Mule Ridge Trail is a 14.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Redding, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, horses, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 14.5 miles Elevation Gain: 1,833 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Challenging day hike. Great views. Watch out for ticks.

Trailhead listed here doesn't seem to exist. We spent a while looking for something (a pull-off or parking area) and couldn't find anything. This was right around the intersection of Muletown and Potosi Road (the latter seems to be a private driveway). Maybe the original trailhead burned in the fire and hasn't been replaced? IDK. The paved road continued for a while, which I suppose would work for biking. But if you're looking to hike, this doesn't really seem to be a trail, so I'm confused about some of the other reviews. We ended up going back about 1.5 miles to an actual trailhead and doing a loop hike up to the top of Mule Mountain. That was great -- just don't plan on doing what is listed here as a hike.

My daughter and I ran out 6 miles and back. We loved it. The views are beautiful! Lots of wild flowers. We ran 12 miles total and 1,500 feet of climb. Definitely not easy. But doable. And worth it! The trail is really nice too.

Great sunny day before Thanksgiving. Lots burned tree but inspirational growth coming in too.

Mon Apr 29 2019

Love this trail! 3rd hike this weekend. Gorgeous seeing the regrowth and life again 9 months after The Carr Fire.

Thu Aug 30 2018

Takes you high above the westside ridges of Redding. Great views and an abundance of wildlife.

Sat Jul 07 2018

Great running trail although I used part of it. I started at the Mine loop, to canal loop, to Mule mountain pass, then mule loop to the summit and back. We are lucky to live were we do.

Wed Feb 07 2018

Great hike! Several offshoot trails along the way. Hiked a roundtrip of 10 miles-was fantastic with great views!

Fri Apr 26 2019