Mt. Tam via Matt Davis and Railroad Grade Trails

Mt. Tam via Matt Davis and Railroad Grade Trails is a 7.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Mill Valley, California that features a great forest setting. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

My favorite hike in the Bay Area. I liked that almost the entire Matt Davis trail was protected from the sun. The railroad grade trail was about 50% shade. The views are incredible and the elevation is gradual enough to not be too difficult for the amount you are climbing. I went down the Fern Trail on the way back as a shortcut it's steep enough to consider trekking poles and would be a really hard trail to go up.

Lots of signs to keep your dog leashed. We had a coyote come right up to us although it was much smaller than my dog so I wasnt too worried. Dog didn't have any ticks after this hike which hasn't been the case with other North Bay hikes.

As good as it gets! I loved this trail. Beautiful views, nice mix of ups and downs, gorgeous wooded areas. I can’t wait to go back!

Great, peaceful hike with views from the parking lot most of the way up. Great variety and the westpoint inn is a lovely spot to stop for a rest and soak in the views from a rocking chair. Best part of this hike is that there’s two clean bathrooms along the way! On a Sunday afternoon, we saw a handful of other groups, but the trail still felt quiet.

I would definitely rate this hike moderate, not hard. It wasn’t very steep.

Fantastic hike. Pass several waterfalls, redwood groves, amazing staircases. Opens up to some perfect views to photograph. The last staircase to the fire tower, is beautiful. Opted to walk down the stair case trails otwb and there were amazing views to reward you for that choice. Stopped both times at the West Point inn. Nice to sit on the patio and watch the hummingbirds at the feeder. Some times seven at a time! Food and snacks at the inn are on honor system, so bring a few $'s in case you want tea or soup or something. Rewarding hike.

recorded w jacy