Learn more

Mount Umunhum Trail via Woods Trail is a 16 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near New Almaden, California that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, nature trips, and mountain biking.

Length 16.0 mi Elevation gain 2,933 ft Route type Out & Back

Photos (1231)
Recordings (162)
Completed (302)
Boyd Alder
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 14, 2020

Great trail. Steep in sections but very comfortable slop during last 4 miles

Nate Konsitzke
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 25, 2020
View Nate's Recording
Us & G Dom
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 23, 2020
Hiking

What a blast. Wildlife galore on the trail Skunk, CA King Mountain Snake and a huge turkey vulture all on the trail.

View Us & G's Recording
Amritesh Singh
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 21, 2020
Hiking

It was great trail with long distance having good shaded, trail is longer than 16 miles as recorded 17.5 miles for me, recommended to keep 2-3 littles water, we ran out off water but over all hike was nice

Subbu V
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 14, 2020
Hiking

good long hike. moderate with not many challenges. lot of wild flowers and deer. start early to avoid traffic and heat. after 12 the heat level picks up and can be tiring for some. carry lots of water, recommend at least 2 to 3 liters.

AllTrails User
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 13, 2020
Hiking

More shades than not, could be hot in the summer. I hiked on a cloudy day and it is beautiful. Bring enough water as no fountain anywhere.

James Clifton
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 12, 2020
Hiking

I would say Moderate compared to Sizer, Diablo, and Tamalpais. Start early, and there is plenty of shade. As of May 11th, there was 4 streams that were still flowing. Bring a filter if you don't have enough carrying capicity for water. We didn't see any water spouts or areas to fill up your water bottles. I brought 4.5 L, and used almost 3.5L I would have used all of it, if it didn't cool down. We got lucky because it started to rain. Its not veryb hard on the knees either. I would recommend this trail and plan on hiking it again, real soon!!!

Stefan V.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarApril 11, 2020
View Stefan's Recording
Julie Fuller
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarApril 4, 2020
Hiking

From Hicks to Summit. The gates to Sierra Azul Preserve are to open at 0700, but they didn’t open until 0706. There are only a few parking slots there so get there early. I started the hike at 0723 reached the summit at 1041 and was back in my car by 1352. The Wood Trail was 95% shaded in the morning and was quite peaceful and quite. Saw 4 deer and several other woodland creatures. Baldwin Road Trail kicks your heart rate up a couple notches. The first 1/4 mile has quite the nice kicker. This trail had a couple of rockslides and bigger rocks to trip on. Watch your footing. Saw 4 or 5 more deer on this trail. Once you reach the junction for the Ununhum summit and Bald MTN parking lot trails it gets busier. This was a lovely trail with about a dozen switchbacks. Great trail for kids to get to the summit. Double track. The return route was more exposed to the sun as it was directly overhead. I took 2.5L and had drank almost 2L. The 16.6 miles was at my top limit and I was definitely ready to be done after 14 miles. Great views and wildlife viewing. BTW there are about 30 stairs to get to the summit and they are doing construction to observatory so it’s roped off.

Rick Flores
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 29, 2020
Hiking

3/27/2020 First time hiking from Hicks Rd to Umimnum we started at 7:30 AM were back at Hicks road by 2:45 PM. It was a decent hike from Barlow to switch backs. Great trail with nice views from top.

Dan O'Leary
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 5, 2020
Hiking

Trail is in excellent condition in January 2019. Grab a trail map at the parking lot. I Started at 8am, was at the summit by 11am. Tacked on Bald Mountain to add another 2 miles. Took a few short breaks and was in the car by 3pm. The only tough section was the 2.5 miles up Bernal to Bald Mountain parking lot. That is where the bulk up the elevation is. I did probably 2 miles total as a trail run, it was hard not to at points, you’ll see. It’s just makes you want to run! No water at all on the trail so pack what you’ll need. I took 2 liters and had about 16oz to spare at the end of the hike. Some bikers, with hikers and runners on the trail.

Joy Robles
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 2, 2019
HikingRocky

Easy trail to follow, simple up and back down with lots of climb and switchbacks. Nicely shaded trailed shared amongst Mountain bikers, trail runners and hikers alike. The hike was 7.7 miles in total. We started at 8:20 and finished by 2:30. Driving there was pretty simple as well, small parking lot with porter potty at the lot.

View Joy's Recording
Nathan Tsang
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarNovember 2, 2019
Hiking

We started the hike at the parking lot at Wood Road at 8:30 AM, followed the Woods Trail, Barlow Road, and Mount Mount Umunhum Trail all the way to the summit and back. We took a lunch break at the picnic table near the summit parking lot. We were back at the Wood Road at 2:30 PM. I tracked the hike using AllTrails: Total distance was 16.5 miles with elevation gain 2900'; the average pace was 19:37 per mile. The weather was sunny and cool. We rated the hike was moderated. The trails conditions were good but bit crowed and sharing with mountain biking and running.

Kelly Lowry
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 15, 2019
View Kelly's Recording
Junseok Yang
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 10, 2019
View Junseok's Recording
Matt R
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 3, 2019
Hiking

You’re probably thinking - 16 miles, almost 3000 ft of elevation - how is this moderate? And you’re not wrong, on paper it seems like a hard hike. But the elevation is gradual and I found myself doing more trail running than hiking, finishing in about 4 hours. And the trail is mostly shaded, unlike some of the other prominent peak trails in the Bay Area (Diablo, Mission), so I think that makes it easier. I tacked on the trail over to Bald Mountain on my way back down. It adds about 2 miles and a couple hundred feet of climbing, which ensures you’ll be over 3000 ft for the whole hike. That trail isn’t shaded at all (hence the name), so I didn’t really care for it. I did find the USGS marker though. This hike put me over 400k ft. lifetime elevation on All Trails!

View Matt's Recording
Nicola Onose
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 3, 2019
HikingBugs

It was a total of 16.5 miles, and the Bernal Rd portion was fairly steep, so how challenging it is may depend on your fitness level and target pace. It took me almost six hours, including two long breaks, so probably about five hours of hiking. The shade is nice, but it is also more humid than most places around here, so be prepared for lots of bugs and mosquitoes.

View Nicola's Recording
Alice Tan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 16, 2019
Hiking

Hiked this twice in recent months, once in Feb and once in March. This is an amazing trail. There has been a lot of rain recently, so everything was green. Many parts are shaded and the weather recently has been perfect. I find the hike down a little steep at times. Trail is in good condition, and also used as equestrian trail. Recorded 16.1 from the parking lot.

View Alice's Recording
Jenni Buchanan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMarch 9, 2019
HikingMuddySnow

We knew when we planned this hike that there would be rain and we were ready. Started out at about 8:30 am and the weather was fine — chilly, but not even sprinkling. The trail was well maintained, the waterways were still plenty full and beautiful to cross. By the time we arrived at the Guadalupe Creek Overlook the clouds were starting to roll in. The view wasn't yet completely obscured, but we couldn't see as far as one normally would. Not even a mile further up and we started to get some flakes of snow. As we climbed the snow got gradually heavier until by the time we summited the top the flurries were so heavy that we couldn't see the cube until we were practically right next to it! Forget the views, we'll have to go back another day for those! We had brought some sandwiches to eat at the top, but once we stopped hiking it was so wet and cold that none of us wanted to stay still long enough to eat. So we took a short bathroom and snack break (thank goodness for the maintained restrooms!) and headed back down. About halfway down the trail, the snow turned to rain. As I said at the top, we had been prepared for rain, but we weren't prepared for just how cold it was. By the time we got back to the parking lot we were all shivering drowned rats!

Julian Vandersteen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 12, 2019
Hiking

Only real difficult part of this hike is the first leg of Barlow Road from the Woods Trail. For the most part this is a very nice, steady hike. 360 degree views from the Umunhum Summit. San Francisco, Oakland, Santa Cruz and Scott’s valley are all visible on a clear day.

View Julian 's Recording
Toby B
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 10, 2019
Hiking

5 stars for the Mt. Umunhum trail alone, it really is just so beautiful and well-built. Definitely worth the wait for it to open. This forest is so healthy and diverse! I love it especially in the winter and spring, when the weather is cooler and the wildflowers emerge. The rest of this park is well-maintained fire roads; this route is probably my favorite in the preserve for hiking and running. It certainly doesn’t feel like 16 miles, though Barlow Flat is a bit of a butt-kicker. It was freezing at the summit in the winter; wear layers! When you come down from Umunhum, cross the street to the other parking lot and check out Bald peak, I think it’s worth it and only adds ~2 miles to your trip.

Michael Oxford
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 21, 2019
Running

1/20/19 I had this trail tracked at 15.3 miles using Strava. 15.7 actually, but I ran over to Quicksilver for a little extra punishment. From the lot at Mt. Umunhum Rd. and Hicks: Woods Trail to Barlow Road (Left), to Mt. Umunhum trail (Right). Take the trail all the way up to Mt. Umunhum road. Take the road to the top and loop back down the stairs. 15.3 miles total. 3 hours, 4 minutes. 3900 feet of gain. Not fast but done! It was a great run in the mist, and it only got more dense as I climbed. Barlow Road is a butt kicker, but the rest is cake. There was a pretty nasty land slide completely burying a section of Barlow Road. The creeks were extremely active which was beautiful. There was a family of deer I saw on the way out, and on the way back, in the same spot. They were way faster than me. Amazing views. Well groomed trails - considering the weather. It always amazes me how green our golden hills get when it rains. Extremely gratifying when you reach the top. I highly recommend this run to any trail runner that is at the half marathon level or more. You’ll have a blast. Go get after it!

Eric Forster
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 6, 2018

Fun & challenging mt. Bike ride from Hicks parking lot. About 1.5 mi. Of very steep section in the middle. The last 3.5 miles are very nice.

Dexter D'Sa
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 23, 2018
Hiking

For a shorter hike to the peak park at the Bald Mountain Trailhead. Most of the trail from here is on a inclination but is shady. We started our hike at 3pm on a hot day and it was stilla great hike! Next time we'd start with

James Brown
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 21, 2018

Went on a Saturday at 8am. Woods and Barlow were pretty quiet, but Umunhum was pretty busy. Great long hike with a great view at the summit.

Mickey Toth
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 16, 2018
First to Review

After conquering the trail from the Bald Mountain parking lot, we decided to go for the full beans and hike the 16 miles from the lower parking lot. Overall, not a bad hike. We left at 7am and got back to our car at 12:40 or so. The first half of the trail is nice and steep. Most people don’t take this route so it’s pleasantly quiet and unpopulated. You end up merging with the Bald Mountain trail and finish the ascent using that same route. Lots of interesting wildlife: foxes, snakes, butterflies, birds, and deer. The hike is mostly covered so you don’t have to endure the full strength of the sun on this trail

glo cordova
Gray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 2, 2020
View glo's Recording
Nickii Le
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 1, 2020
View Nickii's Recording
Boyd Alder
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 29, 2020