EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Mount Tallac Trail

Mount Tallac Trail is a 10.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near South Lake Tahoe, California that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

The jewel in the crown of mountains which ring Lake Tahoe, Mt. Tallac promises unparalleled views from its summit 9,735ft above sea level. Unparalleled vistas await the Tahoe hiker on a memorable journey to the lake's tallest peak. This route takes you to the top via the most direct summer route through lush forest, along scenic ridgelines, past small alpine lakes and across blazingly colorful wildflower strewn high-altitude meadows. Sure the 3,500ft elevation gain is greater than you might experience on most day hikes, but both the journey and the destination are worth every single thigh-burning step.

Awesome.. but it kicked my butt!

It was a beautiful hike. Great inclines and breathtaking views. Definitely would hike here again.

Thanks Patrick. I didn’t make it to the top as I was ill-equipped for the deep snow (I only had my mud-boots and no poles). Maybe I was just wimpy. I did make it quite close to the top. I think it’s better to go with a partner for the first time.

The road to the TH is closed so park on west side of 89 or on road. They ticket if you park on the east side. 1 mile walk west on road to TH.

Excellent hike. Micro spikes would help a lot.

I've hiked this trail many times and love it more each time. You pass two alpine lakes, the second lake your halfway to the peak distance wise but still have a lot of elevation to hike up. The views are worth it!

Great but heaven wind

My husband and I hiked up Tallac October 28, 2017. It was a warm day with a high of 70F. We started kind of late just before 10am. It was nice and cool at the beginning of the hike and very flat for the first couple of miles. After that, the trail gets very rocky and gains elevation quickly. It was around noon or so when we made it to the top. The views were great as it was a clear day, but the summit was so crowded with people. One person brought up a folding chair and was sitting at the very top, so I had to climb around him to touch the summit. Another person was flying a drone. It was crazy. There were people ahead and behind us on the trail the entire time. I knew that going into it that the trail would be rocky and crowded. It was a Saturday, so that’s just how it is. I was told the trail is much more quiet this time of year. Overall the trail was pretty and there are nice views much of the way. It took us almost 6 hours round trip including an hour break on the summit. If I’d do it again, I’d go that same time of year but on a weekday.

Hiked on a beautiful late October day. Trailhead was all to myself departing at 7:30 am on Friday. Easy forested hike until just past the second small lake (cathedral). The trail through the scree field after that was remarkably good, but steep and tiring until I reached the ridge. The scenery after then changes from lake vie to mountain valley as you hike up the backside to the peak. Reaching the ridge again just below offers spectacular view of Lake Tahoe. The summit view could only be matched by a helicopter. Overall a challenging but doable day hike. Recommend departing early for the solitude, sturdy boots for almost never ending broken granite and bring plenty of water.

Very beautiful hike. But make sure you have strong ankles. At less 90 percent hiking on loose rocks. Too rocky for me but I did it

Took us about 7 hours — a bit longer than we thought. The view was totally worth it though! Be careful as there are a few areas in which it’s easy to lose sight of the trail.

I would recommend this to the Mount Ralston hike, as its prettier all along the route to the top. On a still day the reflection of the mountain on the ponds is postcard perfect.

Amazing hike. Beautiful views. Took off a star because most of the trail is on some form of gravel. Going up is not noticeable but by the time you’re coming down it is hard on the knees and ankles! Make sure you are wearing proper footwear and up for the challenge. If you are - you won’t be disappointed. Beauty around every turn.

Took us over 7 hours to complete the hike (This is taking our time, stopping for a snack a couple of times, etc). Just be sure you allow plenty of time before you run out of daylight.

We had fun taking our 10 year old boys up the mountain! Weather was gorgeous at the end of October!

This mountain kicked my butt. Which made the view from the top even more worth it. It is a really rocky trail for most of the way and there are parts where you have to scramble over large rocks. At one point it looks like you are getting to the summit but don’t get your hopes up, you still have a ways to go.
The view from the top is breathtaking.
Be sure to bring lots of water!!!

Great views! But keep in mind, it’s really a hard trail! You’ll have long rocky trails going up. It took us 6 hours to go up and back.

It a nice trail, was moderate, it’s more green in the spring.

Beautiful! This trail is no joke but if you’re up for the challenge it’s great! Very rocky- I won’t go again without poles. Make sure to bring sunscreen and plenty of water!

great views from the top! quite busy.

Killer hike! Took my dog and I 6 hours total and we spent about 30 minutes at the top. I could tell his little paws were tired from the rocks coming back down the mountain. I used my entire 2.5L of water and my pup has his own water bottle but also drank from the creeks. It was hot going up and cold going down. I don't know how people wear tennis shoes on this hike because I would have 2 twisted ankles if I didn't have my boots on. Epic hike, beautiful views all the way up. Don't forget to stop and look around!!