Muir Grove Trail

Muir Grove Trail is a 3.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Red Fir, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is best used from May until November.

We went for sunrise, we met one other person on our way back, saw a female whitetail on our way out, other than that we had it to our selfs.
I would really recommend this grove to the populated paved area around the general.
You should be aware that the campground closes in fall. You can park on the other side of the entrance to the campgrounds, just be aware that it adds 1 mile out and 1 mile back to the trail.

It was a little bit longer of a hike for our kids then usual but pretty incredible! I think the reason we loved it so much was this was the first time into the park that we saw sequoia trees up close. We did this trail before all the "main attractions". It literally dumps you into a grove of amazing sequoia trees. The ranger told us that one of them in the grove is one of the largest in the park. There really isn't too much in the way of vistas on this trail but it was an incredible experience.

One of the finest hikes I've been on. Ran into a total of 6 people the whole time.
The first tree is breathtaking and it only gets better from there.
Some strange, loud, knocking sounds from the west kind of creeped us out, since we couldn't figure out what it was and it was getting late, so we left.
My favorite grove!. It feels very ancient!

Easy hike from our campsite to a beautiful grove of sequoias we had pretty much to ourselves. A must do if staying at Dorst Creek, better than the Giant Forrest.

Nice trail from the second to last campground which is a group camping loop. I hiked from our campsite which was the last Loop. I think that parking is at the amphitheater at the end of the road. Nice trail with ups and downs along the way. Had the grove to myself at 6:30am and saw a deer on the way back which was a bonus.

Very few people on the trail in July. You get to spend quality time with the trees without all the people. Best trail in the park for families as far as I'm concerned!

The most amazing place i have seen! It was a hike well worth it, you are surrounded by these tall, gorgeous, unreal sequoia forest, we hung out there for about an hour and were the only one's there. The best way to experience sequoias without the crowd!!!

Surprisingly scenic trail, crossing streams and fern-covered meadows on the way to a grove of magnificent Sequoias.

A nice little out-and-back that leads from Dorst Creek Campground to a small circle of mature sequoia trees that are actually part of a much larger grove. The trail meanders easily through mixed conifer forest, crossing a couple of creeks and nearly cresting a granite dome. Wildflowers are pretty abundant along the trail. This is a really good way to get up close with some majestic trees while avoiding the normal crowds.

Relatively easy hike located off the Dorst Creek campground. We parked at the amphitheater area and hiked down to the trailhead. There is a clearly marked intersection that takes you to the left, but on your return take the other way down to the river and take a nice cool dip. The hike itself is pretty much all uphill, so start early. Ample shade in most areas. A few river crossings and some rock outcroppings that provide magnificent views. All in all, a easy fun hike that provides some great vista views and an opportunity to see some huge sequoia trees with few other visitors.

Really nice forest hike. Not too busy. Giant trees, creeks to cross and it finishes in a giant sequioa patch. Can't complain!

This trail has it all!! gotta walk through Dorst Campground to get to the trailhead. you can get a trail map at lodgepost info center.

Campground was closed so I parked across the street and walked in. It added 1 mile of paved road which sucked but once the trail started it was really nice. Light inclines and declines with small creek crossings. Giant trees all around and the end of the trail you will be surrounded by a circle of giant sequoias. Just wonderful. Ran into deers and a bear. Left both alone and they left me alone.