Mount Wilson Loop via Chantry Flats

Mount Wilson Loop via Chantry Flats is a 12 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Sierra Madre, California that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

These trails are gorgeous. However, they are also home to thick swarms of gnats, biting flies and mosquitoes. DEET, long sleeves , gloves, pants and head nets if you plan on going to the summit. The final leg has little shade and no streams to refill water until you get to the Observatories at the summit.

Great hike! Bug repellent was definitely not enough for the amount of bugs you will encounter. The hike up is mostly shaded, and pretty easy to follow with great signs leading the way. The last 2 miles or so of switchbacks were definitely a killer, but aside from that, the hike was pretty doable. We took the old toll road down and there wasn't many shaded areas so a hat and sunscreen are highly recommended. If you have bad knees or bad ankles, trekking pole will help greatly. There is a little cafe at the summit which is only open on the weekends. And there are bathrooms and places to fill your water on top. Get there early to get a good parking spot!

Beautiful hike, but horrible bugs!

These trails are the prettiest in the L.A. National Forrest. However, they are also home to some of the thickest swarms of gnats, biting flies and mosquitoes I've experienced in California. DEET will NOT protect you. Long sleeves , gloves, pants and head nets if you plan on going to the summit. Or, do what I did, and just wave your arms all the way to the top like a lunatic. The final leg has little shade and no streams to refill water until you get to the Observatories at the summit.

I did this trail as an out-and-back from Chantry Flat to Mt. Wilson instead of a loop as described on this page. The total mileage ended up being around around 16 with 4000+ feet elevation gain (including the distance from the trailhead to my car). It was very crowded at Chantry, so I had to park about a mile down from the trailhead. The total mileage would've been around 14 miles had I parked closer.

Did this on Memorial day. Tons of people there but it died down the further we got into the hike.We arrived before 7:30 am and had to park about .5 mile from the lot. We started the hike at 8 am and ended at 1:30 pm. The bugs on the way up were annoying. I suggest bug spray as I ended up with over 40 mosquito bites. We also encountered a rattle snake on our descent from the top. Other than that, great workout with amazing views from the top.

mostly easy for moderate hiker

Switch backs after Sturrvent Camp are KILLER; highly recommend bringing a bug net for your face, too. We did see a donkey delivering a package from amazon, lol. Took us about 8 hours, but we went to hermit falls & stopped at sturrvent falls too

The worse part about this hike is beating the masses to parking at Chantry Flats. I arrived at the parking area at 5:50am after having unsuccessfully trying to park there at 7am a few weeks ago. The weather was perfect for the day and I never got hot as most of the hike is done in the shade. The first few miles are quite pleasant, meandering along a nicely forest stream. I took the detour to the Sturtevant Falls which was defintely worth the extra 20-30 minutes. The ascent was difficult for the middle 2 or 3 miles but defintely manageable. Unfortunately there was a lot of cloud coverage when I went so I couldn't look out over LA but it was cool trekking above the clouds. The only time I wish I had poles was on the descent to take some pressure off my knees. Otherwise keep on the look out for mountain bikers and keep hydrated and you should be fine. I was back at my car at 2:15pm and was practically being shooed away for someone else to take my spot. But besides the crowds, it was a great way to start of my 6 pack.

A friend and I did this on 4/30 as the first peak in the 6 peak challenge. We left at about 9:30am and went up the westerly route; somehow managed to overshoot the top and clocked in at 14.4 miles about 7.5 hours later. The bugs were horrible, but we brought lavender oil which, with repeated applications kept them at bay. This was a fun hike, filled with varied terrain and views. As everyone notes, the peak isn't terribly interesting, but there were some nice large rocks for a lunchtime sit.