Mount Tallac Trail [CLOSED] is a 10.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near South Lake Tahoe, California that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October.

Distance: 10.2 miles Elevation Gain: 3,290 feet Route Type: Out & Back

rock climbing

closed

It has been reported this trail has a temporary closure due to COVID-19. Please see the park's website for up to date information. There is parking alongside the street. A wilderness permit is required. You must purchase the permit before arriving to the Mt. Tallac Trailhead. Day hikers may pick up the permit at the self-service area. The jewel in the crown of mountains which ring Lake Tahoe, Mount Tallac promises unparalleled views from its summit 9,735ft above sea level. Unparalleled vistas await the Tahoe hiker on a memorable journey to the lake's tallest peak. This route takes you to the top via the most direct summer route through lush forest, along scenic ridgelines, past small alpine lakes and across blazingly colorful wildflower strewn high-altitude meadows. Sure the 3,500ft elevation gain is greater than you might experience on most day hikes, but both the journey and the destination are worth every single thigh-burning step. The summit is very rocky and can be confusing. Make sure you have a good understanding of your whereabouts so you can easily find your way back down. Sunscreen is a MUST. Totally exposed for long sections.

closed
icy

Amazing views!!! This hike is incline after incline for a solid 2 hours but there is so much to see on the way it's worth it. Trail slightly falls off near the top. One time I went and the snow was covering the last of the trail so we got lost for a hot minute. You will pass a few lakes that you would never see had you not hiked this trail! Trail took us about 5 or 6 hours roundtrip. Bring snacks and water.

My 8-year-old daughter and I hiked this trail (but did not make it to the summit) back in October 2019. It was an amazing experience!! We even encountered a bear!! Next time we will make it to the summit!

icy

Loved this hike. Be careful. I've done it during nice weather, but in blizzard or winter you need the right gear. There are three parts beginning (doable for everyone) the traverse (windy and may require snow shoes) and the ascent. There are often people on the beginning, but it's not crowded. You follow the rim so its beuatiful. If you go past the first 3rd, I'd recommend a windproof shell, a balaclava (its bright), and snow shoes. Poles are nice too. If you are looking for a day hike you can make this one exhausting or light depending on speed. I did it in 4 hours once and very much wanted to fall asleep on my feet at the end.

icy

I tried getting away from downtown Tahoe during my visit since there is too many tourists out there crowding everything but this trail gets crowded too and it's hard to find a parking spot specially during summer. The area was nice, not the best I've seen but it's nice. Everyone talks about Tahoe but is definately over rated. I try to go into the wilderness to get away from people but here is like been in the middle of a big city. Anyways if you dont like big crowds this place will will have less than other parts of Tahoe. Nice hike and pretty views as you go up but I dont think Difficulty level was hard though.

Amazing views parts of it r tough start early can get very sunny to the top

The view is incredible!!!

icy

Absolutely beautiful! We started at 5:30am and got up to the Summit around 9:30am. We did use micro-spikes and an ice axe to get up the steep parts. Be careful for sink holes around the rocks and trees. Going down, we enjoyed glissading down the steepest part. The snow was getting soft after that so we used snowshoes. By the end, we just used our boots but be careful as there are some icy patches. If you have some experience mountaineering (Novice here) and want some practice, this is a blast! Just be sure to watch out for conditions and start early. It is a little sad to see how little snow there is but none the less, the view is incredible!

icy

Breathe taking view but too dangerous at this time the ice is melting and very slippery.