Mount Hollywood Trail

Mount Hollywood Trail is a 5.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Los Angeles, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

scenic driving

On a clear day you can see all of Los Angeles. Get there before 8am and you can park at the Observatory for free. Be aware of the heat as there is little shade on this hike. Hike early or late in the day if possible and bring lots of water. Excellent views and dogs are allowed, but failing to pick up after them will land you a $250 fine.

Enjoyed this trial with my dog. Pretty easy but loved the view at the top. Went in early feb so it wasn’t too cold or too hot.

Fun hike with my dog, the view at the top of the summit is beautiful!

Nice hike easy, dog friendly. Lot"s of people at dawn so pretty safe to hike at night. Amazing view of LA.

Really good hike with beautiful views. Went with my husband and my 13 year old daughter and we all enjoyed the challenge.

One of my favorite LA Hikes. On a clear day you can see all of Los Angeles. Get there before 8am and you can park at the Observatory for free. Happy Hikings!

Nice way to see just how big Griffith Park is.

I forget how beautiful LA is from up here! This is a popular trail and I saw quite a few strollers. I started off from Vermont and hiked to Mt Hollywood. You have to cross the parking lot of the observatory to continue on to the Mt Hollywood trail. Will take my girls on his hike next.

There is a mountaineers side route near the top that’s fun but the loose sand makes it hard.

the panoramic views on this hike were awesome and all the people were very friendly Bobcats and coyotes so be careful

Great quick hike to stay in shape. The views are great!

Good workout with good views

I followed this map, which I shouldn’t have. Going up was awesome. Great viewpoint of Griffith Observatory, the city, and the Hollywood sign (pretty far to see).

But on the way back down according to the map, there’s a section which is a shortcut from one hill to the next one down. Instead of walking around to get here, I followed the map which led me offtrail to this scary, steep, dirt path. It was all dirt and gravel and I was hiking by myself. I was pretty scared because if I fell and hit my head, no one would know. It’s really hidden. Anyway, I knew it was offtrail because if you look at it on the map, theres no dotted lines or roads. I followed it anyway, since I was already lost, and it led to the electrical tower which I used the ladder to get down to the main trail. This was such a bad experience, do not take shortcuts!! Stay on the trail. I wish this app would change that section! It’s really dangerous.

Another thing that sucks is that this place is so big with many forks. I was pretty confused on where to go. I’m glad I had the map for that, since it tracks location.

Also, since I got lost, my recording shows me going back and forth so my total distance was 6.9 miles instead of 5.1...

I do this trail often, great views from the top of the Hollywood sign, dtla, the observatory, and surrounding mountains... good workout

Saturday was maybe my third hike up here and I love it.

Another hike to avoid on weekends, when more a-holes flock to play their cell phone music out loud and leave garbage everywhere. Go on Mondays when the Observatory is closed, and so there's less of a crowd.

We did this hike with a large group of Cub Scouts several months ago. We did the 3.2 mile version. It took us 2 hours as the boys needed several breaks. Great hike. Parking is a bit tough even at 7:30am on a Saturday.

You will get lost!!!!!!!! Good til the last 30 minutes it ask us to find a nonexistent trail!!! And we got lost!!!!! N had to go off trail to call an uber to get to out car!!!

I enjoyed the majority of this hike, however if you follow THIS mapping of the trail the second to last quarter is not in my opinion kid or dog friendly. I'm not sure if most hikers and reviewers on here take this exact route because I scrolled through and only found about 3 recent reviews specifying this location and its difficulty.

If you look on the map, there's a portion teetering off the hogback trail that is not paved and marked. It seems like a shortcut through the mountain and It's barely suitable for climbing as it looks like an area that just experienced a recent rock slide. I had a leashed dog with me so though he had no difficulty getting down, I did trying to make sure I wasn't going to lose him and/or eat shit. I did fall though so lol! You also get to this ladder that is about 70 feet off the ground. If you bring your dog taking this trail you will have a bad time.

That being said, the views here at night as spectacular. The gridlocked city of LA is romanced by its city lights and you'll really not experience sightseeing like so anywhere else in Southern California. If you choose to do this trail, do it clockwise going up the ladder and rock scramble first because the rest of 4 miles is on a defined road. Might be easier that way.

Also this hike is extraordinarily packed. I think I bumped into more people here at 9pm on a Tuesday than I have on any hikes I've ever taken. Makes it a good location for a safe evening hike.

Lots of people but not crowded. fun to see LA area from the top! My 6 yr old hiked the whole thing, along with my 12,14 yr old. The two year old went in the carrier.