Muir Beach to Rodeo Beach is a 11.3 mile out and back trail located near Sausalito, California that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 11.3 miles Elevation Gain: 3,438 feet Route Type: Out & Back

beach

A beautiful trek along the Coastal Trail. Enjoy scenic views of the Marin Headlands and the Pacific Ocean. This incredibly beautiful hike will lead you alongside the bluffs from Muir Beach to Rodeo Beach.

Decided to do this trail as an impromptu hike yesterday with a friend to start our 2020 hiking season. We started out making our way from the trailhead parking lot around 11am which is later than we normally do, but we made it. Got off-trek and had to trek back few times; so definitely need to download offline GPS for next time since most of the time there’s no reception. Weather was perfect. It was a challenging hike with some rocky trails and technical uphill/downhill along the way, but worth it. Hiking poles will definitely be tremendously helpful but we forgot to bring ours. The view of the coastline along the trek is amazing. Great work out overall.

This was an incredible, challenging hike. There are stellar views the whole way. There are a few sections that are really muddy-- may be worth bringing poles if you have them although ok without. If you're coming from the city you can also start at Rodeo Beach and go to Muir and back for a slightly shorter drive.

My GPS tracked it as 13 miles round trip. For us two 50+ ladies it was definitely challenging but we made it. There are some 1 1/2 mile long hills. Harder on the way out than on the way back.

Super fun, I would say moderate with very technical uphill and downhill sections. Go in the morning

MAYBE 1/10th off the hike is hard, rest is easy to moderate. Decent views when you get to Rodeo beach.Took about 2hrs each way, although coming back from Rodeo beach seemed easier.

The whole trail goes along the coast, we went on a foggy day and the trail was beautiful. We went off trail a bit to the beach, different from the usual redwood hikes that I usually do. Light crowd on the trail.

This is a good trail! I liked it for the coastal views, the view of Tennessee Valley, and the fact that there was a fog, which kept it cool and I thought added to the beauty. For context, I hike moderate to hard trails and average 8 miles/1700 elevation gain per hike. I abbreviated this route a bit because Tennessee Beach looked too pretty to pass up. I started at Muir Beach and hiked 1/2 mile past the trail head to go to Tennessee Beach, then turned around and decided to explore Tennessee Beach more rather than continue toward Rodeo. It was a nice option to give myself a break from the hills without sacrificing too much mileage (it's a little over a mile roundtrip from the trail intersection to the beach itself). That route that I described was 8.0 miles total and 2K feet, which is technically pretty normal for me, but because of the up/down, up/down quality felt more intense. The positive side: for the distance I went, I never experienced anything technically difficult—no need to scramble anywhere. On 4th of July this trail had moderate traffic, probably because of the intensity of the climbing. I would not take visitors on this trail who aren't used to or who don't enjoy hills. Note there isn't shade on this trail.

Sun Jun 02 2019

This trail follows the coastline for most of the hike and descends into a valley before the final climb and descent to Rodeo Beach. The elevation gain is pretty strenuous (3000+ feet) and you gain and then lose everything you’ve gained 3 separate times one way. Usually I hate losing elevation after climbing, but I actually really enjoyed this hike because you get to rest on those interspersed downhills and it’s not like straight up until the highest point and then straight down. The photos speak for themselves: the coastal views are beautiful. However if you’re hiking this in the summer, dress for the cold. SF is known for its cloudy summers. Don’t be surprised if you do this hike and you‘re in thick fog the entire day. There’s no shade on this hike so cool foggy weather is quite enjoyable to hike in. The hike takes around 5-7 hours. The hike there took us almost 4 hours but back only 2.5 hours, so it can vary a lot depending on how leisurely you want to take it. Rodeo Beach is a great place to stop for a mid-hike lunch.

Wed Mar 06 2019

Intense trail. Lots of ups and down hills with rocks. Lots of fun to run it

Mon Feb 18 2019

Reading the reviews before hike, I got four bottles of water and extra warm clothes. My bag snapped because of weight :) I understand this is not an easy hike but you can see ultra light runners in bikini tops running this trail with no water at all. So please read the reviews with a grain of salt. Climbing those hills was not fun on the way back but still I can say this is moderate and you can finish it in 4.5 hours with 2 liters of water like rushing or in 6 hours easy taking more breaks and enjoying the beautiful scenery. Occasionally you may see coyotes but they don’t stalk you at all. So they are harmless unless they come close. There are many people joining the trails so you are not alone at all on a weekend day. So relax and enjoy the hike.

Thu Dec 27 2018

One of my fav hikes within an hour of San Francisco. It’s a good deal of elevation changes so prob deserves the hard rating. Great coastline views and you traverse some meadows.

Sun Nov 04 2018

Lots of steep uphill but the scenery is worth it

Mon Oct 15 2018

Challenging but fun, great views.

Sun Oct 14 2018

great hike! it took us just under 6 hours to finish. we got there at 7 in the morning and finished just right before 1. it was tiring but the view is beautiful for when you want to rest! bring plenty of water and enjoy.

Fri Oct 05 2018

Beautiful coastal hike. Two ups and downs - the downs a bit tricky with small loose rocks

Sat Sep 22 2018

Long hike that goes along the coast. Gets crowded by noon. Was foggy the entire time I hiked, so no views, but I could see how it would be gorgeous on a clear day.

Tue Sep 04 2018

Nice variety, lots of scenic vistas. There are lots of parking lots along the trail, so there are constantly a lot of people doing shorter hikes and carrying things to the beach. At times it was one step away from waiting in line to pass the steep parts. A lot of the hikers were unprepared for steep sandy slopes so dealing with people half-falling down the downhills was also a negative for me.

Sun Jul 22 2018

Great hike done a long time ago. It was done in the spring and was very cool and windy. Awesome...

Fri Jul 20 2018

Strenuous but so incredibly satisfying. There are some whale bones at Tennessee Beach. Pretty cool! This is a very well maintained trail that has amazing views of the ocean. Take the Pirates Cove Trail if you like seeing the ocean. Windy, so bring a windbreaker.

Mon Jul 02 2018

Very strenuous hike with beautiful views! Bring lots of water, a windbreaker, and high protein food.

Sat Jun 30 2018

Nice hike along the coast with beautiful ocean views. I started at Rodeo Beach, hiked up hill 88, through the Tennessee Valley to Muir Beach, to the Organic Farm, over to Tennessee Beach and then back to Rodeo Beach. 14 miles and 3,600 feet of elevation gain.

Mon Jun 18 2018

We hiked from Rodeo Beach to Muir Beach. This trail is definitely recommended for people who enjoy ocean views while getting some kick ass workout. It’s a hard hike but it feels wonderful afterward. Lots of going up and down interval along the trail.

Thu Jun 14 2018

This was an amazing hike! I definitely agree with the hard rating. My husband and I hiked the route starting at Rodeo Beach up to Muir Beach. Lots of Beach scenery and lots and lots of hills, including two very steep hills! We packed a lunch for the halfway point and ate before we returned. We also too 3 liter camelbacks of water each and pretty much killed it off. Layers of clothing is a must as well. The Beach is cool while part of the hike that is away from the beach is warmer, plus it heats up in the afternoon. I would definitely do this hike again!