Mount Tallac Trail

Mount Tallac Trail is a 9.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near South Lake Tahoe, California that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

The jewel in the crown of mountains which ring Lake Tahoe, Mt. Tallac promises unparalleled views from its summit 9,735ft above sea level. Unparalleled vistas await the Tahoe hiker on a memorable journey to the lake's tallest peak. This route takes you to the top via the most direct summer route through lush forest, along scenic ridgelines, past small alpine lakes and across blazingly colorful wildflower strewn high-altitude meadows. Sure the 3,500ft elevation gain is greater than you might experience on most day hikes, but both the journey and the destination are worth every single thigh-burning step.

Great day hike. It took us 6 hours round trip with plenty of stops. Started late around 9am but the trail wasn't too packed. We stopped at Cathedral Lake for a quick snack and then had plenty of stops once we hit the rocks on the way up. Elevation was a little rough (we are from sea level). 3 liters of water was enough, but I'd recommend electrolytes on a warm day. Beautiful views the whole trail.

The views are amazing all the way up. I started at 5:30am and reached the summit about 7:30am. I would recommend going early to get a good parking spot and also hike when it's cooler. There will also be less people at the summit once you get there. When I hiked out there were lots of people coming in and cars parked on both sides of the road.

It's an incredibly beautiful hike, but you should make sure to have plenty of water and energy snacks

Amazing view, lots of traffic so best to hit early

Amazing hike!!! My GPS map says almost 12 miles. Make sure bring plenty of water or water filter. Definitely one of my favorite hike.

Beautiful hike! Every step gives you breathtaking views. The summit surely makes you feel on top of the world. Bring hiking shoes !

We hiked Mt. Tallac yesterday and have hiked this rugged monster several times in previous years. It definitely is humbling for me anyway. That's what I love about it!

Amazing views! So worth the hike. Start early in the morning if you want to make the summit.

Really loved this. It took me 4h20m round trip with pretty much even split on time up and down. My tracker showed 10.58 miles instead of the 9.6 shown here. Once you get above the trees onto the craggy shale it's fun, also once you're in he last stretch to the top the wildflower meadow was wonderful.

It is a stunning hike with wonderful views all around. There is a bit of bouldering you have to do, but it's so worth it. It took my friends and I about 8 hours up and back, but we did take our time getting up there.

One of the best views of Lake Tahoe - a hike well worth the hype

Did this hike with my girlfriend, definitely the highlight of our first trip to SLT. Be sure to get there early as the parking fills up quick. We started at about 815am, got to summit about 1145am and after an hour at the top, took about 2:30 hours back down... so definitely plan for an entire day. A few notes below:

Water - bring a lot of it... we had 4 bottles and 2 nalgenes, it was barely enough.

At summit - like most others, we brought sandwiches to the top to eat while we gazed at the views around us. There are a LOT of critters up there who have no issue getting into your food. Best thing I found to do was eat standing up, avoid leaving crumbs and DO NOT feed them. Also I like to drink a beer at the summit, however if you do the same be sure to bring something light... the altitude definitely made itself aware :P

Snow: even in August there were slanted stretches that we had to pass covered in snow. Two in particular I can recall; the first one was passable (hike in footsteps from others). The second is not worth passing in my opinion... boulder around it and continue.

Altitude: this might go without saying, but coming from Chicago the altitude definitely takes its toll on you if you're not prepared for it. Be sure to take your time going up and frequent minute-long stops.