Muir Beach to Tennessee Beach Loop

Muir Beach to Tennessee Beach Loop is a 8.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Sausalito, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September.

Distance: 8.4 miles Elevation Gain: 1,876 feet Route Type: Loop

beach

Excellent loop hike beginning at Muir Beach and taking in Tennessee Beach and Pirate's Cove. When done right, this hike has it all: wildlife, views (of San Francisco, Golden Gate Bridge, and rugged stretches of Pacific Coast), beaches, etc. Much more interesting than doing the more typical out and back from Muir Beach to Tennessee Beach along the Coastal Trail. If you start in mid-morning, Tennessee Beach makes for a great picnic spot.

amazing! very nice and chill hike, though it you feel a bit tired afterwards :) views are stunning and beach is gorgeous. we've seen some deers as well that was a pleasant surprise

Wow, this hike has it all! I started early when there was still fog which made the ascent early on quite pleasant, and by the time I reached the top it was a beautiful sunny day. The trail is well marked, wide and easy to hike with just a few scrambly parts. I went on a Wednesday and had the trail almost to myself. I highly recommend doing the Tennessee Beach viewpoint, great place to stop for lunch with an epic view. Lots of bunnies, quail, snakes and spotted a heron. This is a truly spectacular 5-star hike and my new SF favorite. I clocked 10 miles total.

Beautiful trail with great ocean views and wildflowers all over in early July!! Even saw 2 snakes in the bushes! We ended up cutting through the old fire road to go straight towards the water for time reasons, that part was a bit busy. But we loved that throughout the first half of the hike, we barely saw anyone else. Definitely coming back.

This hike was beautiful and breathtaking but difficult because I had my 8 yr old with me. I wouldn’t suggest bringing kids. It’s not kid friendly as there are lots of rocky and slippery incline and decline trails. You’re climbing up and down and sometimes it feels like forever. Not for beginners for sure. Had to cut the hike short and head back. Use the coaster fire trail for an easy hike back and loop around to Muir beach. Or else you’ll go back through the steep hills from prirate cove back to Muir beach if you turn around. BRING extra clothes. It gets colder in certain places as you climb and obviously the higher you go because we were in some fog while higher up and then it got hotter as we climbed down. Bring a good hat with a neck flap because there’s no shade and it gets hot and you’ll suffer from bad sunburns. I got me and my son an outdoor research sun runner cap from OR at REI and it was light weight, breathable and had the neck flap that was adjustable so it protected from cold wind at times and protected the face when it got hot. Omg a great buy and so glad I brought it to this hike with us. So come prepared with sunscreen, hat, extra clothes, snacks and water. I had a heavy backpack for food and clothes and was prepared for me and my son. We had a picnic right after prirate cove’s hike but we didn’t go all the way down to the cove it is extremely steep and I would not have been able to climb it back with the little one. But we got as close as possible. We took the stairs up to Tennessee beach and right after the stairs and steep climb up we stopped and had a picnic to recharge. There’s a nice green area you can use to have a picnic all the way up the stairs before coaster fire trail / fox trail and Tennessee beach trail split. Don’t go with small children! Overall a great hike. I’ll be back to complete Muir beach to Tennessee beach hike.

Beautiful coastline views! I recommend the extra vista portion near Tennessee beach for a picture worthy break at the top.

Beautiful hike. Nothing technical but the elevation climb can catch you off guard if you're not expecting about 2,000 feet overall. I'll definitely do this again. It's spectacular. Parking at Muir Beach was free and had plenty of space on a weekday. The weather changes, so come prepared with a layer to peel off when things get warm and put back on when it cools or starts to sprinkle. I did use my AllTrails offline GPS because the trail goes in different directions and I also lost cell signal at times. GREAT HIKE.

One of my favourite trails in Northern California and the Bay Area. Whenever we have friends visiting, we take them here for the views. Me and my husband go hiking and trail running here on a monthly basis, and we usually just end up going along the coastal trail both there and back.

Beautiful coastal trail. Birthday hike surprise from my fav hiker

A stunning trail. Make sure to check out the Zen Center at the start of the trail.

Beautiful views. Minimal shade. Lots of fun to be had.

Saturday, August 11, 2018

Great trail, we didn’t know what to expect. We actually started from Tennessee Trails, stopped by Pirates Cove, went to Muir Beach and then returned. That “small” hill going back was a beater for my boyfriend and I, but well worth it!

Sunday, July 15, 2018

Great trail, awesome views

Monday, July 09, 2018

Loved it! Great views! Great hike!

Sunday, July 01, 2018

Foggy, foggy, foggy!!! But I bet this is one of the best trails to hike on a clear day. From Muir beach parking lot the Coast trail down to Tennessee Valley beach is a little rugged (moderate to hard at times), Hiking poles really helps! We took Fox trail back to Muir beach which is easier terrian uphill for about 2miles and the descend back to Muir beach has great views. It took us a little over 3 hours including frequent picture taking and selfies. Then you can have a relaxing day at the beach after your hike like we did. Have fun!

Sunday, June 24, 2018

This was a very difficult hike with not much shade. However, stunning views and the ability to visit three different beaches made up for it. If I were to do this hike again, I would go much earlier and spend more time at the different beaches as well as the picnic area. I saw plenty of rabbits and lizards. You will need to do a bit of rock climbing to get to the beach at Pirate Cove, but there is a good chance you will be only person there. Would definitely do this again with a group of friends. Oh, bring sunblock if it's a sunny day!

Monday, May 28, 2018

Monday, February 19, 2018

Just finished the hike. Decent kickstart to my hiking season. The inclines gave me a good workout. The trail itself is pretty exposed. The wind was pretty brutal today, but grateful for it because it would've been very hot if not for the wind. There is no shade at all. The coastal views were nice.

Monday, January 15, 2018

Challenging uphills will tire those legs but the beautiful views are 100% worth it

Sunday, October 01, 2017

Great hike with two different opportunities to spend time in the beach. The trail gets confusing at the end on the Middle Green section because that section of the trail has been moved and you have to go around a farm and then through a farm. Don't fret!

Thursday, September 28, 2017

This hiking trail was recommended by a friend. I wasn’t quite ready for all the inclines at the beginning but the views from all angles were well worth every step of the hike. Started from Muir Beach and ended at Tennessee Beach but Rodeo was the destination. My other two friends made it all the way with a slight detour but it wouldn’t be an adventure without off trailing a little. I do suggest hiking sticks, at least 3ltr minimal and some good snacks to refuel your body the way back to starting point. This was a great 2nd accomplishment for a man my size. 6’2 453lbs and still losing ⛰

Sunday, July 30, 2017

great stroll today. the marine layer burned off just as we finished in time to eat lunch on the beach.

Saturday, July 22, 2017

Great views, variety, elevation changes. Good signage.