Murphy Creek Trail to Polly Dome Lake

Murphy Creek Trail to Polly Dome Lake is a 6.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Mariposa, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October.

We passed through this area on our way in and out of a larger loop that took us past Glen Aulin to McCabe Lake and eventually around and up the Grand Canyon of the Toulome. This portion of the trail was well maintained and relatively easy. We saw a number of families with young children packing in. I would definitely recommend this to anyone looking for a nice day hike or overnighter.

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

This was my 7 year old daughter's first backpacking trip and I think it was the perfect trail. The trail is listed at 2.5 miles, but my GS said we walked 3 miles to Polly Dome lake. We wet over 4th of July weekend and I had applied for the permit 6 months out, but there were two guys camping at the lake that said they got a first come first serve permit that same day. As far as we could see, there were only three groups or couples camped at the lake. We found a site with a fire ring, but decided to have a joint campfire with the two guys camped near us. The water is clean and clear. We boiled the water before use. The mosquitoes were pretty bad and we had our only can of off malfunction on us. Had to puncture the can and pour onto tissues. I would do the hike again.
GPS coordinated for lake are
N 37 51'45.4
W 119 27'22.9

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

For a 2 day backpacking trip, this is an amazing option to consider. Since the lake is off-trail, it is in pristine condition :)

Monday, August 11, 2014

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

great light hike. we saw 2 other people all day on the trail. peaceful and flat. great views.