Mt. San Antonio & Mt. Baldy Notch Trail

Mt. San Antonio & Mt. Baldy Notch Trail is a 9.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Mt Baldy, California that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

historic site

A strenuous loop to the 10,068' summit of Baldy. Any Southern Californian can point out the white topped Mt. Baldy - actually it's real name is Mt. San Antonio. Baldy is a SoCal icon that stands out boldly as a snow-covered backdrop for much of the year. At 10,068 feet above sea level, the snow often sticks around well into June. This loop begins at the Manker Flats trailhead (National Parks Adventure Pass required), taking the winding fire road up Baldy Notch, then hiking the Devil's Backbone to the summit. The return route takes you down via the steep Baldy Bowl trail, passing the Sierra Club Ski Hut and San Antonio Falls on the way back to Manker Flats. This is the third of six southern California summits in the 6-Pack of Peaks bundle. Done in sequence, they provide great training anyone preparing for bigger hikes such as Mt. Whitney or Half Dome. Each hike in the 6-Pack is progressively higher in altitude, and all have respectable distance and vertical elevation gain. When you're at Baldy Notch, there are several paths that head towards Mt. Baldy (none of the marked). DO NOT take the far left path. That will take you to the foot of the Turkeyshoot ski run. It may be the most direct, but your legs will never forgive you for going up that run. No matter how you get there, though, all of the trails take you to Devil's Backbone, which leads you to Baldy. It's not so bad before the final ascent, but there are places where both sides of the trail drop away, and you could get some vertigo, if you're prone to it. But the ascent is the real butt-kicker. When you round Mt. Harwood and head for Baldy, the rest of your path is brutal and relentless. The views at the top are incredible, and there's wind-breaks other folks have constructed out of stones, so you can take a breather behind one of those if it's too gusty. From there, you have your pick of ways down, either back the way you came, down the Baldy Bowl/Ski Hut trail, or the Bear Canyon trail. Good luck. Make sure to check when the ski lift closes, if you plan to take it back.

Did Baldy via backbone on Sunday (1/15/18). Made it to summit via backbone without crampons but highly recommend them. Still plenty of snow above 8,000 feet. Came down ski hut and more snow on that side. Bring crampons or spikes. Wish I had brought my dog. He would’ve been fine. Be safe.

Great hike. Trail is mostly clear for now, but the last 700 feet or so of elevation have a couple inches of frozen over snow. Doable for now with boots still, but definitely recommend at least microspikes, especially if they get more snow.

One of the most fun and challenging hikes Ive been able to do. Took way longer than i expected but the view from the top is definitely worth the trek up. Devils backbone was more exciting than it was nerve wracking. If I could change anything about the hike, I would come down Devils backbone instead of baldy notch. The steep slope destroyed my knees coming down. All in all, an amazing hike.

I've only done this hike via Bear Canyon trail. I have horrible asthma and at around 6500ft the elevation starts to play with my mentality. I've completed it twice but each time I ask myself why I am doing it again.lol Going this way is roughly 14 miles from the trail head across from the village in Mt. Baldy to San Antonio falls road. I think everyone should do this hike at least once. It's a quite, less traveled route with breathtaking views but definitely for the more experienced hikers. Make sure you have at least 3 litres of water and snacks for fuel. The first 7 miles are about 18 to 23% incline steady! After that the next 4 or so miles are a traverse incline to the summit. After leaving the summit, coming down Devils Backbone was a blast. I ran most of the way until just before the lodge. Its very steep and rocky just before the lifts. Once you get to the lodge its about another 4 miles down the fire road to the San Antonio falls rd entrance/exit. Best time to go is between May and November depending on when winter season starts and ends. HAPPY HIKING!!!

worth it.

Very challenging hike that will get you panting and breathing for every bit of air. The views are gorgeous, but the peak tends to be very crowded.

Hiked this trail yesterday, definitely a difficult hike, especially the last 700ft in elevation gain! Started the hike at around 0700 and reached the top at around 1200. Had to take multiple breaks because the higher up we hiked, the longer we needed to recover because of the elevation (we started our day at approx 400 ft above sea level) I would most definitely do this again, however, I probably would come back on the Devil's Backbone trail because the Baldy Bowl to Ski hut trail was very rough going down and hard on the knees even with trekking poles. I would advise to bring 3L of water at the absolute minimum.

Very tough hike, especially for someone like me who isn’t used to longer hikes but it’s all worth it for the incredible views! This hike is like nothing else in LA. Many people worry about the Devil’s Backbone portion of the hike, as long as it’s not snowy it’s not too bad. Just take it slow. Overall, the hike was quiet, passing other hikers every once in awhile. I would definitely recommend this hike to anyone who wants to take their hiking game to the next level!

What a great hike,highly recommended.It's hard but beautiful views. Day was beautiful,couldn't ask for better. Came back down the Devil's back bone in a nice loop. Dress warm,it's windy up there.

rock climbing

We intended on taking the trail up to Mt. Baldy Peak, but couldn’t resist the waterfall to the left of the trail at the start. Pretty dangerous climb up the falls, rope is ideal (there are occasional anchors). Once you make it up a few plateaus you’ll need to decide to go left, right or up a much more vertical climb. We chose right being unprepared for a wall... left may have been a better choice. Continuing up to reconnect with the trail around the 7,300 ft mark was difficult and dangerous as hell. Loose rocks and soil everywhere, with the risk of a minor avalanche present. Plus it’s covered with these razor sharp plants that you WILL get stabbed by constantly, they suck. It was a really challenging route and we ended up cutting things off after that to nurse our wounds and save the peak for another time. Great trail heading back down, poles are a good idea if you ever have knee or ankle trouble.

First timer. Went up Ski Hut and down Baldy Notch. Appreciated the outhouse at Ski Hut! Navigation around Baldy Notch area is challenging. No signage there. Otherwise, trails are clear. No snow yet. Only biting summit winds!

Love this hike! On Sunday, December 4, 2017, we started at 7:30 AM from Manker Flats Trailhead and climbed up the ski hut trail to the top (about 4 miles); across the Devil's Backbone; and down to the ski lift and back to the car. We finished around 4:30; just before dark. The distance I calculated was a little under 11 miles (we took a detour using the fire road on the way down). It was just easier to walk. It was a cold day (mid 40s), and at the top and along the Devils Backbone the wind was strong, which made it colder. Still reasonable. Bring plenty of water (at least 2.5 liters). There is no water until you get to the ski lift area. The views are amazing all the way to the top. This is not an easy hike, but well worth it.

Hiked to the summit on 11/25/17, it was a steep climb all the way to the top. Late start at 10 am prompt us to take the 1st lift, 10:15 to 1:00 pm hike to the summit. Well worth the climb. At 1:30 pm we left the summit, we completed the loop at 4:45 pm. It was just as steep going down the mountain as it was up. No snow, no wind and it was a beautiful day 70 degrees for the high with a light breeze at times. Devil's backbone was not scary at all but would be in the snow or wind for sure. I had no effect from the elevation gain. A lot of loose rocks on the trail. I recommend if you have bad knees, back or ankles to wear the appropriate support. The difference between Mt Badin Powell and this hike is Badin Powell has switch backs and flat spots to catch your breath, Baldy is straight up. Baldy has great directional signs. There was no water so bring at the minimum 3L to 4L, no bugs, I recommend hiking shoes or boots. I would say this hike is strenuous for the experienced hiker. Ideally, I would have liked to start at 7am and end at around 2 or 3 pm. I loved this hike and would do it again, well worth the challenge.

loved this hike! first one and will do a couple more times to train for Whitney! I did this a few times and finally reached the summit on today's hike!!! perfect day, nice hikers! somebody gave me Gatorade since I almost ran out of water!

The hike has great views, but it is definitely not for beginners. I did the route clockwise where most people do it counter clockwise. Doing it clockwise knocks out the climbing faster because it is not gradual like going counter clockwise. Going clockwise does make it a lot harder. The Devil's Backbone was one of the hardest parts for me. It's not a lot of climbing, but certain sections are slightly narrow and both sides, if you fell off, can have you sliding down thousands of feet. It took us less than 7 hours which I believe isn't bad since we talked to a lot of people and took breaks to figure out which way to go since it was our first time. Parking was no problem considering it was Saturday. People were very helpful out on the trail, so it almost made it impossible to get lost because there were a lot of people who have taken those trails plenty of times.

Someone broke into my car and took my spare headlamp from the glove compartment and tshirt & sandals I brought to change after the hike. Didn't have anything else valuable in the car but center console was wide open and ransacked. Came on a Thursday 11/2/17, there were only a handful of cars there and people on the trail. 5/5 in terms of strenuous climb (vertical gain per mile) for Whitney training but 2/5 for views/etc. Prefer other hikes in the 6 peaks challenge (Cucamonga, Jacinto, etc.) better.

Awesome!! What a day!

This is my second time hiking Mt. Baldy... Awesome hike! Hiked with a few of my co-workers... Lots of fun!!!

Love the hike. Nice and beautiful.

Try the bear flat trail to baldy, the best but the hardest...