Mt. Baldy via Devil's Backbone Trail

Mt. Baldy via Devil's Backbone Trail is a 12.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Mt Baldy, California that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Taking the 10 - 60- or 210 fwy exit Mountain Ave. and head north. Mountain Ave. turns into Mt. Baldy Road, take this road all the way up to Manker Flats Road, located about 100 yards past Manker Flats campground on the west side on the street.

This is a TOUGH HIKE! Don't believe anybody who says otherwise! Took a Boy Scout troop, we started and ended from the Ski Lift parking lot, which cuts the distance to about 10 miles total. However, you have to pay $5 for parking here. We hiked up some of the ski trails, which I don't recommend since there are lots of loose rocks.

The Devil's Backbone portion is not too hard, but can be treacherous if you're not paying attention. The final approach is an absolute BEAR. Unfortunately, there was some haze so we could not enjoy great views.

We felt quite accomplished after this feat. DON'T do this hike unless you have significant experience hiking at elevation. Bring at least 96 ounces of water per person.

Great mid-week hike, accomplished in 5.5 hours. We set a good pace as the going get's tough starting past the chair lift, but a very enjoyable hike!

Great day hike for anyone living in the los angeles area! Not easy but not hard, takes 5-9 hours depending on your pace. Pretty views from the top! Don't forget what the elevation can do to you and be cautious if there is any snow, some portions of this hike consist of narrow cliffsides and will be unpassable in snowy conditions.

Great hike with amazing views!

A great climb up a popular peak. Be careful as you walk down the devil's backbone -- it's narrow.

This hike took my lunch money, super hard. Great conditioning for Whitney later this summer! Definitely recommend. Enjoy!!

Boy OH Boy!!! My 1st time here and it was tough. If you plan on going take proper equipment. We went up Devils backbone trail. Took a break at the ski lift and continued. I was carrying 12lbs back pack. There was a time I felt I wasn't going to make it but I did, I even got emotional when I reached the top. Going down the other side was just as tough. Amazing experience pushing myself past my limit and feeling great!

Difficult to say the least but it was worth it. The views were breath taking. I would recommend walking sticks to stabilize and SPF!! I look like a lobster now