Mount Hollywood Trail

Mount Hollywood Trail is a 5.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Los Angeles, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

scenic driving

Excellent views and dogs are allowed, but failing to pick up after them will land you a $250 fine.

Good workout with good views

I followed this map, which I shouldn’t have. Going up was awesome. Great viewpoint of Griffith Observatory, the city, and the Hollywood sign (pretty far to see).

But on the way back down according to the map, there’s a section which is a shortcut from one hill to the next one down. Instead of walking around to get here, I followed the map which led me offtrail to this scary, steep, dirt path. It was all dirt and gravel and I was hiking by myself. I was pretty scared because if I fell and hit my head, no one would know. It’s really hidden. Anyway, I knew it was offtrail because if you look at it on the map, theres no dotted lines or roads. I followed it anyway, since I was already lost, and it led to the electrical tower which I used the ladder to get down to the main trail. This was such a bad experience, do not take shortcuts!! Stay on the trail. I wish this app would change that section! It’s really dangerous.

Another thing that sucks is that this place is so big with many forks. I was pretty confused on where to go. I’m glad I had the map for that, since it tracks location.

Also, since I got lost, my recording shows me going back and forth so my total distance was 6.9 miles instead of 5.1...

I do this trail often, great views from the top of the Hollywood sign, dtla, the observatory, and surrounding mountains... good workout

Saturday was maybe my third hike up here and I love it.