Mount Wilson Loop via Chantry Flats

Mount Wilson Loop via Chantry Flats is a 12 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Sierra Madre, California that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

These trails are gorgeous. However, they are also home to thick swarms of gnats, biting flies and mosquitoes. DEET, long sleeves , gloves, pants and head nets if you plan on going to the summit. The final leg has little shade and no streams to refill water until you get to the Observatories at the summit.

Be mindful that the directions for this trail lead you to the peak of Mt Wilson, meaning you hike down the mountain first, then back up. Also, the trailhead can only be accessed after 10 am, it's behind a locked gate until then, with no access. The views are beautiful and it's cool to see the equipment up on the mountain, the amount of flies ruined the hike for me.

Very strenuous hike but beautiful and serene. I took the Chantry Flats loop but took a side trail to Switzer falls before heading to Mt Wilson using the upper trail. This was a very challenging hike given the steepness & elevation change. Hiking poles a definite must have. I thought I packed enough water but consumed every bit of the two liters with another half mile to get to the top. The elevation change was a major factor as I was affected with altitude sickness which caused me to drink more water in order to avoid dehydration. I began feelings leg & ankle cramps by the time I reached the top. After a much needed break & late lunch I made sure to consume/pack excess water for the trek down. I strongly recommend packing at least three liters of water to ensure staying hydrated. Next time I'll try the lower trail but will definitely be more prepared with at least three liters of water. Also be advised, the mosquitos & gnats are relentless, you will be under attack the entire length of the trail. Strongly encourage long sleeves, full pants, head/face net and/or bring some deet or Off to spray over your clothing if nothing else. Otherwise it will not be a fun trip. Happy trails.

Great hike! Lots a varied terrain and foliage. Great views as you get to the top. A lot of shade helps the temps, though it covers views as you head up, but I'll take that trade! Saw several deer at Spruce Grove camp. It was way too hot (90+) when I went, but otherwise is a manageable hike. No joke about the bugs. Bring a head net and forget worrying about how it looks. I gave five stars for doing this when it's NOT 95 degrees.

The bugs really took away from the fun of the hike. Enjoyed the first and last few miles along the creek. Bugs started about 3 miles in once the trail leaves the creek.

Bugs and flies were unrelenting today. Beautiful sweeping views! The trail seemed to take forever in the summer heat. Bring lots of water, bug spray and sunscreen.

Hike was great except for the bugs! We fought swarming gnatlike bugs all day. Insect repellent had no effect, as bugs would not land or bite. They just swarmed around your face constantly. At times a face net would have been great.

After an attempt to summit here in March that had to be cut short, we decided to start early and give it a full go. We went counterclockwise, and got a treat of the stream and falls on the way up. I enjoyed the telescopes at the top, as well as logging benchmarks and finding some geocaches. Then the hike down the familiar route taken in March got us back with plenty of daylight to spare.

This is a challenging hike and the day we did it was the hottest day in So Cal this year. The amount of bugs on the way up were insane. There was a good 3 miles of continuously swatting them away from my face. We only stopped once about 4 miles in and only for a couple minutes because we didn't want to get slaughtered by the bugs. Very cool streams and waterfalls and the hike is shaded by trees the whole time. I'm glad I did it but felt reaching the top was uninspiring. This one was more like a exercise in self torture with no great views at the top. Definately go in cooler weather.