Mt. Baldy via Devil's Backbone Trail

Mt. Baldy via Devil's Backbone Trail is a 12.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Mt Baldy, California that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Taking the 10 - 60- or 210 fwy exit Mountain Ave. and head north. Mountain Ave. turns into Mt. Baldy Road, take this road all the way up to Manker Flats Road, located about 100 yards past Manker Flats campground on the west side on the street.

fun and hard

not hard at all ...

I wrote a review a couple weeks ago and forgot to mention one thing. If you are afraid of the Devil's Backbone and it's holding you back from this hike, you have nothing to worry about in good weather and no snow. I was going to video hiking across Devil's Backbone to post on YouTube, probably because I have no life and nothing better to do. The Devil's Backbone is so innate that I didn't even realize I crossed it until on the other side and looked back. I shit you not. I didn't even know I was crossing. So if you haven't done the hike because your afraid of heights, you have nothing to worry about. Some people like to exaggerate and this is one of the most exaggerated "scary" hikes I have ever been on as it's not scary at all.

Started too late in the day, started at Manker Flats campground area and began on Falls Road and then Baldy Road, continued all the way up to the top of the notch restaurant. Passed the restaurant and continued on the road to devils backbone route, continued hiking up next to the ski lifts with a fence on my left side, went quite up towards the end of the ski lifts in this section around the beginning part of the backbone section, but made a stop at this point. Not because I was done, but because of the late start and it being my first time up here, didn't want to take any chances, as well as the workers at the restaurant said to be cautious by the developing thunder showers. I played it safe, and I have to say it was very disappointing, I stopped and headed back. All in all, what a good hike out and back from this point but by no means any success to the top. I will definitely be back in two weeks, but with a major change in my plans. I will start very early, around 7:30 am, and not later than 8:00 am. Do take lots of water. You will need it.

Great hike, highly recommend it, great scenery. Once you get pass the ski lodge you can either follow up the ski lifts (chair 4) or the trail running parallel (I find this trail slightly more difficult than following the ski lifts).

Devils backbone isn't as bad as most hikers have stated. Just pace yourself and allow your body to adjust to the elevation. Look for symptoms of elevation sickness, dizziness, headache, fatigue on minimal exertion.

Have fun !