Mount Wilson Loop via Chantry Flats

Mount Wilson Loop via Chantry Flats is a 12 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Sierra Madre, California that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

These trails are gorgeous. However, they are also home to thick swarms of gnats, biting flies and mosquitoes. DEET, long sleeves , gloves, pants and head nets if you plan on going to the summit. The final leg has little shade and no streams to refill water until you get to the Observatories at the summit.

great hike! perfect way to spend Thanksgining. although we were going to try to make it up to Zion, luckily a fellow hiker told us the sign located near the campground is wrong it says it is only 1.5 miles more. Really is 3 to 4 miles more, glad we asked.

Rosa was visiting her family so I took our 8 year old son who had some difficulty but the snack bar at the top was worth it.

Be mindful that the directions for this trail lead you to the peak of Mt Wilson, meaning you hike down the mountain first, then back up. Also, the trailhead can only be accessed after 10 am, it's behind a locked gate until then, with no access. The views are beautiful and it's cool to see the equipment up on the mountain, the amount of flies ruined the hike for me.

Very strenuous hike but beautiful and serene. I took the Chantry Flats loop but took a side trail to Switzer falls before heading to Mt Wilson using the upper trail. This was a very challenging hike given the steepness & elevation change. Hiking poles a definite must have. I thought I packed enough water but consumed every bit of the two liters with another half mile to get to the top. The elevation change was a major factor as I was affected with altitude sickness which caused me to drink more water in order to avoid dehydration. I began feelings leg & ankle cramps by the time I reached the top. After a much needed break & late lunch I made sure to consume/pack excess water for the trek down. I strongly recommend packing at least three liters of water to ensure staying hydrated. Next time I'll try the lower trail but will definitely be more prepared with at least three liters of water. Also be advised, the mosquitos & gnats are relentless, you will be under attack the entire length of the trail. Strongly encourage long sleeves, full pants, head/face net and/or bring some deet or Off to spray over your clothing if nothing else. Otherwise it will not be a fun trip. Happy trails.

Great hike! Lots a varied terrain and foliage. Great views as you get to the top. A lot of shade helps the temps, though it covers views as you head up, but I'll take that trade! Saw several deer at Spruce Grove camp. It was way too hot (90+) when I went, but otherwise is a manageable hike. No joke about the bugs. Bring a head net and forget worrying about how it looks. I gave five stars for doing this when it's NOT 95 degrees.

The bugs really took away from the fun of the hike. Enjoyed the first and last few miles along the creek. Bugs started about 3 miles in once the trail leaves the creek.

Bugs and flies were unrelenting today. Beautiful sweeping views! The trail seemed to take forever in the summer heat. Bring lots of water, bug spray and sunscreen.

Hike was great except for the bugs! We fought swarming gnatlike bugs all day. Insect repellent had no effect, as bugs would not land or bite. They just swarmed around your face constantly. At times a face net would have been great.

After an attempt to summit here in March that had to be cut short, we decided to start early and give it a full go. We went counterclockwise, and got a treat of the stream and falls on the way up. I enjoyed the telescopes at the top, as well as logging benchmarks and finding some geocaches. Then the hike down the familiar route taken in March got us back with plenty of daylight to spare.

This is a challenging hike and the day we did it was the hottest day in So Cal this year. The amount of bugs on the way up were insane. There was a good 3 miles of continuously swatting them away from my face. We only stopped once about 4 miles in and only for a couple minutes because we didn't want to get slaughtered by the bugs. Very cool streams and waterfalls and the hike is shaded by trees the whole time. I'm glad I did it but felt reaching the top was uninspiring. This one was more like a exercise in self torture with no great views at the top. Definately go in cooler weather.

Great hike! Bug repellent was definitely not enough for the amount of bugs you will encounter. The hike up is mostly shaded, and pretty easy to follow with great signs leading the way. The last 2 miles or so of switchbacks were definitely a killer, but aside from that, the hike was pretty doable. We took the old toll road down and there wasn't many shaded areas so a hat and sunscreen are highly recommended. If you have bad knees or bad ankles, trekking pole will help greatly. There is a little cafe at the summit which is only open on the weekends. And there are bathrooms and places to fill your water on top. Get there early to get a good parking spot!

No parking at the trailhead by 6:50, had to park 0.8 mi down the road. Lower part of the trail was packed, but closer to the summit there weren't many people. Got eaten alive by bugs (20 bites on one leg, through leggings), and it didn't seem like it was just mosquitos, someone mentioned that there are horseflies in June. Cafe at the top had good food, but staying at the top for an hour definitely made the hike feel dragged out. The loop I did (approach from the east, descent along the west) kept us in the shade for a good portion of the hike, especially on the ascent.

I remember doing this hike maybe four years ago and being eaten alive by bugs and then deciding to never do it again. I had forgotten just how bad it was, and I did it as the first of the six-pack series this year. The views were gorgeous but I probably will opt to not hike it again for another four years, since I prefer hiking at elevation to big bites.

Beautiful hike, but horrible bugs!

These trails are the prettiest in the L.A. National Forrest. However, they are also home to some of the thickest swarms of gnats, biting flies and mosquitoes I've experienced in California. DEET will NOT protect you. Long sleeves , gloves, pants and head nets if you plan on going to the summit. Or, do what I did, and just wave your arms all the way to the top like a lunatic. The final leg has little shade and no streams to refill water until you get to the Observatories at the summit.

I did this trail as an out-and-back from Chantry Flat to Mt. Wilson instead of a loop as described on this page. The total mileage ended up being around around 16 with 4000+ feet elevation gain (including the distance from the trailhead to my car). It was very crowded at Chantry, so I had to park about a mile down from the trailhead. The total mileage would've been around 14 miles had I parked closer.

Did this on Memorial day. Tons of people there but it died down the further we got into the hike.We arrived before 7:30 am and had to park about .5 mile from the lot. We started the hike at 8 am and ended at 1:30 pm. The bugs on the way up were annoying. I suggest bug spray as I ended up with over 40 mosquito bites. We also encountered a rattle snake on our descent from the top. Other than that, great workout with amazing views from the top.

mostly easy for moderate hiker

Switch backs after Sturrvent Camp are KILLER; highly recommend bringing a bug net for your face, too. We did see a donkey delivering a package from amazon, lol. Took us about 8 hours, but we went to hermit falls & stopped at sturrvent falls too

The worse part about this hike is beating the masses to parking at Chantry Flats. I arrived at the parking area at 5:50am after having unsuccessfully trying to park there at 7am a few weeks ago. The weather was perfect for the day and I never got hot as most of the hike is done in the shade. The first few miles are quite pleasant, meandering along a nicely forest stream. I took the detour to the Sturtevant Falls which was defintely worth the extra 20-30 minutes. The ascent was difficult for the middle 2 or 3 miles but defintely manageable. Unfortunately there was a lot of cloud coverage when I went so I couldn't look out over LA but it was cool trekking above the clouds. The only time I wish I had poles was on the descent to take some pressure off my knees. Otherwise keep on the look out for mountain bikers and keep hydrated and you should be fine. I was back at my car at 2:15pm and was practically being shooed away for someone else to take my spot. But besides the crowds, it was a great way to start of my 6 pack.

A friend and I did this on 4/30 as the first peak in the 6 peak challenge. We left at about 9:30am and went up the westerly route; somehow managed to overshoot the top and clocked in at 14.4 miles about 7.5 hours later. The bugs were horrible, but we brought lavender oil which, with repeated applications kept them at bay. This was a fun hike, filled with varied terrain and views. As everyone notes, the peak isn't terribly interesting, but there were some nice large rocks for a lunchtime sit.