Muir Peak Loop

Muir Peak Loop is a 6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Altadena, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

Beautiful trail that I will definitely do again, but be more careful next time. I got started in the later afternoon, so I knew I didn’t have an over abundance of time. I got a little excited and missed the initial overgrown left path and marched straight into Rubio Canyon, by the time I realized my mistake, I decided to go ahead and take the tight switchbacks up to Echo Mountain. The overgrowth was significant on the narrow path, and ended up heading towards the foundations from the old rail lift, which was definitely not meant to be climbed. After some scrambling and significant exposure ahead, I made some tricky moves up and back and eventually found the trail again. I was pretty exhausted and a bit cut up after reaching the top, I decided to take the initial trail I was looking for back down and call it a day. Beautiful views along the way looking up to ridge line and the steep cliffs below. I’ll tackle this one in the morning next time.

Edit: I went back again yesterday, and generally took the shown loop. The hike up to Echo Mountain was pretty rough with the sun, but the path over to Inspiration Point was nicely shaded, though mosquito’s and bees were prominent. Steep climb near the end, but I was feeling good, and the trail was easily defined. It was then an easy hike over to Muir Peak with little elevation gain.

Heading back down was another story. The low shrubs and many rockslides, made it difficult to follow the trail. Used my map regularly to make sure I was on the right bearing and had to make a couple adjustments. The descent was very steep, I couldn’t imagine climbing up that way, and I started to fatigue pretty quickly. The rock was very loose and even with my hiking shoes there was a bit of sliding dangerously close to the ridge line. After a bit of the way down the trail dived into some cover in thicker woods with tall grasses and it was impossible to actually see the trail, other than a toppled tree giving you an idea to move towards the right. I nearly stepped on a Southern Pacific Rattler burrowed in the grass, but thankfully saw it just soon enough to avoid him, but not without upsetting him as well. I retreated a bit until it quieted down and then came back around the corner. He was still there laying across the grass, so I jumped the log blocking the only other direction, and rejoined the trail pretty quickly. Thankfully no more scares on the way down, but there was tons of cover for the snakes the rest of the way down with heavy bushes lining the trail, that it was pretty stressful keeping watch. Once finally down to Rubio Canyon, there is a bit of a climb back up to street level, but it felt good to be on the homestretch. I’d probably just double back down where I came next time, the decent was not fun at all, but overall a beautiful hike with amazing views.

Really pretty trail with a wide variety of scenery and difficulty. Steep climb with beautiful views. Plus it’s very lightly traveled. I only saw 2 other people over 4 hours. I also lost the trail a few times because the vegetation is so dense right now. That can be taken either way—great bc it’s pristine or bad bc it can be tough finding your way. It’s not a trail for the faint of heart and not a quick loop, but great if you’re a good hiker looking to really get away from the crowds and into nature.

I have hiked the Lone Tree trail up to the ridge leading to West Fuji, then part way up the firebreak that climbs the steep ridge below Muir Peak, but turned back because I could not see a route that appeared safe. So, I thought I would do a loop up lower Sam Merrill to Castle Canyon up to Inspiration Point, then along the dirt road over to Muir Peak, then DOWN the firebreak scramble to the top of the Lone Tree trail. I hoped I could see the route down better rather than trying to pick my way UP the slope. It was a little tricky finding my path downward near the top of the ridge, but this time I was able to complete the loop.