Mount Tom Fire Lookout OHV Trail

Mount Tom Fire Lookout OHV Trail is a 5.4 mile out and back trail located near Mono Hot Springs, California that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for off road driving and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 5.4 miles Elevation Gain: 1,089 feet Route Type: Out & Back

ohv / off road driving

historic site

Narrow and steep road, 4-wheel drive highly recommended. The Mount Tom Fire Lookout is closed during the winter months due to heavy snow. However, the general public can access the tower and surrounding area during the summer when the tower is open for service. Visitors should request access from the lookout person.

off road driving

I Went trail running on this trail with an ATV, it took me about 15-20 minutes to get to the top where the fire look out station is! beautiful views throughout the whole trail! i would definitely hike this trail next time, it is a bit rocky going through and back. 4x4 is needed to get to the top if your driving a vehicle or truck, other than that any OHV will make it to the top!

scenic driving

Drove up here yesterday. 360° of beautiful scenery!

Sunday, August 20, 2017

Its really a beautiful hike. We.could have driven to the top but choose to walk up the forest road. Next time we will take camping gear and stay a few days. There is so much to see on this drive into the mountains

Tuesday, September 13, 2016

A little smoke from a few fires but I'll be back for a better view with clear skies

Sunday, June 08, 2014

did this trail in 2 wheel drive with my family back in 2007. the view from the top is great. very dusty and watch for snakes.

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

The road was closed so we jumped the fence and walked at dusk to view the super moon it was awesome we drank some wine to toast the moon and hung around until 10 pm. I found the peak marker on the rocks south of the tower.

Thursday, July 19, 2012

A pretty nerve-wracking drive up. Not impossible, but I used 4H to avoid slipping on some of the steep hills. I probably could have made it without 4wd. There is almost no way for two vehicles to pass each other in most sections so extreme caution should be used; watch for other vehicles. We were lucky enough to not encounter anyone else up or down. Its pretty far back in the mountains so I don't think it gets much traffic. The view from the top is breathtaking. Every much worth the drive.

Saturday, August 04, 2018