Muir Beach to Tennessee Beach Loop [CLOSED]

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(75)
Muir Woods National Monument

Muir Beach to Tennessee Beach Loop [CLOSED] is a 8.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Sausalito, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September.

Distance: 8.4 miles Elevation Gain: 1,876 feet Route Type: Loop

beach

closed

It has been reported this trail has a temporary closure due to COVID-19. Please see the park's website for up to date information. Excellent loop hike beginning at Muir Beach and taking in Tennessee Beach and Pirate's Cove. When done right, this hike has it all: wildlife, views (of San Francisco, Golden Gate Bridge, and rugged stretches of Pacific Coast), beaches, etc. Much more interesting than doing the more typical out and back from Muir Beach to Tennessee Beach along the Coastal Trail. If you start in mid-morning, Tennessee Beach makes for a great picnic spot.

Stumbled upon this by accident when stopping to check out the beach area for pictures. Was pleasantly surprised by the gorgeous views after hiking the trail for a bit. Sat on the cliffs edge for a bit to take it all in.

Beautiful hike with great views from the top. Slight inclines and some steep declines. There are multiple trail branches however, so if you can then download this map to do this exact hike. At the first fork for hikes - going R will lead you up to a map that is helpful; if you go L at the first fork you’re either relying on a downloaded map or you’re leaving it up to chance.

Beautiful hike on a sunny Sunday ! Trail well maintained. Bathroom at the start and near Tennessee Beach. Minimal shade, stunning views !

Finally got it done! So rewarding. spectacular views, beautiful weather, a lot of people this time. It starts off on incline, and then goes down some. Do go down to Pirates Cove. Great little spot to take a break and eat something. But then know that you'll be going up for a while. Worth it!

Awesome hike. Cool views of the ocean, a few views of the city. We walked all through the Zen center which is cool and worth checking out. Also found a shortcut connecting Green Gulch Trail and Coastal Fire road. Tennessee Beach is cool, and the battery was fun to check out. We didn't go all the way down to Pirate's Cove as the tide seemed to be high and it was a very steep descent. Maybe another time. The Coastal Trail has great views of the cliffs and ocean the whole way which is awesome. This loop is more difficult than I anticipated because the hills are pretty big. Didn't see much wildlife, but saw a coyote on the road on the drive back.

closed
private property

amazing! very nice and chill hike, though it you feel a bit tired afterwards :) views are stunning and beach is gorgeous. we've seen some deers as well that was a pleasant surprise

Wow, this hike has it all! I started early when there was still fog which made the ascent early on quite pleasant, and by the time I reached the top it was a beautiful sunny day. The trail is well marked, wide and easy to hike with just a few scrambly parts. I went on a Wednesday and had the trail almost to myself. I highly recommend doing the Tennessee Beach viewpoint, great place to stop for lunch with an epic view. Lots of bunnies, quail, snakes and spotted a heron. This is a truly spectacular 5-star hike and my new SF favorite. I clocked 10 miles total.

Beautiful trail with great ocean views and wildflowers all over in early July!! Even saw 2 snakes in the bushes! We ended up cutting through the old fire road to go straight towards the water for time reasons, that part was a bit busy. But we loved that throughout the first half of the hike, we barely saw anyone else. Definitely coming back.

This hike was beautiful and breathtaking but difficult because I had my 8 yr old with me. I wouldn’t suggest bringing kids. It’s not kid friendly as there are lots of rocky and slippery incline and decline trails. You’re climbing up and down and sometimes it feels like forever. Not for beginners for sure. Had to cut the hike short and head back. Use the coaster fire trail for an easy hike back and loop around to Muir beach. Or else you’ll go back through the steep hills from prirate cove back to Muir beach if you turn around. BRING extra clothes. It gets colder in certain places as you climb and obviously the higher you go because we were in some fog while higher up and then it got hotter as we climbed down. Bring a good hat with a neck flap because there’s no shade and it gets hot and you’ll suffer from bad sunburns. I got me and my son an outdoor research sun runner cap from OR at REI and it was light weight, breathable and had the neck flap that was adjustable so it protected from cold wind at times and protected the face when it got hot. Omg a great buy and so glad I brought it to this hike with us. So come prepared with sunscreen, hat, extra clothes, snacks and water. I had a heavy backpack for food and clothes and was prepared for me and my son. We had a picnic right after prirate cove’s hike but we didn’t go all the way down to the cove it is extremely steep and I would not have been able to climb it back with the little one. But we got as close as possible. We took the stairs up to Tennessee beach and right after the stairs and steep climb up we stopped and had a picnic to recharge. There’s a nice green area you can use to have a picnic all the way up the stairs before coaster fire trail / fox trail and Tennessee beach trail split. Don’t go with small children! Overall a great hike. I’ll be back to complete Muir beach to Tennessee beach hike.

Beautiful coastline views! I recommend the extra vista portion near Tennessee beach for a picture worthy break at the top.

Wed May 29 2019

Fri Mar 29 2019

Beautiful hike. Nothing technical but the elevation climb can catch you off guard if you're not expecting about 2,000 feet overall. I'll definitely do this again. It's spectacular. Parking at Muir Beach was free and had plenty of space on a weekday. The weather changes, so come prepared with a layer to peel off when things get warm and put back on when it cools or starts to sprinkle. I did use my AllTrails offline GPS because the trail goes in different directions and I also lost cell signal at times. GREAT HIKE.

Tue Jan 22 2019

One of my favourite trails in Northern California and the Bay Area. Whenever we have friends visiting, we take them here for the views. Me and my husband go hiking and trail running here on a monthly basis, and we usually just end up going along the coastal trail both there and back.

Wed Dec 26 2018

Beautiful coastal trail. Birthday hike surprise from my fav hiker

Sun Oct 14 2018

A stunning trail. Make sure to check out the Zen Center at the start of the trail.

Mon Oct 08 2018

Beautiful views. Minimal shade. Lots of fun to be had.

Sat Aug 11 2018

Great trail, we didn’t know what to expect. We actually started from Tennessee Trails, stopped by Pirates Cove, went to Muir Beach and then returned. That “small” hill going back was a beater for my boyfriend and I, but well worth it!

Sun Jul 15 2018