Mount Gower Open Space Preserve Trail

Mount Gower Open Space Preserve Trail is a 9 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Ramona, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from October until May. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 9.0 miles Elevation Gain: 2,178 feet Route Type: Loop

Note: Mount Gower is closed in August due to extreme heat. Mt Gower Open Space is great for hiking and normally takes a half day. The trail starts off pretty flat, and after the first mile or so there is a steep incline up to a rolling ridge-line before you continue up to the main peak. The preserve offers great views as far as the coast on clear days. Steep grades in places and no shade throughout the hike. Lots of chaparral and shrubs. Trail is well maintained and easy to follow.

This hike was amazing! The trail is well maintained, but a little confusing to follow. I would recommend using the all trails map to ensure proper orientation of yourself while on the trail. It gets really confusing up towards the summit, but once you get there the views are INCREDIBLE. One tip I have is once you get to the flat rock section at the top, pay attention to the lines running up the rock towards the summit. They will guide you to the dirt trail that continues on. Start early to stay out of direct sunlight and maybe bring a hat!

September 28, 2019. Second time hiking the trail and in the rain too. Second time the charm and located the Peak Log and signed it. We only saw 2 other people on the trail and that was when we were trekking back. Man, I forgot how tough this trail was. Total statistics, 8.77 RT miles and 2,775’ elevation gains!

We went 5/11/19 . Sorry for the late review . We really enjoyed this hike. It’s definitely not marked as you get closer to the peak. The day we went it started to pour on us while we were were closer to the top which made the boulders super slippery. We never made it to the peak bc of the rain and lightning we turned back. We will go again ! But the views that we saw were amazing !

Pretty awesome except the ups AND downs. I like just up then back down. Bit of a scramble at the end to get to the top but good trail all the way till the last leg. Mid day shade will be hard to come but. I went through 5 liters of water but I’m big, so come prepared.

I didn’t hike this yet but just wanted to report it’s closed in August do to extreme heat. I’ll be trying it when it opens again.

fun trail. I would rate as difficult took me just under 5 hours with about 40 mins of testing time included. I brought 3 liers of water and drank just over 2. I left really early (6am) and it was very hot on the way back. Great views from the peak.

Wear sunscreen and a hat! Luckily we hiked with overcast on the way up, but once the sun peaked through it was very warm. The mix of terrain and ups/downs makes this hike easy to complete in interval fashion. Decent places to stop along the way if needed

This was a tough, but fun trail. Ups and downs all the way. Some very steep areas that are a little tough on the knees so I was actually thankful for the ups on the way back. We recorded more like 10 miles. The trail gets confusing toward the top-maybe last half mile to 1 mile. It is a scramble. It is a hot trail-we lucked out with a perfect day!

It's not well marked. I got lost and forged across the gulleys and chaparral to my car.

Hot and exposed, long up and down trail for a while. After We hiked about a mile or two, we found out we gained only a couple of hundred feet. We laughed as we saw our car parked almost in front of us, thinking why we couldn’t just walked straight up to here?? Trail lay out wasn’t very impressive, but Gower peak was beautiful.

For me my most challenging hike to date!! I now know I’m ready for El Cajon Mtn!! It may have taken us a few hours to complete but we did it! Hiked with my epic hiking partner, my daughter!! Great hike to push your limits!! A lot of up and down! In awe of the ridge we hiked along! Great trail! Well maintained! Mustard stuff a little overgrown in spots but minimal!! The end a big scramble up very large slabs of granite! Pushed my comfort zone so sorry to say I was few feet short of making the very top but so close!! May have been an easier route! Saw about 10 other people!! Absolutely gorgeous day and got a little chilly on top!! Descent was warm, no shade and sun in front of you whole time!!

Great work out! Good for a training hike. Felt uphill both ways. There is very limited shade so keep that in mind if you’re thinking about going on a hot day. Awesome views from the summit. It was easy to get off tract towards the top but not hard to find a way up. Some scrambling. Like others have said the trail is maintained but there is no signage or trail markers. Having this app helped.

This hike was amazing. We started the trail next to the restroom. We followed the trail all the way towards the peak. A lot of up & downs in between. Towards the peak, the trail is somewhat hidden. As long as you take your time, and look carefully, you will have no problem.

it's hard/strenuous. well its worthy. jard to uphill/downhill, steep, rocky. last 3 to 5 miles hard to find path and rick disappeared. so for me my experience challenge. walking make me tired my legs and feet. it is worthy challenge at Mt. Gower. Will do again

I completed this hike on Saturday March 16, 2019. This hike was very strenuous, especially the last mile to the peak where the trail virtually disappears in the rocks. Otherwise the hike was very pleasant.