Learn more

Mount Pinos via McGill Trail is a 16.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Frazier Park, California that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 16.1 mi Elevation gain 2,939 ft Route type Out & Back

Photos (389)
Recordings (114)
Completed (236)
Kay Bee
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 2, 2020
View Kay's Recording
Lori Wolfe
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 9, 2020
Hiking

Absolutely perfect mountain trail for hiking or mountain biking. We met the most polite mountain bikers here and we were happy they shared their trail with us.

View Lori's Recording
Chuck Wittenberg
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 6, 2020
Hiking

Nice up and back trail off the beaten path so no one today up and back

View Chuck's Recording
Steven Binns, Jr.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 23, 2020
RunningBugs

Camped at McGill spot 55 as suggested below. Great spot! Close to bathrooms too. Be sure to bring a pen and cash because of self-registration when you arrive. The hike to Mt. Pinos was overall moderate. A couple strenuous steep spots but I was using this as a trail run. soo.. ya.. Took me about 1.5 hrs with stops for pics (about 4.5miles one way). No Sprint Cell service-be aware. Beautiful scenery. A few spots led in multiple directions but not hard to figure out. The final trail to Mt. Pinos has a tiny sign with Mr. Pinos and an arrow written in Black permanent marker. Close to the Nordic base parking lot. Turn right. There were bugs but not bad at campsite, minimal bugs on trail. Lot of Pine tree pollen when the wind blew so things get covered in green dust. No snow. Great weather.

Ericka Moment
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 13, 2020
Hiking

I’m camping we just walk a little we are at McGill campsite spot 55 the best view btw the trail is beautiful Be sure to hike early !

View Ericka's Recording
Nathan M
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 12, 2020
HikingRockySnow

Beautiful trail the entire way. I started from the trailhead and went all the way to the summit and logged 16 miles, so it is longer than what Alltrails says it is (see my recording) First creek at about 3.5 miles, and a few after that, but not a ton of water so bring plenty. Still patches of snow starting at about 7500 ft, but it was melting fast. The view from the summit is nice but kinda ruined by the tower. Most of the elevation gain is within the first 2-3 miles and then very modest after that, very few steep portions. on IG as @picbynathan

Adam Tat
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 25, 2020
HikingIcyMuddySnow
View Adam's Recording
karolina nowak
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 15, 2020
HikingMuddySnow

Wonderful trail through varied terrain, with gorgeous views that open up between the trees. Muddy in a few areas because of recent rains and snow melt. The trail is completely snow covered after about 3 miles in, making the hike slower than usual. We ended up turning around at the Nordic base parking lot (been to the peak plenty of times before, didn't want to trudge through more snow!). There is a small parking pull-out 0.5 mile up from the trail start in AllTrails - this shaves a mile off the route, if you get a spot (space for 3-4 cars).

View karolina's Recording
Lisa Khudaverdyan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 28, 2020
HikingIcySnow
View Lisa's Recording
Nathan M
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 18, 2020
HikingIcyMuddyRockySnow

Beautiful trail, Beautiful forest. The snow really adds a lot of beauty here, but there is a lot of trash left behind in certain areas where families come to play in the snow. As of today, there was still a lot of snow and ice on the trail, so micro spikes were needed for traction and snowshoes would be need to get to the top on IG as @picbynathan

View Nathan's Recording
Nicole Lantello
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 3, 2019
Hiking

Long but gentle with nice tree cover for most of it. Saw only a couple other people.

View Nicole's Recording
Johnny S
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 4, 2019
Mountain biking

First time out there on 4th of July.. very nice trail for all downhill! Went down on my Scott Aspect hard tail and was not difficult to ride all the way down! There’s a few places a full suspension definitely helps, but pick your correct line and you shouldn’t have any problems! The weather has been super nice!

Alli Hikesalot
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 5, 2019
Hiking

7/4/19: Great trail. This was my second time doing it, and the first time I didn’t summit due to lack of time. Did this as a trail run this time and the elevation is a great workout! Kept a 19-20min/mile pace. I started at 8:45am, and didn’t see too many bikers this time (gotta keep look out— there are tons of mountain bikers on the weekends!). This trail is well-kept and pleasant with great views. Not buggy at all. I didn’t see any hikers until mile 6 when I reached the Nordic base. From there it was 2 more miles to the summit, and that stretch was crowded with hikers, as many people drive to the Nordic base and hike the summit from there. The summit had some nice views of the Lockwood valley. Overall it’s a great hike!

Kurt Oberst
Hiking

nice trail, Mothers on trail in the morning. Bikers finished up about 12. We walked 11.5 miles round trip and 6 hours. Lots of flowers and nice tree shade most of the time.

View Kurt's Recording
Laurie McQuay-Peninger
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 27, 2019
Hiking

Great hike!!! Even in the snow. It snowed last night, so the hike up was snowy, but by the time I descended, there was no snow (past the snow zone that is). This trail has two parts, the first 4 miles are trail so there are narrow slopey parts, while the second 4 miles are in the Nordic park, so built for cross country skis and snowshoes, wider with no steep drops. I only saw one hiker and 7 mountain bikers on the lower part. There were more people up near the Nordic Base. There is one stream to cross (you can jump it) and a couple of muddy run-off areas. The snow at the top is melting, so it is pretty slushy in parts. I really enjoyed this hike by myself.

Kathy Lewis
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 16, 2019
HikingSnow

Hiked this trail last Sunday, April 14. Trail has a few intermittent patches of snow/ice but is relatively clear until up past Mt. Pinos campground. After you cross the road from there, the snow levels increase and there are places where the trail disappears. Once we reached Pinos Nordic base, I would say it's snow covered from that point to the summit. Lots of postholing and areas where it was difficult to find the trail. We used microspikes and poles. Waterproof gaiters and a spare set of socks recommended. The snow is melting fast so I would guess a couple weeks and it'll be gone, unless another storm comes through. We saw lots of animal tracks and not many humans on the first 4 miles. After Mt Pinos campground, there are a few more people and between there and the Nordic base, more trash and broken sleds from those dumb dumbs who think it's gonna pick itself up and throw it away Beautiful views and lots of serenity to be found on this trail.

Simon Oliver
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 24, 2019
HikingSnow

This is a steady incline the whole way. Great views of the valley. A couple of stream crossings that will probably be dry later in the year. Hiked this in March, the trail was 90% snow covered. Used snowshoes after mile 3.

View Simon's Recording
Kellie Wesley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 24, 2019
View Kellie's Recording
Sasha Ikovic
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 29, 2019
Hiking

Beautiful hike, especially with all the snow. As a winter hike with no crampons or snow shoes, there is still plenty of a challenge. You do need polls though. There are a couple sections about 3.1 miles in, which do not receive much sun. The the snow is hard and packed. The trail becomes almost non existent on the ridge of a steep slope. You’ll need polls, and have to dig your heel hard into the snow with each step to avoid falling down the steep slope. After that it’s pretty much cake though. As an FYI, my Lowa boots with Gortex did not do much to keep my feet dry. Most of the trek, my feet were water logged. So if you’re planning on trekking up this time of year, be prepared with better protection. I was not expecting to be knee deep in snow in many parts of the trail. There was no snow at the start of the trail head, and it’s deceiving. Had a great time, though. If you Love winter hiking. I Highly recommend.

Dave Peterson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 18, 2019
Hiking

Only hiked in 2.6 miles due to time constraints. As of Jan 18 2019 there is plenty of snow; shin deep in parts and up to lower thigh off the trail. Brought trek poles, gaiters, and crampons; glad I did. Although I only went a short distance I still saw some amazing views etc. I began at 6:15 a.m. and caught a beautiful sunrise above the clouds. The portion that I hiked was not particularly challenging; “moderate” at best. Definitely worth the 90-minute drive from Los Angeles and probably very rewarding if you hike all the way to Mt. Pinos peak. I did not have an adventure pass but avoided a ticket (maybe due to government shutdown).

View Dave's Recording
Shellie Billings
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 1, 2018
Hiking

It's been 16 years since I hiked this, so I was really happy to see how well it was kept. I bought my one day adventure pass at Don's liquor in Frazier Park for $5.36. The fee goes for trail maintenance and stuff. I didn't see one speck of trash on the trail! I only did 5 miles round-trip because I was limited on time, but I was there from around 10:45-1:45 and there was NOBODY around. There was a little ice on the ground at some points where the sun never shines, but the air was so fresh and crisp and beautiful. It's uphill the whole way, but it's gradual. My heart rate got up but not so much that I was gasping and had to rest for long. Didn't see any wildlife, but I had my 2 big dogs with me. Enjoy!

Leslie Ferrell
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarNovember 15, 2018

Nice well marked trail. Uphill most of the way, but do able. Only 3 people on bikes passed us and we were on the trail from 10 am-2pm. We went in November so it was cool. But you travel in and out of the sun. Lots of beautiful trees, pine cones and a few nice rock croppings if you go up far enough. Would totally do this trail again. Adventure pass required.