Mt Gower Open Space Preserve Trail

Mt Gower Open Space Preserve Trail is a 9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Ramona, California and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, horses, and mountain biking and is best used from October until May. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Mt Gower Open Space is great for hiking and normally takes a half day. The trail starts off pretty flat, and after the first mile or so there is a steep incline up to a rolling ridge-line before you continue up to the main peak. The preserve offers great views as far as the coast on clear days. Steep grades in places and no shade throughout the hike. Lots of chaparral and shrubs. Trail is well maintained and easy to follow.

Put 70 lbs on my back, did it in about 4 hours up and down. If you're in good shape, very fun and rewarding hike. If you're not in shape, the up and down will make your legs burn but it's doable. Great view and not too crowded. Way better than stupid iron or potato which are crawling with annoying loud littering people. Def recommend this one. My puppy handled the scramble to the summit fine.

I'm not sure why this is rated moderate, I mean it is moderate, but compared to other all trails ratings it seems like it should be ranked hard. It's steep at the end.

I have been looking at Mt Gower from my backyard for almost 25 years - and I finally hiked to the top! I would classify it as "hard" since I had to scramble up rocks to get to the peak. The views are incredible - and I am so grateful that I did not see any rattlesnakes on the way up or down!

Good hike, not much shade. I'm not a big fan of hikes where you go up, go down, go up, go down, etc. I like the steady climb to the top but this hike is up and down. The last 1/2 miles is interesting. Just some big old rocks and a scramble to the top. Kind of cool though. You can take some non-descript trails or just scale the rocks. View from top are awesome. There was one other person at the trailhead and I here there's never many people even though the lot is big. There are restrooms at the trailhead and trash cans. It got pretty hot coming back and I did see a big rattlesnake. It's body was crossing the trail, couldn't see it's head but it did rattle a little. It was at the water/creek crossing where the trees are. It was a great workout, not crowded, unlike a lot of hikes and good views. I would at least doing it and judging for yourself.

Awesome hike ... one of the better views I've seen in San Diego. Sure helps when all the landscape is green

one of my favorites! not alot of people go here so anytime of week or day is great. there are no bathrooms, trashcan or water along the way so be prepared. I hike alot and this one is a great workout for me! lots of cool Rick formations along the way. Lots of snakes so pay attention.

Awesome awesome hike beautiful scenery with really cool rock formations. Bring lots of water and be prepared for a long challenging hike!

I feel like this should be rated hard. At least the trail goes up and down so you can recover after some climbs. Loved the scenery close to the top, with some running water after the rains.

Great... know this mountain like the back of my hand !

I would actually rate this hike as hard. It's pretty challenging as there are ups and downs both ways. I enjoyed the rock formations on this hike.

love this place!! 3 hikes to do. from the main staging area facing sign hike to left is just under 5 miles and hike/running takes about 1 hour. Hike to the right and up right again at boulders is under 3 and hike/running is about 40 minutes. Hike to the top is under 8 and takes about 3.5 hrs hike/running. Must bring lots of water to top when hot!! Beautiful!!! love it. If you love getting out away from everyone then try this place.

Did this hike during a heatwave. I think it was 80 degrees by 730 a.m. Definitely get out early for this one if you are going for the Gower summit. There is very little shade. Water...whole lot of water. Poles are good. This hike is tough.

Sunday, May 15, 2016