Mount Islip is a 5.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Valyermo, California that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 5.5 miles Elevation Gain: 1,368 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Please note: road may close in the winter. Please check prior to your visit. The views to the south from the summit of Mount Islip are nothing short of stunning. You can see Crystal Lake, the front range of the San Gabriels, as well as the San Gabriel river canyon. The hike starts out heading up a forest service road for a half mile, then you head left at the signed trailhead to Little Jimmy Camp, one mile ahead. The less ambitious in your group can relax in the camp (it has rest rooms and a spring a 1/4 mile away), while the balance of your group heads up to the summit. The summit trail is at the back of Little Jimmy camp (walk past both rest rooms). The summit trail takes you up some switch backs to a ridgeline. There is a junction with another trail at the ridgeline that comes up from Crystal Lake, but you should stay on the ridgeline trail up to the summit.

Great hike. seems like its more miles then what it says but its worth the climb up to Mt Islip. little patches of snow went May 23rd 2020. parking lot was full once we came down 11am

Great trail just need to walk about a mile up from parking area because gates closed off. Still some snow, but nothing too much!

Had a great time. We were only planning on doing Little Jimmy Campground, but we decided to go up to the top of Islip, which was definitely worth it. Even though it was super foggy, making it so we couldn’t see the view from the top, it was really beautiful. It was a lot of fun, and a really nice descent on the way back to give your thighs a rest. There were some snow/icy patches, but nothing worth wearing extra traction. But trekking poles might help, especially on the way down.

May 6th - Mt Islip from Islip Saddle parking lot. 1st time doing Islip. Thought it would be a good conditioning hike for elevation after laying off for a while. Some limited areas of snow, but doable without micro spikes. Clear skies and calm... until Windy Gap, which did not disappoint...

Hiked on 2/1/20. If driving in along Angeles Crest Hwy 2 from La Canada Flintridge, note the road is currently closed (due to not being plowed) just past the Islip Saddle Day Use parking lot so you have to start the trail along the PCT instead of the trailhead indicated in the AllTrails map. There is still plentiful snow on the trail, and I would come equipped with microspikes and trekking poles at minimum. Snow becomes heavier and softer in the vicinity of Little Jimmy Campground leading to postholing; likely could have proceeded from there to Mt Islip with snow shoes but I turned around with out them. Tested depth there and snow is at least ~2.5 feet. Trail is also harder to follow through the campground due to many criss-crossing footpaths, so I would recommend having GPS to confirm you’re staying on the trail. Overall, a beautiful winter hike!

Great trail. You park in a dirt turn out on the crest hwy. The beginning is steady uphill. The middle portion on the PCT is relatively flat then the last section is a decent climb. Took us 4 hours with a 30 minute brake at the top

What a beautiful hike!! My wife and I had been looking for a more wild trail away from the city and this was it! It was a good drive into Angeles National Park and we had the privilege to see different sections of the park with varying landscapes. Beautiful drive that led straight to the forest!! Keep an eye out for the trail head because it can be easy to miss! It’s a yellow gate that you will catch on the right side of the road. The trail clocked in at 6.6 miles and it had some good elevation gain. Definitely a great starter hike for future elevation hikes planned. The sight were beautiful and the trail has a steady pass that isn’t too difficult. The sights are amazing, especially when you get the view of the valley as you start to scale the mountain peak. Absolutely breathtaking!! Overall, a very enjoyable hike that I recommend to anyone wanting a hike away from the city!!

Great exercise. The elevation is at the beginning and end of the trail, middle section is relatively flat. Be mindful on the trail, I came across a rattlesnake near the campsite. Neat little house and great views at the top. Decent tree cover throughout the hike.

very popular trail..beautiful view of both San Gabriel Valley and the Antelope valley on both sides. BTW, toilets don't work on Little Jimmy

Amazing ! Great views ! A bit difficult!!

Sat May 18 2019

Peak offers a great reward for a fairly easy hike. Still scattered patches of snow as of mid-May. Bring a sweatshirt, but weather is fairly mild. Typical scenery for the Buckhorn area. Fine for dogs. Basically it’s an abbreviated version of Waterman or Baden Powell. Little Jimmy campground is about halfway up and has toilets.

Mon Dec 31 2018

there's patches of snow and ice, so be prepared for that.

Mon Nov 26 2018

What a treat! Did this with my son in late March 2018. There was a little snow on the ground in the lower forest areas, but the trail was clear at the top, and the views were stunning.

Sun Nov 25 2018

Beautiful views! Hiked to little Jimmys and hung some hammocks up. Trail is well kept, narrow incline, and unshaded throughout most of the way. Great work out and well worth it!

Wed Nov 14 2018

I definitely got lost. From the parking, make sure you go south and you will see a gate. I started up the trail next to the parking that said Islip Saddle and that was the wrong hike!

Mon Oct 22 2018

Yesterday was a beautiful day on this mountain! We parked in one of the turnoffs; there was only 1 other car when we started around 11:30am. Then, we started on the fire road (through the closed yellow gate) and followed the sign for Little Jimmy Campground to get on the trail. Fairly easy most of the way. The last .8 miles was the hardest part but very doable. I loved the views! We could see LA and Catalina Island through the clouds. The rock building at the top used to be a fire lookout station. Our final mileage was 6.6. Took us 3.5 hours out and back.

Sun Oct 21 2018

I recently moved back to California and needed to re-introduced myself to elevation hiking. This was my first hike in 7 years! The hike was amazing! The beginning and the end of the hike was a lot of elevation gain. There were many people on the trail but still worth the hike. The view from the top was amazing. On one side of the mountain one can see the LA basin and on the other side, the high desert. The only downside of this hike was using the outhouse at Little Jimmy Campground. The camp must have been full during the weekend because the outhouse was RIPE.

Fri Oct 12 2018

Awesome hike. Really great for beginners who want to challenge themselves, and/or good for seasonal hikers who want a semi moderate hike to get back into shape for the winter season. Moderate incline at the beginning and end of the hike. Took me about two hours with one rest break at the top of the mountain. Mostly shades until you get towards the top.

Sun Aug 26 2018

If I could give this trail 10 stars, I would! Awesome views, well kept trail, a good workout...the list goes on! LOVED IT

Mon Aug 13 2018

Had so many pretty views!! A lot of incline but I enjoyed it. At the summit there was a cool notepad you can write notes to people in or sign your name with a little Saying.

Sun Jun 24 2018

Great hike for a quick outing. Started off of Hwy 2 at the yellow gate. I hiked past Little Jimmy Trail Camp, visited Little Jimmy Spring, moved up to Windy Gap then to the summit of Mount Islip. Fantastic views from the top. Signed the book and returned the same way. I clocked about 6 miles on this route.

Thu Apr 19 2018

Great hike. Great view. Thanks to the fella that left a midweek hiker pin at the top. Cheers!

Tue Apr 03 2018

This. Hike. Is. STUNNING. Did it with my mom when she came to visit and it was her first summit! Pretty relaxed little single track trail with amazing views at every point. There was a bit of snow left on the trail at higher elevations, but it was easily navigated in regular hiking boots, only an inch or two deep. Plenty of parking right along the 2, and Little Jimmy Campground is a nice spot to take a break halfway up with bathrooms and a spring. I’d say this hike is longer than 4.2 miles, my GPS came out to roughly 6 all said and done. I highly recommend this trail to everyone, it’s a blast.

Tue Feb 13 2018

Entered Trail at fireroad with yellow gate and traveled approximately 3/4 of a mile and took a left at the trail sign towards Little Jimmy's Camp and proceeded to the top of Mt. Islip. Some small spots with snow on the trail, but easily passable. Great weather and a little windy at the summit.

Wed Jan 10 2018

Had a great day hike up there for Summits on the Air. My gps marked 3.12 from the road to the summit. 6.2 mi round trip. Great little campground with multiple wood stoves for cooking and restrooms 1 mile from the summit. The view is top notch.

Mon Dec 11 2017

This was easy hike and great view but WARNING!!! The direction to Mt Islip in this app is little misguided. It drop us off to park on little Jimmy campground fire road. If it wasn't for running into people we would have missed the trail up because there is no sign on this road telling you Mt Islip trail. How do we tell the app?

Thu Sep 21 2017

Short. Mildly strenuous. Dogs loved it!

Sun May 28 2017

Sat Mar 25 2017

I wouldn't say it's easy. Moderate. Great hike. High elevation. Great with dogs.