Murphy Ranch Trail is a 3.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Pacific Palisades, California that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

wheelchair friendly

partially paved

historic site

A moderate hike out to the remains of a Nazi camp.

Not very challenging, but do not underestimate the stairs. My buddy was dying on the way back.

Kind of hard to find the entrance. A lot of interesting graffiti everywhere. Very green right now.

Believe it or not the graffiti (an the unique graffiti house at the bottom of the trail) is the highlight of this trail. Make sure you do the loop clockwise. There is a gate (more like a break in the fence) to the left just at the beginning of the loop. Go through this gate a walk down lots of steep steps. Make a left at the bottom of the steps to continue along the trail. If you choose to do the loop in a counter clockwise fashion you may have trouble finding the steps to go back up (the entrance was not so clear and you have to climb up a ton of very steep stairs. I would definitely recommend doing the loop clockwise.

WARNING The entrance of the loop (not the starting of the whole route) is not obviously and can be easily missed!

I thought if I kept walking on the paved road I would eventually go into the loop and loop back, but that didn’t happen. Not until I walked 4 miles did I realized I was probably off the track because the while trail suppers to be 3.4 mile and I haven’t seen repeated scene.

When I walked back in darkness, I checked the map and saw two open parts on the fences under my flashlight, and there were staircases going down. I suppose that’s the loop... it’s really not obvious and clear, I’d suggest everyone to check their map if it’s their first time here, and maybe read the graffiti on road, though there were also misleading ones like “truck —>” and pointed to the cliff.

Other than that, it’s a easy, mostly-paved route, and the scenery is amazing!

If you ever want to hike, get a small work out and explore? this is the place to be. Murphy's ranch and all it's history, you will find a cool trail that will lead you to a gate fance. you can either go down the stairs to the broken road, make a left and just follow the loop all the way around the site. 2 miles of wonderful views !
I recommend this hike at night time.
I did it last night with my group.
visit my i.g page at Skyhighhiking

There was a bit of construction going on near the entrance of the trail since there are new houses being built, but the hike is really worth it. Lots of interesting scenery and without a doubt, that all the abandoned houses will have graffiti on them. Only thing I wished to see more was some trail markers, me and my friend had to go by trying to find spray painted arrows to try and find out where we wanted to go.

lots of shade in lush valley, and also good views on ridgetop

Easy access with reasonable amount of shade along the way. Big part of the trail is paved.

This was a very nice trail. Would rate as easy-moderate. Definitely would suggest exploring each little treasure around during the hike. Adds more time but the graffiti art is very pretty.

Entrance is at the end of a construction road past a yellow gate once you leave the residential area. You’ll walk until you hit a fork- to the left there is a gate entrance and to the right is more paved road. Both loop around & bring you back to the beginning of the fork.
If you want a good butt workout, I would suggest going to the right. The end (left gate entrance) is a long flight of stairs that will definitely tire you out.

Easy to get to from LA and easy to park in the nearby residential area. Good for an easy hike with some unique sights and tons of graffiti. Barely any people and good for dogs.

Holly Molly I was dying! LoL for beginners is not completely a place to start because woooo LORT! I was dying lol I didn’t do the stairs down to the Nazi area because I knew my ass wasn’t going to be able to come back up HA! My hubby said it’s an amazing work out he liked very much. I just started the whole hiking thing so maybe in the future I can go back once I’m more in shape. Other then that really cool place to take in the peace and what not

This was a nice walk with the added interest that it was an old Nazi camp. The graffiti kind of adds some humor to the walk. Parking was ok but you have to respectful of the residents as there are lots of No Parking areas. We really enjoyed the day as it was not too hot. I would do this one again.

This trail is filled with amazing views. When my friends and I went we were taken back by the beauty of the trees and the area alone. Would definitely go back!!

This is not a hike. It’s a walk along a paved fire road and paved trail for 75% of the loop. Fun little loop if you’re into abondoned buildings and graffiti. The Nazi sympathizer ranch is interesting but I wouldn’t recommend this if you’re looking to tackle some terrain. Like I said, this is a walk - not a hike.

The trailhead can be a little tricky to find (it’s in the back of a neighborhood), but once you do you’re in for treat. The trail is well defined, the scenery is lush, and the sense of scale is incredible.

I have done this hike on three separate occasions and have enjoyed every single one. The first two times every building was left intact and we got to explore them fully, while the third time one of them was torn out (I believe in was the machine shed).

Based on my experience it gets a five, however, if the buildings have truly been torn out (I haven’t found current article claiming one way or the other), it would drop down to a three.

I enjoyed this hike so much. it's sad that they tore it down.

Make sure you go LEFT at the forkbat 1.25 miles in. you can either go left and go DOWN or go right and go UP. To the right looks more offcial because its the Sullivan Fire Road but it will not take you to Murphy Ranch. It will actually take you to a boy scount camp (dead-end) and mountain biking trails, NOT Murphy Ranch. I will be going back to try this again :-)

One of my favorite hikes I’ve ever been on! Of course I love graffiti and abandoned places full of mystery so... with a nice mix of beautiful nature that’s not too overcrowded when you go off the main paths! Can’t wait to come back

This is a 4.75 mile hike, not a 3.45 mile hike. When getting there you need to park up the street DO NOT continue down the narrow road to to left. The map on this hike is different. We followed to road until we saw spray paint on the road that said “Murphy’s Ranch” pointing to the left. Followed that half a mile to a “Y” in the road, we went to the right, which loops around to the left path we didn’t take. Great hike! Will be back now that we know where to go!

Disclaimer: If this review makes no sense it's because there's no autosave on this apps. Had to rewrite it a few times.

I accidentally found this trail. I intended on going to the Rustic Canyon Trail but somehow after missing a turn, my GPS took me up a winding hill through a beautiful neighborhood in the Palisades.

Although I'd seen pictures of this particular trail and noticed that it was one of the closest ones to me I always went to others e.g. Escondido, Temescal, Solstice etc. to explore. This is an interesting trail with a history that I'm sure you'll read in other reviews. I don't want to give the wrong story about what it was built for. I heard 2 different stories of the history of this place.

I felt like Chicago Jones instead of Indiana as I walked through the ruins of the trail. There's a lot of graffiti on the path and although some of it is cool, I wasn't a fan of empty spray cans and paint on the natural surfaces e.g. trees, rocks and sides of cliffs. The juxtaposition of nature and man-made structures was cool in that in the future when people look back at a place like this they'll hear its origin story and see the graffiti (hieroglyphics) and be able to interpret the messages that people left.

The trail is cool and the only reason I didn't take the stairs is because I wanted to stay on the path to prevent from getting lost. Since I went solo and had no idea what was in store I figured for my safety and lack of cell phone service it was better to explore but stay on the trail. Next time I go I will try to enter from another entrance so that I can try the stairs and maybe see things that I may have missed.

All in all I would suggest this place as a moderately difficult trail. There's still a lot that I want to see so I'll be returning. There are some cool views of the ocean and with all of the buildings some cool photo opps. If you get a chance check it out.

My all time favorite trail the stairs are a killer but its worth the walk

Too much litter- interesting history but no need to do this hike again.

Dog friendly hike. Parking is a bit weird. If you’re coming from the Hollywood side and you’re in the residential area just park by a house. If you start going down a narrow street there’s no parking there and turning around is a beetch. Also a ton of construction happening right before you hit the trail the last time I went. A few of the structures are still up it’s nice to look at. Would be creepy af at night I would imagine some meth heads there or something but yea :) do it. Enjoy!

A very brave way decorated with graffiti. Get ready for a lot of steps halfway up.

Mostly an asphalt road- not enough nature for my liking

Nice hike with cool scenery. Only downfall is the excessive amount of trash left behind by people.

The old Nazi buildings were fun to look at. There are a lot of people though. I always say hi as I am passing people. I said hi to at least one hundred people, only got two back. :( It was okay for a one time trip. Will not be back.

Some people are complaining that there's graffiti and concrete on this hike. LMAO! Do yourselves a favor and research the hike before jumping into it.

This is my second time going through this hike and i'm surprised that the structures are stilll standing (heard that the city of LA was going to destroy the buildings).

There's a long set of stairs near the start of the hike that you can choose to descend first to get to the different structures and ruins OR you can choose to continue on the road. The stairs descend/ascend steeply so watch your step.

There's a youtube video that briefly talks about the history of the trail: https://youtu.be/ODThe9LTC-k

Spray paint on EVERYTHING. And the concrete stairs and fire road take away from the nature setting. Certainly good for a quick elevation change, but not too esthetically pleasing.

Do you like stairs? Do you like graffiti? Do you hate Nazis but like their hideouts? Then this is the hike for you! Pro tip: park on Casale Street to the right and the walk down to the trailhead via Capri to the left.

Loved this place! We found a short cut that took probably 15 -20 minutes off the hike. We were able to see a graffiti artist at work while we were hiking. Very easy hike. Perfect for a light workout. The spray painted directions on the ground was very helpful. Great scenery