Mount Wilson Trail

Mount Wilson Trail is a 12.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Sierra Madre, California that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from January until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

210 to Baldwin Avenue. Baldwin north to Mira Monte. Mira Monte east (right) to trailhead located behind historic general store.

This trail was challenging. The scenery was beautiful! The café at the top welcoming, we hiked as a group, the other couple finished in 7 hours we were closer to 8.75... Fellow hikers along the trail were calling it treacherous. The first part of the hike up was lovely... the second part I wanted to cry! Coming down was done with ease. Make sure you plan for the mosquitos and wear bug spray. I honestly think I didn't take enough water and had some other personal issues that added to my misery so I am still giving this hike a 5 stars!

This was a challenging trail. It states its 13.5 miles but feels like more. It took us (2) a solid 10 hours, my Fit Bit measured 42,000 steps and 400 flights of stairs. We also encountered a 5 foot rattlesnake and an unheard of amount of flying insects. This said the trail is an extremely beautifully wooded hike with shade 95% of the time. You wind around a stream and gorgeous rocks. There are fantastic old camp style structures so that adds to the enjoyment. At the summit you have food on the weekends and water 365. We seriously underestimated the amount of time it would take us so found the gates at the bottom of the mountain locked and had to contact the local police to come and unlock the gate. I would hike the first 4 miles again and the waterfall along with the ridge loop but would want to try camping and a face net before attempting Mt. Wilson again.

Pretty challenging hike! Took me about 8 hours to complete, I did this hike by myself. I do not recommend doing hike alone. I ran into a full grown snake and a baby snake so be careful where you step. My fitbit calculated to be 16 miles. Also, take plently of water but theres a water fountain at the top by the observatory. I started my hike going towards sturtevant falls. I would say the first 4 miles were pretty easy but miles 5 to 8 were pretty challenging for me. But once I got to the top it was beautiful! Coming down was alot easier. Also, there are a lot of bugs, which was super annoying, so maybe some bug spray or a head net would have really helped. Overall, it was a nice hike the view was great but just felt like a never ending hike.

**Brown Bear mama and Cub siting 7/2/17!!**
Yesterday myself and a group of friends hiked Mt Wilson via the Sierra Madre Trail head as the 1st of the 6-Pack Peaks we are doing. It was an amazing hike with gorgeous views and lots of shade throughout the hike from huge full trees and a well marked trail! The Observatory at the top was nice with a restaurant and bathrooms and a place to refill water bottles and even get ice! We hiked to the peak 7 miles up We headed down 7miles out! We did unfortunately encounter a Brown Bear Mother and her Cub which totally freaked us all out! We backed away slowly and waited until they moved on the higher ground! So please be warned there are Brown Bears! If there is Mama and a Cub there must have been a Papa somewhere as well! Thankfully we did not encounter him! We also ran into a swarm of wasps or something that bit all of us at one time as well as a Bee hive inside of a hollowed out tree! Needless to say we won't be hiking this mountain again and wanted to warn others so hey are prepared for the possibility of Bears because we were not prepared!! Hike this mountain with caution!

Loved it!

It was amazing hike, I get to see the bear..