Mount Thom and Tongva Peak Loop

Mount Thom and Tongva Peak Loop is a 7.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Burbank, California that features beautiful wild flowers. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking and nature trips. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Perhaps one of the toughest hikes in the San Fernando Valley, this trail can be used as a training course for harder hikes (such as Mt. Whitney or Cactus-to-Clouds). The sharp elevation gain is recommended only for experienced hikers. For those who endure the challenge, you will be rewarded with some of the best views in the valley. Be sure to bring plenty of water...and even more willpower.

The best hike I’ve been too! Definitely one of the toughest. Beautiful views! Very incline hike in the beginning. Once you reach the peak, it’s all worth it. Great workout! I totally recommend it to any hike lovers. I took my dog and she also loved it.

Very steep incline the whole way to the top. Takes you to a radio tower with a graffiti boulder at the edge. Most difficult hike I've been on so far

Did this bad ass hike, and it was a challenge, oh ya. Be in good shape do this awesome steep incline to the top and then flat across one pole to the other, and then crazy steep decline to the end. I went on a very hot day, and started at around 9:15 am, and I was in the middle of this hike when things got a bit crazy. It was really hot and I felt that heat. Made it back down in 1 piece, but the sun really did a number on me. I ignored the heat wave and punished my body by going through the hike and not returning back. If you want to do this hike, be in decent shape and be ready for a challenge. I don't recommend going in the middle of the day. Either early in the morning or late afternoon. Give yourself some good time to complete this challenging hike.

Went last night around 5:30 and did the loop. The first 1.5 miles is like being on a stair master for an hour. My legs were burning the entire time. Once you get up to the radio towers, it evens out a bit and the scenery is great. The downhill is a nice reprieve but then your legs start burning again from constant downhill. The views at sunset are spectacular so it was well worth the hard work. Not a lot of other hikers on the trail, but numerous lizards and wildlife after the sun goes down (saw an excited skunk and a coyote). If you park near the playground, there are bathrooms. Bring lots of water and avoid in the middle of the day because it's hot and hardly any shade. We did the counterclockwise route so we hiked UP the steepest part. Hiking clockwise and DOWN the steepest part looks like it could be quite treacherous without the right shoes and potentially hiking poles.

Friday, February 10, 2017

If you're looking for a good incline workout, this is a great option. Light traffic and beautiful scenery. Only downside is your in the sun the whole time so Around sun down is the best time to go.

Tuesday, March 07, 2017