Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Murphy Ranch Trail

Murphy Ranch Trail is a 3.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Pacific Palisades, California that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

partially paved

historic site

Be advised. This hike involves stairs and quite a lot of them! Be mindful of this if you’re bringing your dog or looking for a hike and you haven’t done one in quite awhile. You have to do the stairs on the way up, so make sure you save some energy for it! They’re kind of steep and can be brutal if you’re not ready for it. The road to there has great views of the coastline. First part of the walk is on a road. You have to park in the neighborhood. Then from there basically follow the graffiti ! There’s no shade on the road. You come to a yellow gate that blocks cars, keep going. You’ll come to another fence with an opening and you’ll see stairs to the right. 524 steps. It is best to walk clockwise in the loop, starting by going down the stairs to the left. The stairs are long and a bit short and narrow - so watch your step! At the bottom of the stairs continue left to walk around the compound. It is super interesting to see 1930's structures here knowing it was an old ant-semitic / Nazi activity campground.

This was a really fun trail that I did with my dog (off leash- he's good at coming when called and I can keep him on trail). It's fun because it's got great views and so many path options. I had to keep track with photos of the routes I was taking. We went down the stairs to the tagged bunker at the bottom.... It's got to be at least 800 steps! I'll definitely be back. Remember to leave a note with someone of where you're going and when you'll be returning if you're traveling alone. There was no cell service on parts of the trail.

private property

There’s free residential street parking and then walk about 5 min to the trail head. Beginning is a paved fire road and there’s 2 ways to do the hike. You come to a fenced area on the left and you can take the many narrow stairs down, walk around the compound and if you keep following GPS, you follow the dirt trail up and join back the fire road if you want to avoid the stairs. If you want to climb UP the stairs, pass the fence and keep going for about 5 minutes and go left and you’ll do the above loop backwards. Really nice hike but we saw 2 snakes!

Incredible hike. If you take the route that All Trails recommends, the loop back takes you up this thin concrete staircase up the mountain side. Amazing workout and view!

Solid hike with decent shade and great sightseeing/history. Watch out for ticks...we went yesterday (3/29/19) and my friend got one on her stomach but we found it in time and was able to pull it out.

Definitely my fav one in LA so far. Very fun and has lots of shade. Many trees and refreshingly green. Has a theme and people are extremely friendly don’t know why. Probably they are as happy as I do hahah

Lots of graffiti and great stairs at the end! The rest of the walk was just on a road.

lots of asphalt and kind of boring but the ruins were cool.

Really confusing to find without gps, I didn’t realize the actual road was the trail. Got really pretty and loved the stairs but I was lost in a thicket and encountered multiple other lost people. Just stay in the fire road all the way and it turns into a sort of trail.

This trail has great views but I live to see water and greenery on my hikes and the Murphy ranch trail doesn’t provide a lot of that.

Great trail. Lots of fun areas to explore

Great trail. Lots of fun areas to explore

I love this place, great for photo shoots, those 500 steps such tiring but worth it. So much to explore, only got a bit of it, nice view as well.

Really nice and easy little hike . Perfect for families or pets . You can view downtown LA once u get to the top .

Be advised. This hike involves stairs and quite a bit of them(524 steps) ! Be mindful of this if you’re bringing your dog or looking for a hike and you haven’t done one in quite awhile. You have to do the stairs on the way up, so make sure you save some energy for it! They’re kind of steep and can be brutal if you’re not ready for it. Other than that I loved the hike once I got down the stairs. There’s a lot to explore. There’s different trails that head off Here and there. I definitely want to go back and explore. There’s a lot of ppl there when I went (Saturday at about 1) The road to there has great views of the coastline. First part of the walk is on a road. You have to park in the neighborhood. Then from there basically follow the graffiti ! There’s no shade on the road. You come to a yellow gate that blocks cars, keep going. You’ll come to another fence with an opening and you’ll see stairs to the right. 524 steps. It’s cooler once you get down. Shaded well. There was a little creek. I didn’t get to go to the nazi house. We came up to the first painted house and explored around. My friend was getting tired so we headed back. She went up the stairs next to the graffitied house. I went through the back of the house. If youre not doing the whole loop and want to see me more (or avoid stairs) I’d suggest cutting though the back of the house. There’s another building with cool graffiti on it. You come to a wall then go up the side. They both lead to the same spot. You take a right from there, go down the road then take a left. You’ll arrive at the stairs that brought you down. At least once you’re up then the walk back to your car is downhill.

Easy hike as long as you take the stairs down (as we did) and complete the loop from there, clockwise. Very cool to see the old ruins!

I was worried this was just another paved fire road with a view but when you go thru the fence and down the cement stairs you’re into another world. Great glute workout on the way back up too. Make sure you take a left thru the opening in the fence!

Went again on dec 16, 2018. It’s amazing! This time I didn’t miss the “entrance” of the loop (the break of the fence) and when you goes down the steps, it feels like you are diving into the embrace of the mountains and green trees. Gorgeous view for mountain lovers! But be mindful since the steps are narrow and small, and full of shades. If you came late without flashlight it might be too dark to see anything and unsafe. I didn’t finish the steps because it was dawn time and I walked back in darkness. A group of guys was going down the steps, and from far they thought I was a bear climbing up the stairs to attack them and freaked out.

Nice hike/walk to do for beginners and those looking for a bit of creepy history. As others have posted, it is best to walk clockwise in the loop, starting by going down the stairs to the left. The stairs are long and a bit short and narrow - so watch your step! At the bottom of the stairs continue left to walk around the compound. It is super interesting to see 1930's structures here knowing it was an old ant-semitic / Nazi activity campground. That said - it's not at all sad that it's since been burned down and many buildings have been demolished because eff the Nazi's. The walk itself offers quite a bit of shade and is mostly paved (~75%) as you are walking essentially a driveway around the compound. I wouldn't recommend this hike for someone who is looking for more nature or for something strenuous. There is a LOT of litter here including a lot of beer bottles, spray paint cans and cigarettes which can detract from the experience for some. I more am interested in that whoever wanted to go smoke weed and paint graffiti here made such an effort to walk all the way there. So more props to them I guess?

I love this hike, however, today there was a man on a mountain bike with a machete clearing a hiking trail so they can start mountain biking on this single track. Then on another part - where the backbone meets the Murphy Ranch trails there were 5 mountain bikers speeding down the trail and it is clearly marked NO BIKES. Hoping that Park Rangers can get out there and clearly mark that this area is no bikes. Bikes are permitted on the road all the way out to Camp Josepho.

Definitely Recommended !!!

Not very challenging, but do not underestimate the stairs. My buddy was dying on the way back. Kind of hard to find the entrance. A lot of interesting graffiti everywhere. Very green right now.

Believe it or not the graffiti (an the unique graffiti house at the bottom of the trail) is the highlight of this trail. Make sure you do the loop clockwise. There is a gate (more like a break in the fence) to the left just at the beginning of the loop. Go through this gate a walk down lots of steep steps. Make a left at the bottom of the steps to continue along the trail. If you choose to do the loop in a counter clockwise fashion you may have trouble finding the steps to go back up (the entrance was not so clear and you have to climb up a ton of very steep stairs. I would definitely recommend doing the loop clockwise.

WARNING The entrance of the loop (not the starting of the whole route) is not obviously and can be easily missed! I thought if I kept walking on the paved road I would eventually go into the loop and loop back, but that didn’t happen. Not until I walked 4 miles did I realized I was probably off the track because the while trail suppers to be 3.4 mile and I haven’t seen repeated scene. When I walked back in darkness, I checked the map and saw two open parts on the fences under my flashlight, and there were staircases going down. I suppose that’s the loop... it’s really not obvious and clear, I’d suggest everyone to check their map if it’s their first time here, and maybe read the graffiti on road, though there were also misleading ones like “truck —>” and pointed to the cliff. Other than that, it’s a easy, mostly-paved route, and the scenery is amazing!

If you ever want to hike, get a small work out and explore? this is the place to be. Murphy's ranch and all it's history, you will find a cool trail that will lead you to a gate fance. you can either go down the stairs to the broken road, make a left and just follow the loop all the way around the site. 2 miles of wonderful views ! I recommend this hike at night time. I did it last night with my group. visit my i.g page at Skyhighhiking

There was a bit of construction going on near the entrance of the trail since there are new houses being built, but the hike is really worth it. Lots of interesting scenery and without a doubt, that all the abandoned houses will have graffiti on them. Only thing I wished to see more was some trail markers, me and my friend had to go by trying to find spray painted arrows to try and find out where we wanted to go.