Mount Sizer Loop [CLOSED] is a 15.9 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Morgan Hill, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Length15.9 miElevation gain4297 ftRoute typeLoop
CampingHikingNature tripsBird watchingrunningViewsWildflowersWildlifeClosedNo dogs
Description
Waypoints (13)
Contact
Tips

As of August 2020, this park is currently closed due to wildfire until further notice. See here for more info: https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=30009 Henry W. Coe State Park sprawls over more than 87,000 acres of high ridges and low valleys southeast of San Jose. It once belonged to a rancher named Henry Willard Coe; his heirs donated the ranch that would become the state park bearing his name. The park has few amenities, but has abundant trails for hikers, equestrians and mountain bikers. The hike to Mount Sizer goes deep into the heart of the park, where the views from the heights seem to go on forever (occasionally the snow-capped peaks of the Sierra are visible on clear winter days). To hike into this remote country is to see it as it stood for thousands of years before the first European settlers arrived. Some of the hills are scarred by wildfires of recent vintage, but the sight of green reclaiming the blackened landscape can't help but cheer you up.

Henry Coe State Park official site http://www.coepark.org/

Mind your water supply -- you'll go through much more water than you might think in the course of several long, steep climbs. Best time to go: March through April, when the hills are green and wildflowers are out in abundance. Worst time to go: Late summer, when the searing sun makes the ascents unbearable and dries out the creeks, sharply limiting your water options. Winter can be rainy and muddy, with precarious creek crossings. The vistas from the high ridges, however, are the best of the year. Many hikers like to go in October, which is mating season for the large, hairy tarantulas that are unseen residents of the park most of the year. Watch for poison oak along narrow trails. Ticks will try to hop a ride, especially if you stop long in areas of tall grass (they're worst in winter and spring.) Always do a tick check after a Henry Coe hike. What to bring: Clothing in layers: It can be breezy on the ridges, cool in the shade, hot in the sun. Sunscreen: much of this hike is unshaded. Snacks and enough water for eight to ten hours of strenuous hiking.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (144)
Photos (1483)
Recordings (140)
Completed (319)
Gregory Thomas
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 28, 2020
View Gregory's Recording
Eric Sheldon
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 6, 2020
Hiking

I recommend this hike clockwise stay off poverty flats going back and take china hole trail back. Good work out.

Jimmy Roe
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 29, 2020
Hiking

Hardest trail I've ever done. The final tallies from my phone were 17.5 miles and 331 floors and I took a short cut. Bring a lot more water than you think. The shortcut was challenging, but I actually found the long climb at the end even harder. Afterwards, I learned that the nickname of the trail is "The Death March". The good thing about the trail is that you feel like you are deep in nature and some parts of the trail are very pleasant and scenic.

rebecca schmidt
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 18, 2020
HikingNo shadeRocky

Very hot and steep in the summer.

View rebecca's Recording
Rana M
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 20, 2020
Hiking

The hike is really strenuous and steep. Its very challenging and It’s definitely not 14.6 miles. We stayed on the track, took a shortcut on our return back (Jackass trail to Poverty Flat) which saves us 0.7 miles and even after that it came out to be 15.9 miles. Its for sure greater then 16 miles. You will need more water and food than usual. Do carry trekking poles. The hike is beautiful, with great views. We spotted mama deer and baby deer, rabbits and a tarantula on our way.

View Rana's Recording
Tyler Chuck
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 7, 2020
Hiking

An amazing trail with a nice climb. Make sure that you choose a day that’s not too hot. The park is amazing and vast. The paths are wide for most of the trail. Overall an amazing experience. Would highly recommend if you’re willing to make the drive. Currently the park is operating at half capacity due to COVID-19, so every other parking spot is blocked off. We parked at the overflow lot about 0.5 miles away from this trailhead. There’s a nice trail to the main area from there.

Niko Kingi
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJune 7, 2020

Hillside Hiker
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMay 24, 2020
HikingBugsNo shadeOver grownRockyScramble

Tons of bugs! Parking lot currently closed.

View Hillside's Recording
Charles Moser
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 12, 2020
Hiking

If you want a nice beating this is a nice one. A month and a half later and my right big toe nail came off. The hills are brutal!

Cory T
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 29, 2019

Amazing hike, perfect weather and great scenery

Mo Chicharro
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarNovember 2, 2019
HikingBugs

This is a hard workout, tough gradients. Some great views along Blue Ridge on the approach to Mt Sizer and expect to see some wildlife which is great. I chose clockwise direction and the final hill on the way back to Coe Ranch HQ is a test for sure. A fun trail, great workout but you need to be in relatively good shape. Only downside for me was some annoying flies at various parts.

Smita Katariya
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarOctober 20, 2019
Hiking

this is a mother of all trail....I found this to be most difficult trail so far. constant slopes either going up or down , lot of open trail with lots of sun, annoying flies and did I mention constant slopes,.made this one of the difficult hikes. no matter whether you choose to go clockwise or counter clockwise, it's a beast. we picked clockwise as we preferred to climb up that steepest slope than going down on it. but that means you are climbing about 1200 / 1300 feet up again in last 3 miles which is a torture! there is some shade but lot of it is open. there is no water source on this trail. there are couple of streams you pass but of course all dried up at the moment. there is definitely wild life so be aware. there are about 3 restrooms we came across as there are multiple campsites. As per all trails, it's 14.6 miles but our apps calculated the distance to be 16.6 miles. good view on the trail and not a lot of traffic.

View Smita's Recording
Gabriel Carlson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 12, 2019
HikingBugs

This was a tough one. We had to take a few breaks because those hills are not to be messed with. Lots of trial users near the beginning and end of the loop. Bring lots of water or a filter to replenish at the little horse troughs.

View Gabriel's Recording
Steve Merrick
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 31, 2019
Hiking

The challenge is back to you Ryan Hester! This loop was a great way to find some isolation and solitude. I saw only 4 other hikers. The trails were clearly marked and there was more shade than I was expecting. Plenty of sun though too. I wish there were more single track trails rather than dirt roads which made up most of the trail.

View Steve's Recording
osman afridi
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 14, 2019
HikingNo shade

Pretty good hike. No sight of tics. Did it clockwise - two intense uphill parts but the rest isn't too bad. Take water and sun hats/sunglasses.

Ryan Hester
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 1, 2019
Hiking

Anyone up for beating my time? Would love to see someone put up a faster loop. Great workout, but not particularly impressive otherwise (except for the steep grades)

Surah Li
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 30, 2019
HikingBlowdownOff trailRockyScramble
View Surah's Recording
Tony Powers
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJune 20, 2019
Backpacking

I had a terrible time. I thought it was a great hike don't get me wrong but about 2 hours in, the tics came out to play. I tried to push through it but I came to an end point. I found at least 40 tics on me and at about 5 miles in, I decided enough is enough and I turned around. The hike I like but the tics totally ruined it for me. Don't go over the summer..

Gautam Dogra
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 10, 2019
Hiking

Pretty good workout- we started late this time- around 6:30 and finished around 4:00 pm. It got insanely hot. Creeks have water and we could filter and refill. We were each carrying 3 litres and we ran out. So please refill. Did it counter clockwise this time- the last mile is easier this way. But overall no matter which direction you take , it is brutal.

Wesley Allen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 8, 2019
Hiking

This trail will turn your ass into steel. Really beautiful, lots of water and wildflowers in mid-june.

View Wesley's Recording
John McCallen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 8, 2019
Hiking

Hard core. Beautiful wildflowers and a couple good creeks to swim in

View John's Recording
Jenni Buchanan
Hiking

We started at Coe Headquarters, taking the Monument trail to Hobbes road. There had been a heat advisory for the weekend, especially for Sunday, so we were trying to beat the heat most of the weekend. The trail was beautiful — as you would expect for a year with such late spring/early summer rains. A lot of water in the creeks, wildflowers, and grasses along the trails. The road up to the actual Sizer peak wasn't as bad as I expected, although I imagine it would go a lot faster without a full pack on my back. Also, loving that bench at the top. Blessings upon the heads of whoever put that up there. Heading down from Sizer, the Jackass trail to our campsite at Los Cruzeros was slightly overgrown, and absolutely COVERED in poison oak. It was an obstacle course challenge trying to avoid it. There is absolutely no shade on this trail, and it's a very steep downhill (as most of Coe is) requiring slow and careful footing, especially with a heavy pack. Arrived at Los Cruzeros and napped in the shade of a tree for a spell before setting up camp and exploring the area. The creek was full and a welcome place to soak our feet after the hard part of our hike. The next morning we started early in an effort to beat the heatwave coming through later that day. We went through the narrows, which was FULL! I changed into shorts and sandals and had a delightful hike through the creek, which was waist-high at some points and was absolutely the best part of the trip. After leaving the narrows we headed on over to Poverty Flats and climbed back up out of the valley, achieving our goal of getting back to HQ by noon.