow and most trails are visible and connect to each other so hard to get lost.

We started 6:30am today just before sunrise and did the loop in the counterclockwise direction. Definitely less grueling than going up the front side of the mountain. Beautiful day and cool for most of the climb up but did start to get warm on the way back. We walked from our home which is close to the start and our mile meter said 11 miles at the finish so not sure what is the accurate actual mileage. This is a fairly tough loop but beautiful views throughout. Recommend leaving early and avoid as much of the heat of the day as possible. We each went through a full camelback bag of water and could have used a bit more. Took us 2 hours to peak with some stops and a bit more back, lost the trail for a short time on the way down, just about the same location as the previous review of this trail, but thankfully had the all trails map on our phone. Highly recommend but should be in good shape.

beautiful hike. went counter close wise. all trails saved me from going off trail!

Tue May 28 2019

Murray Hill Loop| May 19, 2019. This trail is rated as “hard” on #alltrails and I would agree. The way up the mountain is about 3.5 miles and just over 2,000 feet of elevation gain. It took us about 1 hour and 45 minutes to get to the peak with stopping to take pictures. The view at the top is amazing and there is a bench to relax on. We wondered how they were able to carry up the bench?? It was the way down that was more challenging. As seen on the all trails elevation map there is a very steep grade on the way down. It actually goes all the way down to a dry river bed and then climbs again. We accidentally wandered off the trail at the river bed because it is not well marked. Luckily I had service and used maps to get back on the trail but it added a mile. We brought 70 oz. of water and used every drop. Overall a great trail and it ended up being a good workout. I do wish it was marked better but the views were worth it! Check out some pictures and videos on Instagram @adventures_4_three

Sun Mar 31 2019

March 23. Desert flowers were gorgeous. Tons of lizards. Great hike! Picnic tables at the summit. Strenuous for the unfit hiker. Would recommend poles and hiking shoes for the down hill bits if you have wobbly knees. Bring lots of water. Be mindful of rattlers.

Sat Mar 23 2019

Was a very safe trail for us, with great views and a great workout. My wife and I was able to do it in 4 1/2 hours the entire loop. Had good hiking boots and we do not use polls and had two good size bottles of water each, which was just right for us.

Mon Mar 11 2019

My husband and I are in our 60’s and we found the Murry hill trail to be very rewarding but can be pretty tough going the last half mile. It took us about six hours round trip. I would recommend bringing 8 ounces of water each and some protein. Absolutely love hiking in beautiful Palm Springs!!

Fri Mar 01 2019

Beautiful, a lot of inclines and declines, as well as flat parts so you can recover. I did about 8 miles from Bogart to Murray Peak, and returned the same route. Best work out and amazing views!

Mon Feb 11 2019

Hard I bugged out early

Mon Dec 10 2018

this isn't a hard hike, and is very easy to navigate since you can see the city below at all times

Sun Dec 09 2018

Loved it! Love the challenge! Six of us ladies came from Bay Area to hike this trail. I’m the least experienced hiker among us but my friends were awesome. They waited for me and now we have great memories of our trip!

Thu May 31 2018

This was a difficult trail. I consider myself in relatively good shape, and run 25 or so miles a week. This kicked my butt. Going counterclockwise, the ascent was unrelenting. The heat didn’t help (started at 7 am at 80 degrees, and ended nearly 5 hours later at 102). Do not underestimate this hike. Bring lots of water - more than you think you’ll need. The GPS on AllTrails was hugely helpful as the trail was confusing at times.

Fri May 25 2018

Good trail, nice views from the top

Tue Mar 20 2018

As a Palm Springs residence this one of the best trails in the area and one my favorites. Great scenes and if you’re lucky, you may see mountain Sheep as well. Please don’t take dogs beyond the posted signs, since we did encounter a person taking a dog.

Fri Mar 16 2018

Nice hike. Hard but not difficult. Steep climbs but good trail and footing. Would do it again. Nice desert views. Recommend GPS and enough battery as multiple trails interconnect and can get off route.

Sat Mar 03 2018

Not that hard. Nice afternoon hike. It was very windy at the top but a fun hike. I’m not hugely in shape but this was very doable. Recommended Trail with nice views

Sun Feb 25 2018

Great hike. Took me 2.5 hours, which was a pretty good workout. Beautiful views. Totally worth it. The app was great to keep me on the right path

Sat Feb 10 2018

Not really that hard, but some beautiful scenery, vistas and rock formations. Really gives one a true appreciation of the beauty of the desert.

Thu Nov 09 2017

Great hike, quite an uphill climb, but the views at the top are amazing. Can’t believe they have picnic tables up there. Had the perfect day weather wise, light cloud cover, around 80. The trail was slightly washed out in one part on the way down, and my phone died, so no gps, which ended up in my adding Berns Trail to the loop. Ended up doing over 10 miles. Only met 3 people on the entire hike.

Wed Mar 01 2017

I'm not sure why there are no reviews of this trail but, as a novice-to-intermediate hiker, I found it challenging, but very rewarding. After the initial one-mile ascent, the trail plateaus between the mountains for some scenic and peaceful hiking. The uphill to Murray Hill is quite doable and those picnic benches are a welcome sight.