Muddy Hollow, Coast Trail, Sky Trail, Laguna Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(178)
Point Reyes National Seashore

Muddy Hollow, Coast Trail, Sky Trail, Laguna Trail is a 12.4 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Point Reyes Station, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Length12.4 miElevation gain1,548 ftRoute typeLoop
BackpackingCampingHikingNature tripsWalkingBird watchingBeachForestViewsWildflowersWildlifeNo dogs
Description
Waypoints (0)

FIRE CLOSURE: As of August 2020, there are closures in this park or area due to wildfire. For more information, please visit https://www.nps.gov/pore/planyourvisit/conditions.htm

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (178)
Photos (1,219)
Recordings (140)
Completed (475)
Tyler Hester
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 23, 2021

Fantastic!

View Tyler's Recording
Fahm Saelee
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 28, 2020
Hiking

Didn't do the full loop. Started at Muddy Hollow, to the beach and back. The trail was partially shaded but there's definitely spots where it gets really hot. Didn't see anyone else on the trail until we got closer to the beach.

helen reid
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 27, 2020
Hiking

This is a great moderate hike. Very little elevation gain but lots of miles to reach the Estero. Gorgeous views of the ocean and we can spotted the Pt Reyes Tule Elk on the way back through White Gate.

View helen's Recording
H Otto
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 11, 2020
HikingOver grown

Beautiful, but parts of the trail are still suffering from lack of care during the covid shutdown. I could always see the trail, but parts of this hike were pretty annoying to get through. There's tons of poison oak spilling into the trail, especially on Fire Road, and very tall grasses that you need to swat away from your face (they were often taller than me, and I'm 5'4"). So - it's doable, but I'd recommend waiting until the parks have done some trail maintenance.

View H's Recording
Roberto Guzman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 2, 2020
HikingBugsOver grown

It ended up being 13.7 miles and I started clockwise so I could end with the beach. A great part of the trail is overgrown not including fire trail which is severely overgrown and I’d recommend a long sleeve and definitely no shorts. Amazing views though

View Roberto's Recording
Stefan D
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 24, 2020
HikingOver grown

If you plan on taking Fire Lane Trail: after 2 months of COVID-19, this trail is heavily overgrown and I’m talking 5-6 feet high! At large sections you can’t even see the trail anymore. Needless to say, it was a pain in the butt to hike this trail. Don’t take it right now!

Dianne Croskey
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 1, 2020
Hiking

Nice and flat, not too rocky. Beautiful ocean views!

View Dianne's Recording
Paul Earwood
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJanuary 29, 2020
Hiking

Point Reyes is a great area to pound dirt. Trails are soft, easily marked and elevation (although intense at times) is brief due to lack of altitude. Every time I’m in PR I think, “I’ve got to get out here more.” If you take this route plan to break (eat) under the huge eucalyptus tree near the beach. It’s breathtaking and remarkable that it’s standing with relentless heavy winds, etc. I traveled in a clockwise pattern to make sure I knocked out the elevation early. I never regret that decision when I’m covering 10-15 miles.

View Paul's Recording
Lori M
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarNovember 29, 2019
Hiking

Good trail with a mixture of setting, some sections were more enjoyable for me than others. Next time I would consider going clockwise as some of the best sections to me were during the first half.

View Lori's Recording
Camille Gomez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 9, 2019
Hiking

Gorgeous in the fall. Don't start too late in the day-took us 5.5 hours with stops for lunch, snacking, and view taking.

Rhiannon Payne
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 30, 2019
Hiking

Nice hike and good way to spend the afternoon! We are in relatively good shape and did it in just under 4.5 hours. Beach can be a bit treacherous to hike with high winds, but beautiful. Very gratifying.

Mareena Bartelli
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 21, 2019
Hiking

Full sun but a great walk that brings you to the ocean and back to your car. It’s a loop so you get to see new things along the way. Bring sunscreen!

Kenny Chanthavixay
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJune 9, 2019
HikingOver grown

While the coastal trail was definitely a nice & beautiful hike on the beach, the fire lane trail and others left more to be desired. The begin, the fire lane trail was overgrown. I ended up with a lot of seeds and webs on me by the end of it. The sky trail was nice and def a much needed relief of space. I hiked on a Sunday and the weather was perfect. Very warm with the nice ocean breeze when I reached the coastal trail. Tons of people on the beach though; as expected. I stuck out like a sore thumb, as I was the only hiker among the crowd of beach goers. The last stretch of the hike was mediocre. I was over it by this point and there wasn’t much left to it. The last stretch was on a fire road which lead to another road back to my car. Also, while on the fire lane trail I ran into a small shadowy figure which resembled a small simba. I initially thought it was a large rabbit but when it went into the bush I definitely saw a tail on it. After I regained composure I quickly breezed through the area with my knife in hand. As I was passing by, I definitely heard a low muffled noise in the bush. Took it was a warning and didn’t look back. If you can, definitely do not try to hike alone.

View Kenny's Recording
Taylor Howard
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 5, 2019
HikingOver grown

The beach walk is lovely. We did it counterclockwise so the beach walk was first, if I did it again I’d go clockwise so you get the view of the beach as you’re walking down and the 2 miles on the beach is at the end of your hike. Wear pants and long sleeves as some parts have high grass/plants.

Ragnar Bones
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 2, 2019
Uyen Nguyen
HikingOver grown

Cute trail with nice mixture of terrain. Recommend doing this clockwise, so that you end up with a nice walk along the beach. Also wear pants...there's a section where you're walking through overgrown grass and prickly little things.

Ang xo
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMarch 30, 2019
HikingRocky
Corrine S
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFebruary 10, 2019
Hiking

Tons of wildlife. Saw deer, elk, quails, and a bobcat. There are a ton of down trees on the second half of the hike that require a lot of scrambling.

Martin Surridge
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 20, 2019
Gabriella Smith
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJanuary 6, 2019

The drive to the trailhead is gorgeous. I only completed a portion of the trail because I arrived so late but it was windy, with wildlife all around, and beautiful views of the coast.

Cameron Dudeck
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 14, 2018
Scenic driving

Was recommended to this by a co worker. It was a nice scenic drive, however, when you start getting close to the lighthouse the roads aren’t great. Not terrible, but not great. Lighthouse was going through remodeling so we were only able to see from atop. Great to go and see it once, but probably won’t venture out there again. Very overcast.

Michelle Unger
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 18, 2018
Hiking

Wear pants and long sleeves because you’ll walk through tall grass for an hour. Beautiful trail with wildflowers.

Chamroen Eng
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMay 29, 2018

Ticks. I’d not do the second half starting Woodward trail. It was all tall grasses and scrubs. Tons of caterpillars and ticks along that trails for almost two hours. I got bit by a wood tick I think. Hopefully no disease transmission. No rash or fever so far t+12. The first half was beautiful. That’s the only part I would recommend.

Jen A
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJanuary 29, 2018

Awesome hike ... marsh land, beach trek, hills with views of the ocean and forest. Back side of trail culminates with a half mile walk along the road/parking lot.

Maria Burns
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 27, 2017

Beautiful hike... terrain changes, fresh sea air, a tree swing. I really enjoyed it!

Annette Longo
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 26, 2017

Loved it. Had a little bit of everything (cloud forests, beaches, wildlife) and felt very mystical.

James Inlow
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 10, 2017
Hiking

Great hike! Definitely a challenge with the elevation changes. Fantastic views and you see a bit of everything from beach to forrest.

Sachith Abayakoon
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 3, 2017
Hiking

This was a pretty intense hike. We started from Muggy hollow trail heading toward the beach. Then we hiked up the mountain. Took us 7 hrs to complete. We ran into a mountain lion. If I do this hike again I will start Sky trail side and towards the beach. Be ready this is an intense hike.

Guillaume Peronnet
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 10, 2017

Great trail. Not very hard.