Mount Thom and Tongva Peak Loop

Mount Thom and Tongva Peak Loop is a 6.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Burbank, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.7 miles Elevation Gain: 2,306 feet Route Type: Loop

Perhaps one of the toughest hikes in the San Fernando Valley, this trail can be used as a training course for harder hikes (such as Mt. Whitney or Cactus-to-Clouds). The sharp elevation gain is recommended only for experienced hikers. For those who endure the challenge, you will be rewarded with some of the best views in the valley. Be sure to bring plenty of water...and even more willpower.

Great hike/run. Extreme gradients with a few scrambles on the way up, but easier once you're at the peak. Great views that make the effort worth it. I'd definitely rate the first 3k as hard....

Great hike all around. One of my new favorites in the area if I'm not looking to practice at elevation.

Decided to sleep in the weather was cooler and got a 9am start. Make sure your shoes have traction no matter which way to decide to take the loop around.

Nice hike!! Start and finish at Seven Trees trailhead (Right) instead of Miss American Green Cross trailhead (Left) unless you want a rocky, slippery trail. Seven Trees has one steep incline at the end but felt completely paved and safe by comparison.

From the small parking lot by the playground you go up the drainage ditch to this trail. Once past the ditch it opens up and then it’s a decent climb to the start of the looped trail. Bring lots of water. There’s one good spot for shade after the first climb down to the left otherwise it’s lots of direct sun. Good elevation gains and loads of switch backs. Not as pretty right now as it’s really dry and brown but still nice views and a great work out. Choose your own adventure trails along the way for even steeper climbs!

Fantastic trail great views strenuous but an amazing workout

Loved everything about this hike. You will definitely be feeling it the first 1.6 miles. When you get 2 miles in, it gets easy. I went on a Saturday morning a little before 8am. The parking lot was pretty full but saw no one at all attempting this trail (I was fine with it ;). Highly recommend it for a great work out.

Steep on the eastern side but great hike

Very beautiful. I recommend going clockwise (especially if you are a runner) - the ascent will be less steep this way. But get ready for a steep and slippery way down.

I liked that this hike was super hard for just 2 miles and then it was easy breezy. My friend and I brought trekking poles and were really happy that we did (would have been so slippery otherwise). Forgot to check Alltrails so we ended up taking the road back at the last mile making the hike 7.5 miles, 2100 ft elevation gain.

Nice loop trail that starts at Brand park and goes through seven trees and upward towards Mount Thom, and then continued towards Mount Tungva. I then continued passed Mount Tungva on the fire road and came to the intersection between Verdugo Motorway and Verdugo Crest. I took the left trail named Brand Motorway and went down all the way back to Brand Park. A nice 7.10 mile loop hike that will kick your butt on the way up.

First 2 mile, all the way to top to FCC tower, most treacherous incline, after that very easy. Wonderful view from top. worth for challenging!

Loved this hike! We went on Friday morning of April 19th to give you an idea of the weather. Since it wasn’t a weekend we were basically the only ones on the hike, so we were able to let our dog off leash for the whole hike. There’s not a lot of shade but depending on the time of day the mountain creates its own shade. Since it was getting hot there were a ton of bugs and reptilian creatures hanging out. We went to the right then looped around to the left and highly recommend. This allows you to get the steep stuff over with pretty quickly and the rest is an easy downhill slope. Because of the steep part I would highly recommend Solomon shoes or hiking boots, it’s loose dirt and very easy to slip because of the steepness. Love this mountain range and love the hikes we’ve done on it! We did the steep stuff as fast as we could manage then took our time with the rest, took us about 2.5 hours. Hope you enjoy as much as we did!

Just did this and we feel amazing! We stayed 45 minutes after sunset but it was somewhat okay if you have lamp or phone with you. We did counter clockwise but at the last 3/4 of a mile or so we continued down the pavement instead going on the trails. It is not clearly marked and we didn’t pay attention towards the end. This way was 7 miles total. Start of the trail is a bit confusing and since we came back other way we ended up on the left side of the library while actual start/end is on the right side of the library. Hope this helps someone :)

Great hike up! Gets very hot and long on the way down on a sunny day. Bring lots of water.

This hike will defiantly get your heart going. The downhill is a bit dodgy therefore I would recommend doing with trekking poles. The views are incredible on a clear day.

We did this loop Saturday March 9th. Its a great work out the first couple of miles until you reach the ridge fire road.. Then is pretty easy going on the ridge with beautiful views of downtown and the Hollywood hills.