Mount Hollywood Trail

Mount Hollywood Trail is a 5.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Los Angeles, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

scenic driving

On a clear day you can see all of Los Angeles. Get there before 8am and you can park at the Observatory for free. Be aware of the heat as there is little shade on this hike. Hike early or late in the day if possible and bring lots of water. Excellent views and dogs are allowed, but failing to pick up after them will land you a $250 fine.

A bit crowded on the weekend. I went in September and it was a bit hot. But still a decent hike.

awesome brings me back to my love days

This trail should not be listed for mountain biking, or at least rated as a black diamond for biking (definitely not a blue). There is a sign that says no mountain biking along the trail as well, and the entry to the Hogback trail is essentially unmarked and is not maintained. I had to go off trail to avoid the no MTB section and missed the Hogback trail entry twice.

Nice view...

boy we found a shortcut that has a lot of overgrowth but it's very steep and it cuts off almost a mile of the trip to mount Hollywood Peak

Visiting from Northern CA...went by the mountain biking description above. Trail is not bike friendly.

This is my favorite trail in Griffith Park but I start this down by the pony rides/train ride. It makes the hike longer and more of a workout. Park down by the horses and walk across the street to the start of the hike, you can’t miss it. It will join up with other trails but eventually ends at Mt. Hollywood Summit which has amazing views of downtown LA and the observatory. If you take the hike from this starting point you don’t get the best views of the Hollywood sign.

Enjoyed this trial with my dog. Pretty easy but loved the view at the top. Went in early feb so it wasn’t too cold or too hot.

Fun hike with my dog, the view at the top of the summit is beautiful!

Nice hike easy, dog friendly. Lot"s of people at dawn so pretty safe to hike at night. Amazing view of LA.

Really good hike with beautiful views. Went with my husband and my 13 year old daughter and we all enjoyed the challenge.

One of my favorite LA Hikes. On a clear day you can see all of Los Angeles. Get there before 8am and you can park at the Observatory for free. Happy Hikings!

Nice way to see just how big Griffith Park is.

I forget how beautiful LA is from up here! This is a popular trail and I saw quite a few strollers. I started off from Vermont and hiked to Mt Hollywood. You have to cross the parking lot of the observatory to continue on to the Mt Hollywood trail. Will take my girls on his hike next.

There is a mountaineers side route near the top that’s fun but the loose sand makes it hard.

the panoramic views on this hike were awesome and all the people were very friendly Bobcats and coyotes so be careful

Great quick hike to stay in shape. The views are great!

Good workout with good views

I followed this map, which I shouldn’t have. Going up was awesome. Great viewpoint of Griffith Observatory, the city, and the Hollywood sign (pretty far to see).

But on the way back down according to the map, there’s a section which is a shortcut from one hill to the next one down. Instead of walking around to get here, I followed the map which led me offtrail to this scary, steep, dirt path. It was all dirt and gravel and I was hiking by myself. I was pretty scared because if I fell and hit my head, no one would know. It’s really hidden. Anyway, I knew it was offtrail because if you look at it on the map, theres no dotted lines or roads. I followed it anyway, since I was already lost, and it led to the electrical tower which I used the ladder to get down to the main trail. This was such a bad experience, do not take shortcuts!! Stay on the trail. I wish this app would change that section! It’s really dangerous.

Another thing that sucks is that this place is so big with many forks. I was pretty confused on where to go. I’m glad I had the map for that, since it tracks location.

Also, since I got lost, my recording shows me going back and forth so my total distance was 6.9 miles instead of 5.1...

I do this trail often, great views from the top of the Hollywood sign, dtla, the observatory, and surrounding mountains... good workout

Saturday was maybe my third hike up here and I love it.

Saturday, July 08, 2017

Saturday, July 08, 2017

Another hike to avoid on weekends, when more a-holes flock to play their cell phone music out loud and leave garbage everywhere. Go on Mondays when the Observatory is closed, and so there's less of a crowd.

Sunday, July 02, 2017

We did this hike with a large group of Cub Scouts several months ago. We did the 3.2 mile version. It took us 2 hours as the boys needed several breaks. Great hike. Parking is a bit tough even at 7:30am on a Saturday.

Monday, June 26, 2017

You will get lost!!!!!!!! Good til the last 30 minutes it ask us to find a nonexistent trail!!! And we got lost!!!!! N had to go off trail to call an uber to get to out car!!!

Wednesday, June 21, 2017

I enjoyed the majority of this hike, however if you follow THIS mapping of the trail the second to last quarter is not in my opinion kid or dog friendly. I'm not sure if most hikers and reviewers on here take this exact route because I scrolled through and only found about 3 recent reviews specifying this location and its difficulty.

If you look on the map, there's a portion teetering off the hogback trail that is not paved and marked. It seems like a shortcut through the mountain and It's barely suitable for climbing as it looks like an area that just experienced a recent rock slide. I had a leashed dog with me so though he had no difficulty getting down, I did trying to make sure I wasn't going to lose him and/or eat shit. I did fall though so lol! You also get to this ladder that is about 70 feet off the ground. If you bring your dog taking this trail you will have a bad time.

That being said, the views here at night as spectacular. The gridlocked city of LA is romanced by its city lights and you'll really not experience sightseeing like so anywhere else in Southern California. If you choose to do this trail, do it clockwise going up the ladder and rock scramble first because the rest of 4 miles is on a defined road. Might be easier that way.

Also this hike is extraordinarily packed. I think I bumped into more people here at 9pm on a Tuesday than I have on any hikes I've ever taken. Makes it a good location for a safe evening hike.

Monday, June 12, 2017

Lots of people but not crowded. fun to see LA area from the top! My 6 yr old hiked the whole thing, along with my 12,14 yr old. The two year old went in the carrier.

Monday, May 29, 2017

Awesome view great hike!

Thursday, May 25, 2017

Pretty cool to see the sign

Sunday, May 07, 2017

Great hike of 5.3 miles. BUT beware of the cut-thru off the Hogback trail- see below. We started at the Merry-Go-Round parking lot. We headed in the direction of the Old Zoo first. This trail is not a marked trail in the park. You have to follow the trail in this app. After we saw the Hollywood sign and Griffith Observatory- we headed along this trail, which is consistent with the the Hogback trail, UNTIL we got to the point the app indicated to leave the fireroad/ Hogback trail and traverse down a not well travelled trail. Very steep, and after you get to the point you are under the electric tower- you have to use a ladder. Ladder is ok, except we had a dog. We had to carry him down the ~40 steps of ladder.