Murphy Ranch Trail

Murphy Ranch Trail is a 3.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Pacific Palisades, California that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

historic site

A moderate hike out to the remains of a Nazi camp.

This trail is filled with amazing views. When my friends and I went we were taken back by the beauty of the trees and the area alone. Would definitely go back!!

This is not a hike. It’s a walk along a paved fire road and paved trail for 75% of the loop. Fun little loop if you’re into abondoned buildings and graffiti. The Nazi sympathizer ranch is interesting but I wouldn’t recommend this if you’re looking to tackle some terrain. Like I said, this is a walk - not a hike.

The trailhead can be a little tricky to find (it’s in the back of a neighborhood), but once you do you’re in for treat. The trail is well defined, the scenery is lush, and the sense of scale is incredible.

I have done this hike on three separate occasions and have enjoyed every single one. The first two times every building was left intact and we got to explore them fully, while the third time one of them was torn out (I believe in was the machine shed).

Based on my experience it gets a five, however, if the buildings have truly been torn out (I haven’t found current article claiming one way or the other), it would drop down to a three.

I enjoyed this hike so much. it's sad that they tore it down.

Make sure you go LEFT at the forkbat 1.25 miles in. you can either go left and go DOWN or go right and go UP. To the right looks more offcial because its the Sullivan Fire Road but it will not take you to Murphy Ranch. It will actually take you to a boy scount camp (dead-end) and mountain biking trails, NOT Murphy Ranch. I will be going back to try this again :-)

One of my favorite hikes I’ve ever been on! Of course I love graffiti and abandoned places full of mystery so... with a nice mix of beautiful nature that’s not too overcrowded when you go off the main paths! Can’t wait to come back

This is a 4.75 mile hike, not a 3.45 mile hike. When getting there you need to park up the street DO NOT continue down the narrow road to to left. The map on this hike is different. We followed to road until we saw spray paint on the road that said “Murphy’s Ranch” pointing to the left. Followed that half a mile to a “Y” in the road, we went to the right, which loops around to the left path we didn’t take. Great hike! Will be back now that we know where to go!

Disclaimer: If this review makes no sense it's because there's no autosave on this apps. Had to rewrite it a few times.

I accidentally found this trail. I intended on going to the Rustic Canyon Trail but somehow after missing a turn, my GPS took me up a winding hill through a beautiful neighborhood in the Palisades.

Although I'd seen pictures of this particular trail and noticed that it was one of the closest ones to me I always went to others e.g. Escondido, Temescal, Solstice etc. to explore. This is an interesting trail with a history that I'm sure you'll read in other reviews. I don't want to give the wrong story about what it was built for. I heard 2 different stories of the history of this place.

I felt like Chicago Jones instead of Indiana as I walked through the ruins of the trail. There's a lot of graffiti on the path and although some of it is cool, I wasn't a fan of empty spray cans and paint on the natural surfaces e.g. trees, rocks and sides of cliffs. The juxtaposition of nature and man-made structures was cool in that in the future when people look back at a place like this they'll hear its origin story and see the graffiti (hieroglyphics) and be able to interpret the messages that people left.

The trail is cool and the only reason I didn't take the stairs is because I wanted to stay on the path to prevent from getting lost. Since I went solo and had no idea what was in store I figured for my safety and lack of cell phone service it was better to explore but stay on the trail. Next time I go I will try to enter from another entrance so that I can try the stairs and maybe see things that I may have missed.

All in all I would suggest this place as a moderately difficult trail. There's still a lot that I want to see so I'll be returning. There are some cool views of the ocean and with all of the buildings some cool photo opps. If you get a chance check it out.

My all time favorite trail the stairs are a killer but its worth the walk

Too much litter- interesting history but no need to do this hike again.

Dog friendly hike. Parking is a bit weird. If you’re coming from the Hollywood side and you’re in the residential area just park by a house. If you start going down a narrow street there’s no parking there and turning around is a beetch. Also a ton of construction happening right before you hit the trail the last time I went. A few of the structures are still up it’s nice to look at. Would be creepy af at night I would imagine some meth heads there or something but yea :) do it. Enjoy!

A very brave way decorated with graffiti. Get ready for a lot of steps halfway up.

Mostly an asphalt road- not enough nature for my liking

Nice hike with cool scenery. Only downfall is the excessive amount of trash left behind by people.

The old Nazi buildings were fun to look at. There are a lot of people though. I always say hi as I am passing people. I said hi to at least one hundred people, only got two back. :( It was okay for a one time trip. Will not be back.

Some people are complaining that there's graffiti and concrete on this hike. LMAO! Do yourselves a favor and research the hike before jumping into it.

This is my second time going through this hike and i'm surprised that the structures are stilll standing (heard that the city of LA was going to destroy the buildings).

There's a long set of stairs near the start of the hike that you can choose to descend first to get to the different structures and ruins OR you can choose to continue on the road. The stairs descend/ascend steeply so watch your step.

There's a youtube video that briefly talks about the history of the trail: https://youtu.be/ODThe9LTC-k

Spray paint on EVERYTHING. And the concrete stairs and fire road take away from the nature setting. Certainly good for a quick elevation change, but not too esthetically pleasing.

Do you like stairs? Do you like graffiti? Do you hate Nazis but like their hideouts? Then this is the hike for you! Pro tip: park on Casale Street to the right and the walk down to the trailhead via Capri to the left.

Loved this place! We found a short cut that took probably 15 -20 minutes off the hike. We were able to see a graffiti artist at work while we were hiking. Very easy hike. Perfect for a light workout. The spray painted directions on the ground was very helpful. Great scenery

Excellent hike. The weather was great and the scenery was just as great.

Really cool hike. We went down the stairs and back up the trail. You could do it either way. The stairs were difficult to go down at times, as they are uneven and there is no rail. We wondered if it would be easier to hike UP the stairs.

One of my favorite LA hikes, absolute must-do!

Take sunscreen, lip balm and bug spray! Mixture of road, dirt trails and narrow stairs. Good graffiti to look at and some old buildings. You can see all the way to the ocean down the canyon on a clear day.

Pretty simple hike. Not very steep. Definitely interesting scenery.

Lived up to its hype!

Simple, fun stroll

Wow wow wow. So much cool stuff to see!!! Really great, unique trail. There's A LOT of old stairs left over and they kick your ass. I left my yellow and tortoise shell Ray Bans down there and I didn't want to go back down to get them!!! If you find them, send me a message. Haha.

Stairs are killer!!!

Parking is free if you park in the residential areas nearby. Pay attention to signs.

Very easy to manage through with plenty of points of interest. One star off for being the dirtiest hike I've done to date. Trash is plenty about!

Beautiful abandoned buildings adorned with graffiti. Careful at the stable it's gated but can easily be bypassed, bees have claimed residency.

Seems to be heavily trafficked. I started at 6am and already saw a handful of people already.