Mugu Peak Trail

Mugu Peak Trail is a 2.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Malibu, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

beach

One of my favorites!! Great workout and gorgeous views all the way up. This hike has it all. Can’t wait to go back with friends and family.

This has steep climbs with lose rock. Great view from the top where they have a flag pole. Lots of lose rock and steep going down. But enjoyed the challenge!

Great trail wind was tough making the last part of the trail but wonderful views at the top.

All up hill.

Start earlier in the day. It’s a very steep grade and not shaded so it gets hot quick even if your close to the ocean but beautiful view is the Pacific Ocean

I wouldn’t say it’s moderate, a lot harder than I expected. Trail only goes uphill

Ahh, I love this trail! The beginning is pretty tough(for me), but once you get past all the steep hills, it’s such a beautiful hike! Feels amazing when you make it to the top!

Great views! Easy to get to. Some areas are steep but very fun

Great hike with a beautiful view! Our family loved it. I’ve got 3 kids (the youngest age 10) and the trip took us 2 hours and 45 minutes round trip. Enjoy!

Definitely harder than I expected a “moderately” rated trail to be. Quite steep.

worth the hike. killer views

This hike is great and if you looking to get a great calf workout, this is the place. I came here with a group of friends and all of us loved it. The view at the top is worth
the heavy breathing and sweat.

Don't let the short mileage of this hike fool you- it's an a** kicker! It's straight uphill for a fair distance. Wear good hiking shoes/boots because there's a decent amount of loose soil and gravel. To reiterate what someone else said- take more water than you think you need. You'll work up a good thirst on the uphill climb. The views from the top are worth the climb! You can see Sandstone Peak on one side and gorgeous views of the ocean and Malibu on the other side.

Fun workout great tough climb but nice views. Hiking and running is possible.

I Absolutely loved this Hike!! It's steep at first then I took the longer route to the top to the right... It was flatter, but of course longer... jogged it as much as I could. My first time going up was nearly an hour... Got it down to 37:06... Which was really good for me!! I was in the area for 3 1/2 months so I improved a bunch... and lost quite a bit of weight! 16 pounds!! The views are amazing at the top, and a great reward for improving your time... many kids younger than me were running up it and down for exercise... I highly recommend it for a workout a few times a week, but also for a once hike... well worth it!!

Good steep climb to start. Keep to the left at the first fork (top) and then up to the peak for gorgeous views.

After reaching the top, a nice cool down follows as you make your way down a gradual and pleasant descent until you reach the fork.

The steep rocky section down (same initial climb) can be slippery so watch your step! All-in-all a solid “short” workout with superb payoff views.

Always a great hike. The tough climb is worth the view at the top. Remember to sign the book at the flag pole.

great incline
then flat
nice view

Beautiful

The ascent trail to the summit from the north side of the peak is not in very good shape. It is very steep with no switch-backs. Much steeper than the initial ascent from the road. The other side of the loop is much better. Great views. Absolutely no shade.