Mt. Baden-Powell from Dawson Saddle is a 9.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Valyermo, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

This is a great hike through one of the best places in the Angeles Forest. This is wonderful high country hiking along one of the best sections of the PCT in Southern California. This trail is pretty straightforward, lots of steady up grade to the top, you can venture off on the side peaks as well. Throop and Burnham only add 350 feet in elevation gain and .5 to your mileage. Throop is worthwhile, Burnham is just a bump on the trail, but a must if you are peak bagging. The view from Baden Powell is spectacular, even on a day obscured by fires, or haze. The high country is amazing. You can even choose to follow along the ridgeline the entire way if you wish. One of the most outstanding things about this trail is that you can see where you are going and where you have been along the entire route. In my book, that always exemplifies a great trail.

Great trail with amazing views. The trail head is a little difficult to spot. If you park at the turnout with the Dawson Gap sign, cross the road and it's about 50 ft down (opposite direction from the shed). Look up and you'll see a small single track going up the hill. There is a sign from the boy scouts marking the trail. The trail itself is in good condition and mostly follows the ridge around to Baden Powell. I'd rate it as moderate - there is some incline, but not too difficult. It can be pretty windy/cold when the trail gets to an exposed section of the ridge. Amazing views into the valley and surrounding mountains.

Love this trail! Great for hiking on hot summer days. The pine forest , high elevation, along with scenic vistas are fantastic.

This is a moderate to moderated + trail. The trail splits at one point and iyou can opt for a steeper grade hike for about .5 mile at this point.

There are several trail options at the summit... should you want to extend your hike.

Smooth dirt path with plenty of shade spots the whole trail. Open at the top with amazing views all around.

Took the day off from work to hike on the first day of summer. The trail conditions were really good. Especially loved the fact that I had the trail to myself. Be aware that there are lots of flying bugs this time of year, and the weather is much warmer so make sure to plan accordingly. I can't stress how important keeping oneself hydrated is to the enjoyment of this hike.

Difficult hike. Continuous switchbacks and elevation. You really don't get any sections where you are not at an incline. The trail is easy to follow although it does narrow a few times and I felt a bit uneasy. The closer you get to the top the steeper the sections. The day I hikedbthisbpeak was a beautiful day and could not have asked for better weather. I did however feel the affect big the wind bad I got closer to the summit. My hands especially did get cold and were shaking at one point. I recommend taking cold weather gear with you. At the very least, have it available. I didn't have gloves and I only had a cheap wind breaker jacket. I was pretty miserable at the top and definitely wish I'd taken gloves and a sweater/jacket. The view from the top is spectacular. Bring plenty of water, snacks and cold weather prep even if the conditions don't seem to call for it. This is a difficult hike. I'd recommend training and building up your stamina before attempting so that you could enjoy it. Good luck!!

Started out around 6:15 in the morning and arrived on the summit of Baden Powell at 8am. There were only a few small patches of icy snow and most of them I was able to walk around, I did bring spikes but did not use them. On the decent I came down the West ridge of Baden Powell, up and over Burnham Peak, and up to Throop Peak. There were already a dozen or so people on Throop so I continued down the North ridge a ways stopping for a short break before continuing back down to the trail head. This is a beautiful trail more scenic than the trail up from Vincent Gap with views looking both East and West into the valleys on each side of the ridge. An important note about the actual trail head, it is not the one directly across from the Caltrans shed that popped up here about 10 years ago, it is about 50 yards or so east of there near a culvert just before the bend in the road. Start here and at the first switchback you will see the sign placed by the Boy Scouts.

Awesome hike made more awesome by ice-avoidance. We were told that there was no snow on the mountains, so we did not bring spikes of any sort. The trail on the side of Throop, however, had significant sections of ice on the trail; significant enough that we felt it was dangerous. We chose to power up the hillside to the top of Throop. Wind was a good 35+ mph on the ridge and peaks for most of the hike. If you're going on this hike in the next few weeks, I recommend either bringing crampons are plan to bag Throop and Burnham. Also, if you include these peaks, consider this hard rather than moderate.

This is a well marked and well maintained trail with gentle switchbacks in all the right places. Mostly wooded with plenty of good views along the way and the summit is stunning.

Sunday, October 08, 2017

I added a detour to Mt. Burnham to this route, which is located at around the 3 mile mark. The view is nice, but Baden Powell is better. Unless you're itching to cross off Burnham from your peak list, skip it and go straight to Powell.

Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Spectacular! Lots of shade along the way. Trail offers up and down both ways. Caution we have encountered rattlers three times on this trail

Views are unbelievable. Great mid distance hike

Monday, July 11, 2016

I loved this trail. It was well marked, and had amazing views! Totally worth the time and effort.

Wednesday, June 01, 2016

Woke up early and was on the trail by 0500, I got to the end of the trail in time to see the sunrise. It's a beautiful trail going up and down. This is the perfect spot to catch a fresh breath of air, embrace nature and clear your mind.

Monday, August 03, 2015

I will definitely do this hike again. It is strenuous, and the elevation is high. It is great for conditioning.

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Awesome trail! My favorite so far this year. Beautiful, scenic forest and views the whole way. We did about 9.4 miles total, as we also threw in the short side trip to the summit of Mount Burnham enroute to Baden-Powell. I was definitely a bit sore the next day (I aint proud), but it was well worth the effort. It was an experience not to be soon forgotten.

Wednesday, July 03, 2013

A really good hike with phenomenal views. Some of the most rewarding by far.