Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Mount Baldy via Register Ridge

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow Star(523)
Angeles National Forest

Mount Baldy via Register Ridge is a 7.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Mt Baldy, California that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 7.3 miles Elevation Gain: 3,937 feet Route Type: Loop

did this trail today and let me say this trail wastes no altitude at all. the start is very steep and from there it levels out a bit but there is in total around 30 ft of flat ground or descent. the rest is literally just up. went to top summited mt harwood. tagged baldy as well as the west summit. and headed down ski hit trail. if your looking for a challange this is a perfect route but other than that i thought the ski hut route was way more scenic in my opinion.

If you go clockwise from the trailhead and summit Baldy — you’re fine. Little snow in places, but for the most part it’s all melting/melted. Once you head back — DO NOT TAKE REGISTER RIDGE. The “trail” is essentially 2 miles of absurdly steep, loose and rocky terrain, on a narrow ridge line. You descend the full 3000+ feet, slipping and sliding and desperately trying not to fall off the side. Summit took a little over 2 hours. Descent took 5. I’m certain that had I not had poles I wouldn’t be writing this. By the time I got back to the fire road my legs were shaking with exhaustion — a first time for me. Incredibly dangerous.

icy

icy

Great trail. Roughly 30 people who Summited today. Would definitely recommend crampons and micro spikes. After you pass the Ski Lodge there’s still a lot of snow. Had 2 liters of water and was fine. VERY steep

went counter clockwise. steep and difficult. very good views

DO NOT RECOMMEND FOR DESCENT. Very steep with loose rocks.

Super steep! But so worth it♥️

Might be the best way to go up Baldy. beautiful views and. tons of wildlife. I saw a bear and 2 bighorn sheep otw up. very steep!

Incredible. I did this loop clockwise and I thought the descent was much harder on the legs than the ascent. It is steep so be in good shape and have excellent footwear.

The steep, scree-heavy return descent (if going counter-clockwise) is absolutely brutal- especially without polls. I would not recommend. That being said, it’s an amazing trail and will be more prepared next time.

Awesome hike, worth it.

Phone read 7.56m in 3:43:07 with 3979ft of gain. Went counterclockwise, would recommend this but clockwise is certainly doable. Ridge is definitely straight up though I didn’t use poles and rarely had to use hands. I went on a Saturday morning and only saw 2 people on the ridge itself compared to countless people on all other portions. Cool rock formations you have to crawl through in a couple of spots. Also decent shade all the way to the backbone.

They’re not kidding when they say hard. If I walked any slower up Register Ridge I’d be going backwards. Straight up, loose rock/scree, didn’t use poles but many others did. This hike was absolutely breathtaking the entire time! Waterfalls, gorgeous wildflowers and striking views of the mountains. We even saw a bit of snow at the top. Definitely bring lots of food, extra water, and protection from the sun. First time at Baldy and will definitely come back!

My favorite way to get in my elevation gains in a short amount of time. Add a trip to W. Baldy to top the elevation gain past 4k.

Super steep on register ridge. I took the ridge back in 1.5 hours from the peak to trailhead but even getting down was hard. You need to have trekking poles and supportive boots.

Steep uphill with scree in places makes for strenuous and challenging climb. Added Harwood and Baldy West to the mix.

Tough, but a rewarding hike. The side trial up the ridge is about 100m from the fire road turn off for the Baldy Bowl trail. if you're looking for a good workout take this trail up.

Fun hike with lots of good views. I got off course and ended up taking a longer route down past the ski lifts.

The only way I to get to summit. Most direct and most beat the crap outta you. I’ve used sticks before and this time I didn’t. Love this way.

Cool way up!

This is a steep, direct route up to the main trail, where it shoots you out right next to the side trail to Mt. Harwood. The small side trail for the ridge is easy to miss if you aren't looking for it and it isn't marked. Bring adjustable trekking poles otherwise you'll need hands for balance in some spots. The gravel is just very slippery and since it's a steep grade I wouldn't recommend this trail for anyone not in great shape. Bring at least 3L water, a headlamp in case you end up hiking back in the dark, a jacket for the summit, food, layers, sunscreen, big hat, and sunglasses. I started this hike at 10am on a Friday and it was hot but manageable on the way up due to the frequent shade spots and breeze along the ridge. The baldy bowl trail was HOT on the way down. I wouldn't recommend taking the bowl up, as the ridge is much quicker and direct. you also get to enjoy Mt Harwood and devils backbone if you take the ridge route. Very few people on a weekday compared to the weekend. I didn't see a single soul on the ridge, except for some beautiful grey squirrels.

We took this route counter clockwise. The route up Register Ridge was very steep the entire way to Devils Backbone. The steepness of Register Ridge is equivalent to the last mile of C2C before you reach the gondola. Once you hit Devils Backbone it levels out until the final ascent to the Baldy summit. We made it to the summit in 2:45 and it took us 2 hrs to get from the summit back to the parking lot. We are in good hiking shape so I would add an hour or two if you want to take your time and enjoy the views. This is a very challenging route that does not have any water on the trail (there are a couple streams around the ski hut if you have a way to filter your water). My wife and I each drank 3L of water and I ran out during the last mile. I also recommend the use of hiking pole as several of the descents on the ski hut trail are quite steep and have loose rock. My wife and I slipped several times on the descent. Overall, this was a great hike and we will most likely take it again.

I was pleasantly surprised by how nice this trail was, don't get me wrong this is a steep practically straight up trail but there are lots of mini switchbacks to ease the strain.I never knew this trail existed until last year so I thought I should give it a try. I will definitely do it again.