Mount Tallac Trail

Mount Tallac Trail is a 9.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near South Lake Tahoe, California that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

The jewel in the crown of mountains which ring Lake Tahoe, Mt. Tallac promises unparalleled views from its summit 9,735ft above sea level. Unparalleled vistas await the Tahoe hiker on a memorable journey to the lake's tallest peak. This route takes you to the top via the most direct summer route through lush forest, along scenic ridgelines, past small alpine lakes and across blazingly colorful wildflower strewn high-altitude meadows. Sure the 3,500ft elevation gain is greater than you might experience on most day hikes, but both the journey and the destination are worth every single thigh-burning step.

What a hike! Snow the entire second half which slowed me down but didn't stop me! The 360 degree view from the top has to be one of the worlds bests.

This was a very tough hike for me, but I did it and it was worth the climb. I wouldn't do it again, but glad I did it once!

Took midtallac trail (ask around, unmarked and not on topo map or alltrails) from lily lake to meadow south of tallac, got to ridge line above cathedral bowl and then summited. Glissaded down from summit to cathedral bowl ridge then from ridge to cathedral lake. Back out to fallen leaf lake and lake lily. Couldn't have done it without microspikes, trekking poles, hard shell bibs/jacket and route finding skills in early spring alpine conditions. Going up cathedral bowl over the next few days could be challenging for those without mountaineering gear and/or experience, but the snow should burn off by late June early July. Good fun, would do again.

We plan to hike Mt tallac on July 4 weekend. What gear will we need besides waterproof hiking shoes, water and such things?

Fabulous trail with terrific views of the lake. Trail was about 80% snow covered at our turn around point. Used yaks on our boots for the last 30 min or so to help with the snow.

This hike is stunning and a classic for anyone in the Lake Tahoe area. For an experienced hiker, it is not too difficult except for the one mile part of the trail which is rocky and not entirely stable. It took me and my friend 2 hours to summit and around 1.5 hours to get back down. If you are in good shape, these times are pretty accurate for how long the hike takes. I would recommend bringing two liters of water, a camera, and a lunch to eat at the peak. There are a ton of chipmunks though so be mindful of that. Overall, the views are spectacular and if you start early in the day, around 7:30AM, you'll beat the crowds and have the trail mostly to yourself.

Awesome views of Lake Tahoe and Fallen Leaf Lake. A must do hike!

Made it up to cathedral lake before we had to turn back due to snow. Incredible views

6/7/17: trails still covered in snow. We ended up following a trail someone else recorded and posted. Without our poles, we wouldn't have made it to the summit. Overall, strenuous hike due to winter conditions.

Went on this hike Sunday a few days back. The potential is high for an amazing trail. We shall try again soon. But we hit too much snow after Floating Lake for merely hiking boots. It was difficult to keep track of the trail which was slowing us down too.

Probably my favorite hike in the Lake Tahoe Basin. Hiking Mt. Tallac ("Great Mountain") is a moderate day hike. The hike provides beautiful views of Lake Tahoe, Freel Peak, Fallen Leaf Lake, and Desolation Wilderness. At a leisurely pace, stopping at both Floating Island and Cathedral Lakes and with 35 mins of lunch at the peak, it's taken me about 5:15 hrs total.

Recommendations:
- Bring lots of water (at least 2.5 liters; once past Cathedral Lake, there's really no tree cover);
- Dress in layers (can be windy at peak);
- Bring a good hat and shades;
- Hiking in running shoes can get uncomfortable toward the peak because of the shale rock; I suggest trail running shoes or hiking boots;
-Sacramento Valley Dwellers, like me, take the hike a comfortable pace. Hiking up to 9,700+ ft. can be a challenge when coming from 0-60 ft. in elev.

The peak is flooded with adorable chipmunks. I've also seen black bears 2/3 times I've hiked this trail. Be sure to fill out a permit tag at the trailhead.

Amazing hike. We were able to follow the trail for about the first mile before reaching snow. After cathedral lake it was very steep hiking/climbing through melting snow to the top, but doable. Even saw a bear on our hike back! Amazing views from the top

Incredible view, worth the constant uphill. I was definitely confused when I saw small children in flip-flops and I was in hiking boots and dying of heat, but then realized that there is a shorter trail up the front side of the mountain. It was pretty crowded towards the top, but there was plenty of space for everyone. My friends and I hung out for about two hours took a nap and have lunch.