Mount Tallac Trail

Mount Tallac Trail is a 10.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near South Lake Tahoe, California that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

The jewel in the crown of mountains which ring Lake Tahoe, Mt. Tallac promises unparalleled views from its summit 9,735ft above sea level. Unparalleled vistas await the Tahoe hiker on a memorable journey to the lake's tallest peak. This route takes you to the top via the most direct summer route through lush forest, along scenic ridgelines, past small alpine lakes and across blazingly colorful wildflower strewn high-altitude meadows. Sure the 3,500ft elevation gain is greater than you might experience on most day hikes, but both the journey and the destination are worth every single thigh-burning step.

Great views! But keep in mind, it’s really a hard trail! You’ll have long rocky trails going up. It took us 6 hours to go up and back.

It a nice trail, was moderate, it’s more green in the spring.

Beautiful! This trail is no joke but if you’re up for the challenge it’s great! Very rocky- I won’t go again without poles. Make sure to bring sunscreen and plenty of water!

great views from the top! quite busy.

Killer hike! Took my dog and I 6 hours total and we spent about 30 minutes at the top. I could tell his little paws were tired from the rocks coming back down the mountain. I used my entire 2.5L of water and my pup has his own water bottle but also drank from the creeks. It was hot going up and cold going down. I don't know how people wear tennis shoes on this hike because I would have 2 twisted ankles if I didn't have my boots on. Epic hike, beautiful views all the way up. Don't forget to stop and look around!!

A couple of years ago, A group of five friends in August did this hike and we were amazed by the summit view of the lake. It is hard, but memorable experience. This time in October, I want to take my wife with me and once more enjoy this beautiful trail with her. We are both hikers. The wind and sound of wind at the top was relaxing.

Just completed this hike on a cool autumn day. Lots of great views along the way and great payoff view at the top. The hike is rated difficult more for the terrain than the fitness required to complete the hike. After passing the two lakes early in the hike, you have a long stretch of very rocky trail with uneven footing. Some of the more difficult terrain that I have hiked. The last 1/3 of a mile is a rock scramble to the top. Great hike and I would definitely recommend it.

My husband and I did this hike to prepare for the Spartan Beast @ Squaw in two weeks- don't think too many trails would have been better! This was intense for sure