Mt. Baldy via Devil's Backbone Trail

Mt. Baldy via Devil's Backbone Trail is a 12.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Mt Baldy, California that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Taking the 10 - 60- or 210 fwy exit Mountain Ave. and head north. Mountain Ave. turns into Mt. Baldy Road, take this road all the way up to Manker Flats Road, located about 100 yards past Manker Flats campground on the west side on the street.

Took the shortcut up register ridge which is fantastic if you don't mind grabbing hold with your hands in places. Then up to baldy which has great views everywhere. Going down register ridge has great views but is brutal on your feet.

This was an awesome, easy-to-follow trail up to the summit of Mt. Baldy. My buddy and I started at trail head near Manker Flats Campground, which we followed up to the Ski Lodge and then along the Backbone itself to the summit. The most arduous part of the hike begins just past the Ski Lodge, which is a steep slope up rocky scree.

This hike can take anywhere from 5 to 10hrs depending on your pace and the conditions. If going in the warmer summer months, please bring at least 5 liters of water. I passed several people who had only a single, near empty Dasani water bottle (barely a liter total) that were barely past the Ski Lodge with many miles left; many others had more water, but still not enough. Snacks are also a good idea, especially something that will get salts back into your body; you're going to sweat a lot! One last thing: I recommend spending a night at the trail head before heading out; it really helps with the altitude.

Overall, the effort was worth it and the views at the top (as well as on the way up) are spectacular; bring a camera! My buddy and I got to watch thunderheads forming out in the east while we were up there!

It is not to difficult if you pace yourself! Bring walking sticks if you can and carry lots of water!

The views are totally worth it!

tuff hike. This is about the limit i would want to do in a day. My tracker had me at 15miles from car to summit and back. I brought 2ltr of water and it was the perfect amount. Lots of people on the trail.

Truthfully i enjoyed the views hiking up, then the view from the top.

Loved it, especially the backbone and the view from the top. Not as hard as you would think.

Amazing hike!! talk about hiking on top of the clouds :)

I made a loop by going up Baldy Bowl and down Devil's Backbone. Roughly 11 miles according to 2 gps I have. Wow! climbing Baldy Bowl was no joke. Great workout and so beautiful. Devil's Backbone is a great name for this trail. Stunning views all around. There were a couple spots with snow North of the trail but I don't expect them to be around long. I went down this trail, but it looked to be a great workout if coming up.

I'm a huge fan. Most people brought trekking poles which I recommend. Everyone should do this loop.

This is a TOUGH HIKE! Don't believe anybody who says otherwise! Took a Boy Scout troop, we started and ended from the Ski Lift parking lot, which cuts the distance to about 10 miles total. However, you have to pay $5 for parking here. We hiked up some of the ski trails, which I don't recommend since there are lots of loose rocks.

The Devil's Backbone portion is not too hard, but can be treacherous if you're not paying attention. The final approach is an absolute BEAR. Unfortunately, there was some haze so we could not enjoy great views.

We felt quite accomplished after this feat. DON'T do this hike unless you have significant experience hiking at elevation. Bring at least 96 ounces of water per person.

Great mid-week hike, accomplished in 5.5 hours. We set a good pace as the going get's tough starting past the chair lift, but a very enjoyable hike!