EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Mount Tallac Trail

Mount Tallac Trail is a 9.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near South Lake Tahoe, California that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

The jewel in the crown of mountains which ring Lake Tahoe, Mt. Tallac promises unparalleled views from its summit 9,735ft above sea level. Unparalleled vistas await the Tahoe hiker on a memorable journey to the lake's tallest peak. This route takes you to the top via the most direct summer route through lush forest, along scenic ridgelines, past small alpine lakes and across blazingly colorful wildflower strewn high-altitude meadows. Sure the 3,500ft elevation gain is greater than you might experience on most day hikes, but both the journey and the destination are worth every single thigh-burning step.

we attempted this hike on may the 19th and were prepared with all the essentials and even ice spikes. we managed to get to cathedral lake before turning around. looking up at the bowl was just intimidating for us with all that snow... we will be back at a later date

05/19/17
It is beautiful, but snow everywhere. Prepare yourself appropriately with waterproof shoes, gloves.. Today was very sunny, so grab sunglasses and sunscreen. In terms of how to follow the trail, my best advice is hike with someone who has been there before or hope for footstep on the ground leading the way. We got lost very easily had were not able to complete the hike. But will for sure come back to try it again!

How was it Manny? Favorite trail in Tahoe by the way

how bad is it right now with the snow? we will be attempting to summit on may the 19th...

Fun hike
Enjoyed it!!

Superb views 360 degrees. At the top rocks will chew on dog feet. Summer has a ton of flies buzzing at you on the peak unless there's a breeze. Be care of pop up t-storms and flash overs. "I like"!

Fellow hikers, this hike was strenuous but so worth the views. This hike had Amaimg views and made it enjoyable. I've hiked many trails in Las Vegas, Nevada an this was an increible change of views for me, so surreal. Highly recommended.

Tough and worth it. Unreal prize at the top.

This is the most amazing hike I've ever done! My wife and I have done this hike twice actually. The first time we really had no idea what we were getting ourselves into. It was very physically challenging. We are pretty fit and active and the first time this hike took us 10 hours and a lot of crying on my end! LOL. this hike will really push your limits and test your strength and determination. the second time we did this hike we planned better and knew how hard it would be. And it took 12 hours for us to finish. Both times we started at sunrise and had lunch at the summit. Then we'd finish up the hike around sunset. The views along the way are so great.. the lakes you pass by are so serene, lovely field of wildflowers, and the view from the top is majestic. So majestic I climbed this mountain twice. If you really want to challenge yourself, DO THIS! You won't regret it, the view is so worth it, but the sense of accomplishment you get is just incredible. Wear good sturdy hiking shoes, this is rocky terrain and if you're not prepared your feet will be screaming. Also bring ALOT of water. I drank 3L alone and I'm a small girl. I actually drank all my water and didn't have anything to drink for last 3 hours of the hike. 5 stars all day long for this hike. It's one of the most amazing things my wife and I have ever done together! Total bucket list hike for sure!

I've hiked Tallac twice. Once in July and once in May. Snow was still on the mountain in May, which made a fun ride down because we just slid down what we could. Definitely have water and snacks and good shoes for this hike! One of my favorites mountains and so much beauty to see :)

most challenging hike I've done but totally worth it

Breathtaking views, worth the uphill battle! At the top you can see lakes left and right. The hike was strenuous, but there were plenty of places to rest and take a lunch break. We started our hike later in the day (not on purpose) around noon, and got back to the car right as the sunset. I would suggest starting earlier in the day so you're not running downhill to catch the rest of daylight!

incredible views. wonderful hike. dog friendly but be prepared for lots of sharp granite on the trails. wore out the pads on my dogs feet . he is an experienced hiker also...
this hike was one of the most beautiful I have been on in years and is exactly what you hoped to see in the Tahoe Basin. It does not disappoint.