Mount Wittenberg Trail

Mount Wittenberg Trail is a 4.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Point Reyes Station, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Hike to the Summit of Mt. Wittenburg (1407') enjoy stunning 360 views from the summit Start from the Bear Valley Visitor Center.

Did the suggested loop. Cool views from the top over the Lagoons. Nice way to gain height quickly with plenty of trails at the top to make it a bit longer

Couldn't see anything from the top. We made it into a loop using the z trail and then horse trail. It had no shoreline views.

Starting off we decided to do the Mount Wittenberg trail instead of the easier Bear Creek. Well...I'm training for the Lost Coast Trail and only had a 30 pound pack on for the day, so I figured it would be fine...I forgot to take into consideration my new boots! very steep (for me) in spots but generally a lot of elevation gain (for me) in a short amount of milage.
(I'm 56 and have had knee surgeries on both knees and an ankle surgery, I don't hike "up" very much!)
The scenery was...how shall I put this...breathtaking! Seriously, it was beautiful and almost 70 degrees today. My feet didn't start to feel the heel blisters until we were 3/4 of the way up.
We got to the top and decided to go to the summit...no ocean view at all from the top, but the view from the trail signs was nice, so don't go the extra .8 miles out of your way.
We went down the hill on the Ocean side just a little way to the Meadow trail and took it back to meet the Bear Creek Trail. It was a much easier descent that way than going down the way we came! (Might consider taking the Bear Creek Trail to the bridge that marks the Meadow trail and taking it up to the top next time as it was a little less steep, I think)
Took Bear Creek Trail back to the parking lot. All in all about 6 miles and around 1300-1400 feet gained and lost...took about 3 1/2 hours.
The Meadow trail is beautiful, also, but no view of the ocean from it.
Needed less that a liter of water and brought a granola bar and an apple to tide me over until lunch in Point Reyes Station.
Take your time and enjoy! Get out there while you can!

Saturday, September 24, 2016