Mount Wilson Trail

Mount Wilson Trail is a 12.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Sierra Madre, California that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from January until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

210 to Baldwin Avenue. Baldwin north to Mira Monte. Mira Monte east (right) to trailhead located behind historic general store.

15 mile hike up to Mt. Wilson via Lower Winter creek and Mt. Zion. Returned via Upper Winter creek. Nice day but hot in the sun near the end. Best part was finally getting a pic of a Bobcat, seen 4 total but this was the first one I was actually able to get a pic of.

arrived at 7:15 on Saturday morning and entire parking lot was full so we had to park .5 miles away from the trail head at chantry flats along the street (adventure pass is required even for street parking $5). entire hike took us 15 miles including putzing around at the summit and the observatory as well as the trek back to the car. hike is mostly shaded but I still recommend a hat and sun protection. hike is definitely not a beginners hike. my friends and I are completing the 6 pack of peaks challenge and this hike has been our third summit of the series. we got back to the car at 4:30 so entire hike plus one hour eating lunch and smoking a bowl at the summit made it a 9 hour mission. I recommend bringing 2-3 liters of water and snacks because this is an ALL day trek :)

Beautiful hike, it was #dingsontribe 's first time on this trail and the beginning to our 6 pack challenge, turned out to be one of our favorite hikes so far! It's crowded, and I see why, absolutely beautiful hike. We dipped in the fresh stream, because of the rains the streams and falls are flowing strong. We have been used to hiking in blizzards and snow, and we found this mountain to be very warm. I didn't need to put my jacket on all evening. I found parts of the Sturtevant section very difficult as a person afraid of heights. Sections of that trail is extremely narrow and the drop immediate and steep. Ugh. We completed this hike with 2 of our trail doggies, even the narrow sections at Sturtvant was fine for them. One thing to pay attention to, in addition to the Adventure pass and getting there early because parking fills fast, the road closes at 8p. We took our sweet time to enjoy the mountain and started heading down the road to exit the mountain entrance and the gate was locked! We had to call the police station, whom both the dispatcher and officer were very nice, and wait for 30 mins for the gate to be unlocked. A minor inconvenience, but when you're tired it sucks. They come to the gate every hour, so just be aware of that. Don't forget to try and find the Mt. Wilson wood sign on top, somewhere on the observatory grounds and snap a picture, a camper told us we had to otherwise it didn't count. ha! by luck we did. Happy hiking!

Nice Hike, mostly in shade, today was mostly Kool about 60 to 70 maybe a little Kooler at top

Nice day started at 630 finished about 2 pm

Lost big toe nail going down hill. Really beautiful hike.

one of my favorite hikes in LA. the start of the trail takes you through green terrain with a creek and a few waterfalls. then the intensity kicks in with the multiple switchbacks but once you’re at the top and take in the views above the clouds you’ll feel one with nature and soak in your accomplishment. Then it’s back down through a parking lot and to the beginning. I also love it because it’s a loop. Enjoy. Bring lots of water and snack. You need to make sure you have an adventure pass.

Fun hike. The cool weather helped us keep a brisk pace, completing the loop in 7 1/2 hours. Disappointed that there wasn't much snow, which was only at the top. Winter Creek was pretty full though, which we crossed 6 times. The mule deer enjoyed watching us trek by.

best hike I've been on so far beautiful scenery

Did the loop but ended up adding the the Rim Trail so total distance was 17.6 miles of hiking. Definitely would do it again since I felt it’s good training for the distance aspect,since elevation wasn’t much of a factor. Definitely recommend it since it’s a good training hike.

Pleasant hike. Went on a Tuesday so very little traffic.

Waterfall is nice, trail in good condition.

Downside is that you are ascending up a mountain and get very few views. You are enveloped by trees entire time. Not horrible just not what I would hope for

Did this trail Jan 26 by myself. Started around 6:30, finished around 1:30 with an hour break at the Observatory. Trail is nice and dense with woods with some streams to cross over. Suggest going up the eastern route to the peak and down the western route. Bring layered clothing as it can get quite cold in the wooded areas. No bugs to deal with in the winter

Freezing on the summit. Actually, the whole way up and down too. But really nice hike- in the trees the whole time. 1st half of ascent was easy, 2nd half was pretty tough. Bizarre summit with the telescopes. Easy but long descent. Overall, outstanding trail.

Solid hike. Weird parking lot at the top. Start early (before 6:30am) on weekends because the crowds descend fast. Was never overwhelmed or taken to my edge but instead consistently fed a beautiful trail with great views.

trail is challenging but quite scenic and rewarding.

Ditto on difficulty left and caution on location of trail expressed by others.

It is a great hike, but definitely not for beginners. Prepare to invest a full day completing it and heed the warnings on the parking at Chantry Flat. I arrived just a few minutes past 6 and it was already getting close to capacity.

Please be aware that the trail starts in the woods in a not so obvious location, as you walk towards the falls and much before reaching the falls the trail is on the left hand side below a small hut/post but it starts off to the right of the sign. One strenuous hike, starts off easy-moderate but increases difficulty after you pass the “swing” at the camp. Being in the forest for most of the hike it protects you from the elements. Hiking poles would help some.

Buggy, but really fun and challenging. The map is showing from Chantry flats, but the text is indicating Sierra madre start.

Very good hike, just not in love with the structures on top.

Super pleasant hike. Covered by trees a large part of the time!

Lovely morning hike up to first water.
Trail is in good shape after the rain, and there is indeed water running at first water.
Nice to see so many smiling faces and people enjoying the trail

Sturtesvant trail to summit, winter creek trail down. Very persistent uphill in woods. No Mountain View’s until about 6 miles in, but then those views were amazing. I probably wouldn’t choose to do this hike over Baldy since I prefer the views, but it was nice to have this climb at a lower elevation.

Great hike with nice elevation gain. The winter trail on the way back is unfortunately not as scenic.

Great views!!!

nice and beautiful

Had a good time hiking this trail. This was probably one of the hardest trails I've hiked due to the distance. But it was well worth it to see the views.

Great hike! I would do it again. The forest here is beautiful. It's a big contrast to the city just a few minutes away. Like everyone else says some areas have lots of bugs. Head nets and Off spray were helpful. Make sure to bring shoes with good tread and hiking poles. The walk down can be slippery because of all the acorns on the trail. There are pit toilets on the way up at one of the camps. At Sturtevant Camp the water fountain was on for us to top off on water. At top there are also toilets and water fountain. However, on the way down there is nothing until you get back to Chandry Flat. It took us 8 hours including breaks to complete.

one of my favs

Completed this hike in 7 hours. We started at Chantry and tooke the Sturtevant trail to the peak. Great hike and the last three miles to the top we're pretty tough. The view is amazing at the top! Definitely worth the struggle of those switchbacks. The trail down was a bit hard to find but luckily another hiker helped to guide us in the right direction. I'd definitely recommend bringing mosquito nets. These were lifesavers!

This is not Mount Wilson from Chauntry Flats, its Mount Wilson from Sierra Madre to the Observatory then back to Sierra Madre. It's around 7 miles in each direction.