Mount Wilson Trail

Mount Wilson Trail is a 12.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Sierra Madre, California that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from January until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

210 to Baldwin Avenue. Baldwin north to Mira Monte. Mira Monte east (right) to trailhead located behind historic general store.

Very hard. go to first water 1x per week and camp orchard 1x per month. working up to whole hike

Although green & pretty, all of the mosquitos & bugs I encountered made the hike very unpleasant. I counted 22 mosquito bites when I got home. The thousands of lady bugs flying around sturtevant camp were annoying as well. One actually flew in my ear & was stuck in my ear canal for a good 30 min or so. I was lucky it found its way out. I definitely advise a mosquito head net & cotton to put in your ears. It is impossible to stop & rest because the bugs won't leave you alone. I'm glad I marked this peak off my list but I won't be repeating this one.

To celebrate New Years 2017 Shawn and I didn't go out partying and drinking. We decided to stay in (drinking too much wine at home) and tackle our first peak for our Six Pack of Peak Challenges for 2017.
This hike was more than we had thought. 16.6 miles with elevation gain of 4,200. We started at 10:30 am and finished at 6:08 pm. We hiked the last 3 miles with our flashlights. this was one of our most challenging hikes by far and it is suppose to be the easiest of our 6. Needless to say we realized we have some serious training to do to prepare for the next peak.
Today both of us can barely walk, our calves hurt so bad I could not even get a massage, only shoes that I can put on are slippers, flip flops and barely uggs.
It was worth every pain. We laughed our butts off and it was a new adventure we got to share together.
Happy New Years 2017.

Hiked it yesterday.... Rain not bad slightly hard.... Lol

Just love this trail. It's a great workout, and a beautiful trail.

This is a long and beautiful hike to the top of the observatory. We started at Chantry Flats which I suggest doing as it's an easier start to the hike. We had previously hiked to Sturtevant Falls the week before so we avoided it this time. But, if you haven't seen the falls I suggest going, if you don't mind adding a mile to this very long hike. We returned to the trail head via Upper Winter Creek Trail which I find much easier than hitting the asphalt at the end of a very long hike. Trail is beautiful though! But boy does it feel long!

A challenge ! Hiked the whole thing with the Sierra Club and managed to fall asleep in the car for the first time in my life I was so exhausted after. Lots of switchbacks, the view at the top really depends on the smog. Go after a good rain when LA clears up. Really good for training for Baldy and others. A nice escape from the sprawl without driving too far. A must do if you're an Angeleno. But only worth doing once.

A lot of work for not enough reward. First off the hike is closer to 15-16 miles round trip. The parking was miserable on a weekend. Had to park 1.5 miles from the trail head. So get there very early, like 6:00 AM early. Most Blogs claim this is the peak you should start on if you are doing the So Cal Six Pack of Peaks. Personally I found this more difficult that Mt. Baldy due to the length and never ending climb. The summit is anticlimactic with being civilized. However it was amazing having an ice cream sunday at the summit of a difficult hike so that was awesome! When climbing from the east, as this hike promotes, most of the climbing is done in the last few miles which made it difficult. While it did feel great to cross of this beast from the So Cal Six Pack of Peaks challenge, I personally will not be returning to this mountain anytime soon when I find the other mountains in that challenge far more enjoyable.

A never ending trail , the place is full of mosquitos to the point you cannot take a rest because they will not leave alone ! We were able to got to the top but it was too hard of a trail !

I recorded the trail using Gaia GPS , basically following the path. It turns out it has length 15mile. Despite this, it is a good trail. Be aware of the bugs on the winter creek trail. They are quite annoying if you want to have some rest. A head net will be very helpful.