Mount Whitney Mountaineer's Route

Mount Whitney Mountaineer's Route is a 7.9 mile out and back trail located near Whitney Portal, California that offers scenic views. The trail is only recommended for very experienced adventurers and primarily used for hiking and rock climbing.

rock climbing

Much more enjoyable way to summit Whitney. It involves some simple route finding, since you need to start super early in the morning (if doing it as a day hike) and there's no single maintained trail to get there, but they all generally lead to the same place. If you're doing the mountaineer's route I'm sure you'll be gathering beta from much more informative sources so I won't go into that here. I'll just talk about the trail condition. There was still enough snow in the chute to take it almost all the way to the notch. We opted for the class 2 traverse once at the notch and it was OK. Had to avoid some ice, which made for some careful scrambling, but once past it was pretty easy getting up to the plateau. We took the main trail down - instead of returning the way we came - which is always a mind-numbing grind.

awesome!