Muddy Hollow, Coast Trail, Sky Trail, Laguna Trail

Muddy Hollow, Coast Trail, Sky Trail, Laguna Trail is a 12.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Point Reyes Station, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 12.4 miles Elevation Gain: 1,548 feet Route Type: Loop

beach

Nice hike and good way to spend the afternoon! We are in relatively good shape and did it in just under 4.5 hours. Beach can be a bit treacherous to hike with high winds, but beautiful. Very gratifying.

Full sun but a great walk that brings you to the ocean and back to your car. It’s a loop so you get to see new things along the way. Bring sunscreen!

While the coastal trail was definitely a nice & beautiful hike on the beach, the fire lane trail and others left more to be desired. The begin, the fire lane trail was overgrown. I ended up with a lot of seeds and webs on me by the end of it. The sky trail was nice and def a much needed relief of space. I hiked on a Sunday and the weather was perfect. Very warm with the nice ocean breeze when I reached the coastal trail. Tons of people on the beach though; as expected. I stuck out like a sore thumb, as I was the only hiker among the crowd of beach goers. The last stretch of the hike was mediocre. I was over it by this point and there wasn’t much left to it. The last stretch was on a fire road which lead to another road back to my car. Also, while on the fire lane trail I ran into a small shadowy figure which resembled a small simba. I initially thought it was a large rabbit but when it went into the bush I definitely saw a tail on it. After I regained composure I quickly breezed through the area with my knife in hand. As I was passing by, I definitely heard a low muffled noise in the bush. Took it was a warning and didn’t look back. If you can, definitely do not try to hike alone.

The beach walk is lovely. We did it counterclockwise so the beach walk was first, if I did it again I’d go clockwise so you get the view of the beach as you’re walking down and the 2 miles on the beach is at the end of your hike. Wear pants and long sleeves as some parts have high grass/plants.

Cute trail with nice mixture of terrain. Recommend doing this clockwise, so that you end up with a nice walk along the beach. Also wear pants...there's a section where you're walking through overgrown grass and prickly little things.

Tons of wildlife. Saw deer, elk, quails, and a bobcat. There are a ton of down trees on the second half of the hike that require a lot of scrambling.

The drive to the trailhead is gorgeous. I only completed a portion of the trail because I arrived so late but it was windy, with wildlife all around, and beautiful views of the coast.

scenic driving
Friday, September 14, 2018

Was recommended to this by a co worker. It was a nice scenic drive, however, when you start getting close to the lighthouse the roads aren’t great. Not terrible, but not great. Lighthouse was going through remodeling so we were only able to see from atop. Great to go and see it once, but probably won’t venture out there again. Very overcast.

Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Gorgeous hike from misty, mossy woods to the ocean, and I would recommend doing it CLOCKWISE as we did, rather than counterclockwise as is listed here. The Sky and Coastal trails were beautiful but the Woodland trail in between was poorly maintained and would have been really awful to do uphill rather than downhill as we did. Covering your legs is a must, particularly for the Woodland trail part of the hike. Accidentally took the Coastal trail back so was unable to see the Muddy Hollow trail.

Monday, June 18, 2018

Wear pants and long sleeves because you’ll walk through tall grass for an hour. Beautiful trail with wildflowers.

Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Ticks. I’d not do the second half starting Woodward trail. It was all tall grasses and scrubs. Tons of caterpillars and ticks along that trails for almost two hours. I got bit by a wood tick I think. Hopefully no disease transmission. No rash or fever so far t+12. The first half was beautiful. That’s the only part I would recommend.

Monday, January 29, 2018

Awesome hike ... marsh land, beach trek, hills with views of the ocean and forest. Back side of trail culminates with a half mile walk along the road/parking lot.

Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Beautiful hike... terrain changes, fresh sea air, a tree swing. I really enjoyed it!

Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Loved it. Had a little bit of everything (cloud forests, beaches, wildlife) and felt very mystical.

Sunday, September 10, 2017

Great hike! Definitely a challenge with the elevation changes. Fantastic views and you see a bit of everything from beach to forrest.

Sunday, September 03, 2017

This was a pretty intense hike. We started from Muggy hollow trail heading toward the beach. Then we hiked up the mountain. Took us 7 hrs to complete. We ran into a mountain lion. If I do this hike again I will start Sky trail side and towards the beach. Be ready this is an intense hike.

Monday, July 10, 2017

Great trail. Not very hard.

Wednesday, July 05, 2017

Beautiful views. Lots of wildflowers.

Monday, June 26, 2017

Very beautiful, challenging when one is out of shape but had fun hiking with family and friends

Saturday, June 24, 2017

Another epic hike at Pt Reyes. You move through various ecosystems - rain forest to beach. One of the most beautiful hikes in Bay Area.

Sunday, June 18, 2017

Monday, May 29, 2017

If you click directions on this trail, google maps leads you to muddy hollow trail, which does not lead you to Alamear Falls. Still a beautiful area, but I'm disappointed that I didn't get to see the falls this time.

Saturday, May 27, 2017

Did a slight variation of this hike. Lots of tall grass,weeds, and thorns at least up to your stomach throughout so recommend long pants. Very scenic and goes along the beach if you want to stop and have lunch.

Thursday, May 11, 2017

This was a good hike. My friend and i hiked 14.5 miles not the 12 miles. The hike to the waterfall is really nice. I would definitely go again.

Monday, May 01, 2017

Nice hike with some great view points. Saw some whales when walking on the beach. Don't forget to wear pants that you can roll up, there are few spots with a lot of poison ivy.

Wednesday, April 05, 2017

One of the my favorite hikes so far! The bear valley trail is great if you want access to the beach. It took about an hour and a half to get to the beach and it was a pretty easy hike on the way there. I took a different trail hike back which was a bit more challenging but well worth it! Beware of poison ivy and be prepared.

Sunday, September 18, 2016

It was a foggy day, but the beach view was beautiful.