Learn more

Mumford Bar Trail is a 11.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Foresthill, California that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Length 11.5 mi Elevation gain 5,485 ft Route type Out & Back

Over grown

Waypoints (0)
Contact
Getting There

California Travel and Tourism Commision, P.O. Box 1499 , Sacramento, CA, 95812-1499, Phone: 800-862-2543

Directions from I-80: Take the Foresthill exit and proceed 15.5 miles on Foresthill Road to the Foresthill Ranger Station. 17 miles beyond the Ranger Station you will see the trailhead sign on the left. To access the trail, there is a 5/8 of a mile long road, which starts out as a 2 wheel-drive road, but becomes a 4 wheel-drive road. 2 wheel-drive vehicles should park in the developed area on top.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (39)
Photos (26)
Recordings (7)
Completed (52)
Christeen Rolle
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 22, 2020
BackpackingBlowdownSnow

Backpacking in april 2020 snow was packed up to my knee lots of trees that were down.we have to climb over the down trees. love the solitude. we camp over nite not to far from the beaten up cabin. saw 2 bears crossing the river.

Carla P.
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 18, 2020
HikingBugsOver grown

My daughters & I stumbled onto this hike when we couldn’t find the one we were looking for. So we decided to take this. That was a mistake. The trail was very overgrown, so we weren’t even sure if we were going the right way. So we turned around & came back.

Wendy Bjeldanes
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 3, 2020
Hiking

Trail is fairly well maintained to the river. Climb out is hard work. Took 2.5 hrs with a 40 lb backpack. Worth it considering the beautiful wild river access.

View Wendy's Recording
Alexandros X
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 21, 2020
HikingOver grownRocky

Just finished this one. Started out at the campground, descended about a half mile on a fire trail, whereupon the Mumford Trail splits off on the right as a single track trail. From there, descended approximately 3 miles down switchbacks to the river. The trail is mostly shady, probably 2/3 of it in the shade and 1/3 exposed. Went to check out the cabin, but it was difficult to get to due to the overgrowth. Also the roof was caved in. Continued on for about 10 more minutes and found a good spot by the river to have lunch and swim a bit. Saw a water snake as I was getting out so that startled me a bit. The hike up was fairly challenging, in part because of the switch backs, but the rocky terrain and brush adds a little more difficulty. Ascended from the river to the main parking lot in 1 hr 53 min. I'd recommend long pants and a long shirt on this one to protect against the brush, some of which has thorns. This will also help with the poison oak and mosquitoes. Also bring sunblock and bug spray. In terms of water, I brought 4 liters and drank 3 of them. Overall it was a nice hike. The views were decent, but you couldn't see the river until you basically got on top of it. Very isolated, only saw 6 people from the time I left my car until i came back. I'd consider doing it again if the trail gets to be maintained a little better.

Ryan Vaughan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJune 20, 2020
BackpackingBugsOver grown

I did this one as an overnight 6/20-6/21. I clocked it at 4.2 miles each way from the trailhead parking/campground to the river. It's fairly overgrown in spots and lots of downed trees to climb over. A handful of beautiful views of the ridge on the other side of the river. I didn't see an obvious river crossing (and I was tired), so I stayed on the same side of the river the whole time.

Lindsey R
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 6, 2020
Hiking

This trail was not that bad and should be no trouble for experienced hikers who are used to more remote, less trafficked trails. There were overgrown sections, but were totally passable. Most of the trail was not overgrown. The area was burned a few years ago, but it is an interesting study in fire ecology to see how the forest is re-growing. Bring bug spray, mosquitos were bad, especially at the river. The cabin is , unfortunately, in bad shape due to a tree falling on the roof. On the way back up we ran into a mama bear and her one cub. She definitely kept and eye on us, but we moved through without issue. I would recommend bear spray to be safe. This trail is less steep than Euchre Bar and Italian Bar, just longer. We hiked out in 2 hours. And it was beautiful!

Melissa M
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMay 10, 2020
HikingBugsMuddyOff trailOver grownWashed out

This trail is terrible. It’s over grown with sage brush covering majority of the trail, easy to get lost, burnt down... and very very very steep. Even as an avid hiker it was hard for me. Lots of dirt bikes as well.

Aaron S
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 3, 2020
HikingBlowdownNo shade

Did this one in one afternoon. 8.2 miles round trip miles from parking lot..some serious steep sections even with the switchbacks. Half shaded/open. Poison oak along the trail in numerous spots. Saw a black bear on the way down near the river. Never did find the cabin, maybe I didn’t go far enough along the river.. Be prepared for a tough hike up 2,500’ elevation home. It’s a soul searcher!

Michelle Maldonado
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarApril 24, 2020
HikingOff trailOver grownSnow

A lot of snow!!! Maybe next time...

justin f
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarFebruary 25, 2020
HikingBugsIcyMuddyOff trailRockySnow
View justin's Recording
Courtney Centeno
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 25, 2019
HikingBugsOver grown

Bug spray! Kickass hike. Peaceful, lush, challenging... you're a stud if you hit this trail!!!

Daniel Barbee
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 15, 2019
Hiking

Really nice trail. The Hawk is still there and attacked me three/four times before I could get out of the area. A little tougher on the way back up.

Nicholas Sutton
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarApril 17, 2019
HikingBugs

The trailhead starts right off of Foresthill Rd. and is consistently downhill all the way to the river. The elevation gain on the way back up is what makes the trail difficult. My advice is to bring plenty of bug spray because the mosquitos are brutal in the summer and fall. I encounter bear nearly every time I’ve done this trail and although I’ve never had to use it, I recommend keeping bear spray close by.