Mount Tamalpais via Hogback Road and Miller Trail

Mount Tamalpais via Hogback Road and Miller Trail is a 5.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Mill Valley, California that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 5.6 miles Elevation Gain: 1,453 feet Route Type: Loop

Pretty good hike. Lots of good views

We did this toward the end of August with our them 9 & 6 year olds. Managed to snag a parking spot near the trail head, which was somewhat miraculous— not many spaces. We were shrouded in fog for all of the hike except for a few moments on middle peak, so no views to speak of. We knew that might happen given the time of year, but still, too bad on that front. There were a fair number of folks we passed or were passed by along the way— it was not an untraveled path! The kids loved the exhibit at the top with the video and mine car. The dry pathways and gravel made for some slippery footing in the last part of the path down before we returned to the parking lot. Even though I grew up in this area, I’d never hiked Mount Tam before and am so glad to have done it. I look forward to going again when the views are clear.

Foggy day