Mt Gower Open Space Preserve Trail

Mt Gower Open Space Preserve Trail is a 9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Ramona, California and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, horses, and mountain biking and is best used from October until May. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Mt Gower Open Space is great for hiking and normally takes a half day. The trail starts off pretty flat, and after the first mile or so there is a steep incline up to a rolling ridge-line before you continue up to the main peak. The preserve offers great views as far as the coast on clear days. Steep grades in places and no shade throughout the hike. Lots of chaparral and shrubs. Trail is well maintained and easy to follow.

39 minutes ago

Awesome hike ... one of the better views I've seen in San Diego. Sure helps when all the landscape is green

one of my favorites! not alot of people go here so anytime of week or day is great. there are no bathrooms, trashcan or water along the way so be prepared. I hike alot and this one is a great workout for me! lots of cool Rick formations along the way. Lots of snakes so pay attention.

Awesome awesome hike beautiful scenery with really cool rock formations. Bring lots of water and be prepared for a long challenging hike!

I feel like this should be rated hard. At least the trail goes up and down so you can recover after some climbs. Loved the scenery close to the top, with some running water after the rains.

Great... know this mountain like the back of my hand !

I would actually rate this hike as hard. It's pretty challenging as there are ups and downs both ways. I enjoyed the rock formations on this hike.

love this place!! 3 hikes to do. from the main staging area facing sign hike to left is just under 5 miles and hike/running takes about 1 hour. Hike to the right and up right again at boulders is under 3 and hike/running is about 40 minutes. Hike to the top is under 8 and takes about 3.5 hrs hike/running. Must bring lots of water to top when hot!! Beautiful!!! love it. If you love getting out away from everyone then try this place.

Did this hike during a heatwave. I think it was 80 degrees by 730 a.m. Definitely get out early for this one if you are going for the Gower summit. There is very little shade. Water...whole lot of water. Poles are good. This hike is tough.

Beautiful hike but I would rate it as challenging/difficult. To get to the top there isn't a super clear trail, we just followed a wash that may have been there due to all the rain we've been getting. I consider myself a novice hiker in good hiking shape, but it is possible to get lost so keep track of your surroundings! Overall a great day hike :)

Really fun but no rivers or streams. Lots of rocks and uphill climbing

We cut a little off the trail at the beginning by going over the hill and joining the trail at tee-pee rock after that we stay on the trail to the top. The view at the top was spectacular, you get a 360 of the whole valley. Take plenty of water and a trail snack to get your energy back. Very tired on last hill coming out. Total for doing it this way was just over 7 miles and about 4 hours.

Saturday, April 2, 2016 I wanted to explore new hiking terrains so friend mentioned Mt. Gower's Peak. I really enjoyed the long distance 8.82 round-trip mileage my GPS64 registered which included the viewpoint to the right of Tee-Pee Boulders! After a short stint to the viewpoint, you will saddleback then steep hike towards the water tower. From here, you'll discover 3 peaks, each ascending after the next before trekking Mt. Gower which is a challenge in itself. Reaching the peak, you encounter 3 huge boulders that look like the famous Stonehedge and minutes later a Flintstone like table-rock. From this point it is pretty much all a steep hike/climb to the peak! Relaxing at the summit & the view is well-worth the hike! Bring lots of water and munchies because the trek back to the trailhead is exhausting!