Muir Woods via the Bootjack Trail

Muir Woods via the Bootjack Trail is a 5.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Mill Valley, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

old growth

Every weekend during the summer months, signs on the main roads in Marin County start reading "Muir Woods Parking Lot Full," leaving those who crave a stroll among the wondrous Muir Woods redwoods two options: take a shuttle or try another day. But there is a third option -- Muir Woods National Monument is only two miles by trail from the Pantoll Ranger Station at neighboring Mount Tamalpais State Park. The out-and-back hike along the Bootjack Trail, plus a couple miles of wandering at the Monument, should yield about six miles of heaven under the big trees. There's about 800 feet of elevation loss/gain on a steep, challenging path down to the Monument, so it might be too much for beginners, but it's no big deal for experienced hikers. - CASH ONLY for vehicle registration. $8. You pay at the ranger's office then stick the permit on your windshield.

TIP:
- DESCEND via BOOTJACK then ASCEND via BEN JOHNSON.
- Trekking poles are very helpful on this trail.
- Shading gear I.E hat and sunglasses NOT a necessity as there's more than adequate shade from the greenery. Sunscreen for safety.
- WIND BREAKERS not needed. We went on a cool, windy day and the cold breeze were welcomed if not demanded.
- there is a drinking fountain on the base where the "tourist" loop is. Don't forget to fill-up.

My Bestfriend, BIL (and her 2 y/o) and I went and did this. Our legs were burning specially my BIL since he had his daughter on the carrier. I carried my niece going up and man was I hoping I brought my trekking poles. ALL IN ALL it was a BEAUTIFUL trail to do.

Stunning hike. My advise: start at Hillside and follow Ben Johnson trail up. Bootjack down is beautiful, specially after the rain.

Gorgeous hike. Start at the top and work your way down. The trail runs parallel with the falls 90% or the way.

Great hike and a great burn for the gams! I did just an out and back from the bootjack campground parking lot to Muir Woods. It was a beautiful hike, much of it followed a small stream with multiple tiny waterfalls (or water falling over rocks really). Not many people on the trail until you hit Muir Woods. Next time I would probably cut back before the visitors center.

Sunday, April 10, 2016

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Plenty of great redwood and creek views. This is an especially nice trail because it is away from the crowds. I began at the main park entrance at 8:00am on a weekday, so the park was nearly empty. Then took Fern Creek to Bootjack to TCC to Dipsea to Ben Johnson and finally, Hillside Trail - a nice loop back to the entrance. All trails were well maintained, except some switchbacks were cut through on Ben Johnson and even a key sign was down. - May 15, 2015

Friday, April 18, 2014

We took the "Strenuous Route" and had one of the most enjoyable hikes ever. We started/ended at Pantoll. Starting our hike around 8:30AM on a Friday, we had most of the trails to ourselves until we hit Steep Ravine around Noon and we saw more people. Watch out for the steep descents especially at the end of Dipsea before hitting Steep Ravine... we weren't in quite the shape we'd prefer to be so it was a bit tough on the knees, but it was worth it. Great hike!