Mount Wilson Trail

Mount Wilson Trail is a 12.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Sierra Madre, California that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from January until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

210 to Baldwin Avenue. Baldwin north to Mira Monte. Mira Monte east (right) to trailhead located behind historic general store.

Completed this hike in 7 hours. We started at Chantry and tooke the Sturtevant trail to the peak. Great hike and the last three miles to the top we're pretty tough. The view is amazing at the top! Definitely worth the struggle of those switchbacks. The trail down was a bit hard to find but luckily another hiker helped to guide us in the right direction. I'd definitely recommend bringing mosquito nets. These were lifesavers!

This is not Mount Wilson from Chauntry Flats, its Mount Wilson from Sierra Madre to the Observatory then back to Sierra Madre. It's around 7 miles in each direction.

I'm not sure who measured this hike but it's not accurate. If you start at Chantry Flats and hike through Spruce Grove and Struverant Camps, then go back down the same way it is 17 miles. If you do the loop it's closer to 22 miles.
This was my first time hiking past the camps and up to the peak. I went solo with my two dogs.
Wear a bug net and if you're bringing dogs, try to make them wear a net also. I felt so bad my girls had bugs sticking in their eyes. I won't bring them again just because of that.
It's a hard peak, the last 3 miles to the top are brutal switchbacks.
Then the last half mile to the parking lot is pure hell.
We started at 6:30am and got back to the car by 3pm. We took a long break at the top and made a lot of stops going back down as one of my dogs needs to rest more often.
Although it's hard and bugs were gnarly, it still gets 5 stars. I've never understood the people who rate nature with low stars because nature is being nature! Get outside and enjoy the beauty.
Also, LEAVE NO TRACE. This is a heavily trafficked trail and people are littering assholes.

This is a difficult but rewarding hike. Took about 9 hours and 2 liters of water. First mile or so is exposed so get up early. Bugs didn't hit until Orchard Camp but were constant until the parking lot at the top. Orchard Camp to the bench is the worst of the elevation gain so be prepared. Ran into a small snake (non-rattler), couple of deer, and dozens of lizards. Important to remember to keep right on the trail when the Toll Road hits the actual road to stay on Trail. We got lucky as there was a cloud inversion when we hiked it so we got great pictures. Worth the sweat and sore muscles to do it.

This being my first hike to a mountain peak I got to say the trail was strenuous and difficult. My friends and I parked near Mount Wilson Trail park (which does not require an adventure/wilderness pass). The four of us treaded our way up at around 6:30 and reached the summit in four hours. When reaching the half way point at Orchard Camp It's recommended to take a break before kicking yourself into your next gear to climb the next 3-4 miles. My friends and I took about 5 good breaks along the way and they were all helpful in catching our breath and rehydrating. It's also nice just to take a second to see the beautiful scenery along the trail. When you reach the peak there is a water refill station for those who run out early (they also have ice at the cafe which makes your water that much refreshing especially in the summer heat). I myself packed my own lunch but still managed to buy a popsicle at the cafe which tasted like the best popsicle ever at the time. Overall the hike was challenging but filled with breath-taking views of the San Gabriel mountains and the stretch of cities across the San Gabriel Valley. Make sure you take plenty of water, sunscreen, bug spray and snacks/lunch for once you reach the peak!

This trail was challenging. The scenery was beautiful! The café at the top welcoming, we hiked as a group, the other couple finished in 7 hours we were closer to 8.75... Fellow hikers along the trail were calling it treacherous. The first part of the hike up was lovely... the second part I wanted to cry! Coming down was done with ease. Make sure you plan for the mosquitos and wear bug spray. I honestly think I didn't take enough water and had some other personal issues that added to my misery so I am still giving this hike a 5 stars!

This was a challenging trail. It states its 13.5 miles but feels like more. It took us (2) a solid 10 hours, my Fit Bit measured 42,000 steps and 400 flights of stairs. We also encountered a 5 foot rattlesnake and an unheard of amount of flying insects. This said the trail is an extremely beautifully wooded hike with shade 95% of the time. You wind around a stream and gorgeous rocks. There are fantastic old camp style structures so that adds to the enjoyment. At the summit you have food on the weekends and water 365. We seriously underestimated the amount of time it would take us so found the gates at the bottom of the mountain locked and had to contact the local police to come and unlock the gate. I would hike the first 4 miles again and the waterfall along with the ridge loop but would want to try camping and a face net before attempting Mt. Wilson again.