Mumford Bar Trail is a 11.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Foresthill, California that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 11.5 miles Elevation Gain: 5,485 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Directions from I-80: Take the Foresthill exit and proceed 15.5 miles on Foresthill Road to the Foresthill Ranger Station. 17 miles beyond the Ranger Station you will see the trailhead sign on the left. To access the trail, there is a 5/8 of a mile long road, which starts out as a 2 wheel-drive road, but becomes a 4 wheel-drive road. 2 wheel-drive vehicles should park in the developed area on top.

This trail is terrible. It’s over grown with sage brush covering majority of the trail, easy to get lost, burnt down... and very very very steep. Even as an avid hiker it was hard for me. Lots of dirt bikes as well.

Did this one in one afternoon. 8.2 miles round trip miles from parking lot..some serious steep sections even with the switchbacks. Half shaded/open. Poison oak along the trail in numerous spots. Saw a black bear on the way down near the river. Never did find the cabin, maybe I didn’t go far enough along the river.. Be prepared for a tough hike up 2,500’ elevation home. It’s a soul searcher!

A lot of snow!!! Maybe next time...

icy

Bug spray! Kickass hike. Peaceful, lush, challenging... you're a stud if you hit this trail!!!

Really nice trail. The Hawk is still there and attacked me three/four times before I could get out of the area. A little tougher on the way back up.

Wed Apr 17 2019

The trailhead starts right off of Foresthill Rd. and is consistently downhill all the way to the river. The elevation gain on the way back up is what makes the trail difficult. My advice is to bring plenty of bug spray because the mosquitos are brutal in the summer and fall. I encounter bear nearly every time I’ve done this trail and although I’ve never had to use it, I recommend keeping bear spray close by.

Fri Nov 09 2018

Jeff Olson (11-7-18, Wednesday): From the campsite at Foresthill Road it is just under 1 mile to the beginning of the trail where there is a metal box where you can put on paper your experience for others to read. The trail is down from the box to the right. This trail was cleared Spring 2018; downed trees and blackberry bushes were cleared all the way to the river. The trail has a pretty steady grade of 20-40 degrees all the way down, a little steeper closer to the river. I took 2 hours going down, taking my time. It took me 2.8 hours back up, much harder! I didn't go up-river past the makeshift campsite at the end of this trail at the river. So I don't know if the trail upstream is clear of bushes, etc. No mosquitoes but gnats in abundance. A warm Fall season up to now, with barely freezing temperatures at night. I fished a little and caught a small trout. Easy with a pheasant tail nymph fly; released back into the river. A nice day-hike but strenuous. Once you reach the river, the big rocks just downstream a few hundred feet offer a nice place to relax, get some sun and swim or fish. Access to the river from the trail is very steep with few places to get down safely; one spot by the makeshift campsite. The miners cabin just past and up a few hundred feet from the makeshift campsite is well preserved and interesting to see. I saw nobody on or near the trail all day. One small creek about 1/3 the way down had a little water running; enough to filter if needed. I recommend 2 liters of water per person as you head up the trail from the river. No snakes, deer or bears seen. A nice day hike for the hardy hikers.

Sun Sep 09 2018

Did the out and back from Mumford Campground to Mumford Cabin and back with wife and daughter . Trail is in great shape, really enjoyed it! Some beautiful views of the canyon along the way. This hike is basically an easy 4.75 miles down and a solid effort back up. We recommend it!

Sun Jul 08 2018

Good physical challenge. Boring switchbacks mostly shaded. Trail is a continous steep grade all the way up the canyon. River is nice and there are blackberry bushes at the bottom. I went in july and drank all my 1.5l water and ran out about the last mi on a 90 degree day. There were a couple of creeks running on the way to get water. I would say wear bug spray and carry at least 3l of water or a backpacks straw to refill at the bottom.

Sun Jul 08 2018

To say that this trial is hard, would be an understatement! 11.5 miles from the campground is very accurate. The trail is very overgrown. To the point where we questioned if we had somehow gotten off the trail. To get down to the water is extremely difficult and steep! Bring bug spray! The mosquitos are horrendous! We gotten eaten alive! Make sure to bring plenty of water. We ran out on the way back and had to send my brother in law to refill our water bottles at the little water fall/spring. Not to be dramatic, but we thought we might die, and we’re not amateurs to hiking.

Mon Jun 18 2018

To add to the crazy stories from this trail, yesterday I was attacked by a nesting goshawk that built its nest right above the trail. A few good punctures to the back of the head. I would not recommend hiking this trail until later in the year when the chicks have left the nest.

Mon Oct 23 2017

Updated review: we just backpacked this trail overnight and it still isn't that bad, granted it's kinda late in the season (Oct 21), maybe we missed peak blackberry. We brought a big pair of hedge shears, a bow saw and the usual bear mace - didn't see any bears though. The blackberries and the brush along the trail need to be cut constantly but they aren't bad and there were only a few downed trees. Just make sure to wear long pants. As people said, this trail is intense, make sure you pack with that in mind. Remember to bring enough water for the climb, though if you have a filter there is an apparently reliable creek at N39.18596° W120.62842°, which is fairly near the top. I'll grant too that this was only supposed to be an access trail and there's nothing really exciting at the bottom - more of a do-it-just-to-say-you've-done-it sort of thing. I'm pretty sure that portion of this trail on the north half of the river no longer exists, or at any rate isn't maintained, since I've never heard of anyone who's done it, or even found it. I'm not sure if people here are referring to the trail that continues upriver as the part that's impassible. Technically that's the American River Trail (Mumford is only an access trail, like Beacroft and Sailor Flat, though since it doesn't really have it's own page yet I'll write this here): We went out there overnight to see how far we could get, and my verdict is that that trail is just...no. The entire canyon between Mumford and Sailor burned a decade ago, 99% of the trees are dead, and now it's the biggest brushfield-slash-snagfield I've ever seen. It looks like the Forest Service cleared the trail out to about a mile and a half from the end of Mumford, just past that little hill (IRL not so little and made of steep loose rock; don't try to climb) on the south side of the river - you can see it on the satellite pictures. Then you hit a wall of brush. It's worth going out there to see the canyon though. We spent two days bushwacking it (I prefer to call it extreme gardening) with the shears (though loppers would probably have been a bit more useful) and nearly got to Beacroft - though not on the trail...the trail is a lost cause. We went out to the end of the cleared trail and then cut through a wall of solid brush - and I mean like tunneling though it on hands and knees - to the river, and since the water's so low now we could follow the banks and rock bars upriver until the canyon got too steep. We cut back up to the trail around N39.21255 W120.58376 - a half-mile west of Beacroft - and found it still overgrown and impassible, though recognizable, and somehow marked with pink survey flags all the way along it for apparently the whole length. Overall it looks like we're going to have to wait for either the Forest Service to somehow clear it or for the forest to regrow and shade all of that brush out, which at this rate we'll be lucky to see in our lifetimes. I can't recommend camping out there either, but if you do obviously stay away from the dead trees, they're falling all the time, if you're out there long enough you'll hear them.

Tue Aug 01 2017

Wouldn't recommend. Went today. Got to the river where the black berry overgrowth is so large you can't get through without a machete like everyone said. But shortly after arriving there I came across a bear and her cubs and barely made it out alive. Then I ran into a man who apparently lives in the cabin out there right now. I was alone with my dog, it was scary and unforgettable to say the least. Hike back up was difficult.

Sun Jul 23 2017

Enter through a small campground. I parked near the campers and started my hike there. The signage is a little rough and then you come upon a sign that just says Trail that someone carved in wood. There's been a forest fire there recently so lots of fallen, cut down and burned trees everywhere. It's pretty desolate out there. Once you get to about 4 miles you see a river and a little further up you can walk out to it. I did 8.8 miles today. It's pretty boring for most of that way down. Be careful of the blackberry areas that haven't been cleared throughout the trail. Lots of thorns. Didn't see much poison oak which was kind of nice. Definitely hard climb back up.

Tue Jun 06 2017

Offers some good views of the canyon, but it is very overgrown in the bottom section. Once you near the river level, be prepared to go through lots of bushes hanging across the bath. Some have spines to I recommend lightweight pants. The trail along the river is great and there are a number of access points to go hang out on the rocks or swim. The GPS track shows a route up the other side of the canyon, but I couldn't find any river crossing.

Sat May 13 2017

In the summer 2016 went on a backpacking trip, spent the weekend. Trail is great and easy on the way down, once you get to the bottom it is overgrown with blackberries, bushes..and trail goes along the river but you have to cut your way through the whole time. Bring a machete. We ended up hiking in the river up and then down. Hiking back up was difficult, steep, with well over 100 switchbacks.