Mount Wittenberg Trail

Mount Wittenberg Trail is a 4.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Point Reyes Station, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Hike to the Summit of Mt. Wittenburg (1407') enjoy stunning 360 views from the summit Start from the Bear Valley Visitor Center.

Starting off we decided to do the Mount Wittenberg trail instead of the easier Bear Creek. Well...I'm training for the Lost Coast Trail and only had a 30 pound pack on for the day, so I figured it would be fine...I forgot to take into consideration my new boots! very steep (for me) in spots but generally a lot of elevation gain (for me) in a short amount of milage.
(I'm 56 and have had knee surgeries on both knees and an ankle surgery, I don't hike "up" very much!)
The scenery was...how shall I put this...breathtaking! Seriously, it was beautiful and almost 70 degrees today. My feet didn't start to feel the heel blisters until we were 3/4 of the way up.
We got to the top and decided to go to the summit...no ocean view at all from the top, but the view from the trail signs was nice, so don't go the extra .8 miles out of your way.
We went down the hill on the Ocean side just a little way to the Meadow trail and took it back to meet the Bear Creek Trail. It was a much easier descent that way than going down the way we came! (Might consider taking the Bear Creek Trail to the bridge that marks the Meadow trail and taking it up to the top next time as it was a little less steep, I think)
Took Bear Creek Trail back to the parking lot. All in all about 6 miles and around 1300-1400 feet gained and lost...took about 3 1/2 hours.
The Meadow trail is beautiful, also, but no view of the ocean from it.
Needed less that a liter of water and brought a granola bar and an apple to tide me over until lunch in Point Reyes Station.
Take your time and enjoy! Get out there while you can!

Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Thursday, May 12, 2016

Friday, April 15, 2016

Sunday, October 18, 2015

Wednesday, September 02, 2015

One of my favorites at Pt. Reyes. Take plenty of water and dress in layers. We were there in May and it was cool in the am with the fog, but once it burned off, we got warm. Hiking stick was very helpful for me, not for going up, but down back to the visitor center. The flowers were in full bloom and the trees were as green as could be.

Thursday, April 30, 2015

3-1/2 stars would be more accurate for me. Some great views of both sides of the mountain during the hike, and lots of variation between large growth forest and more exposure with views. But, there were some negatives too. A large portion of the beginning of the hike was pretty straight and bland with no views or variation; it was along a gravel road if I'm remembering correctly. The summit itself was not very climactic, and there is no view to be had as it's flat and surrounded by trees. Still a worthwhile and memorable hike because of the middle sections having beautiful views from both the east and west sides of Wittenberg.

Sunday, April 19, 2015

Thursday, July 11, 2013

This was my first time hiking in Point Reyes and we couldn't decide what trial to do first. While at the Bear visitor center I saw MT. WITTENBERG and figured a mountain top would be pretty good. So we walked from the center a bit toward the MT. WITTENBERG trail. The trail is mostly forested and decently steep at most points. We only saw a few people even though it was a holiday weekend. Once near the end, there is a sign in an open meadow pointing to the "summit" and two other trails. The "summit" was kinda dissapointing as there are a bunch of trees blocking the view. From the meadow, we turned and took the Meadow trail back to the Bear trail and back to the parking lot and visitor center. There also seemed to be a lot of horse use on the Meadow trail and we had to watch out for horse poop; not a big deal.

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Considering that the game has been around for a while, there do seem to be less people playing Castlevania Harmony of Despair

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Absolutely love this trail. Beautiful view of the Point Reyes peninsula on a clear day. Husband proposed to me on top of this mountain. Trail is a constant upward climb but if you take your time and pace yourself you shouldn't have a problem. Trail is well shaded for the most part and can be hiked year round.

Sunday, November 25, 2012