Mount Shasta Trail

Mount Shasta Trail is a 10.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Mt Shasta, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September.

rock climbing

skiing

An epic two day ascent of a 14,000ft California Volcano. This is the standard route up from Bunny Flats with an overnight at the campsites near Lake Helen. From there you ascend up the face and then through Red Banks to Misery Hill (the crappy false summit) and then to the true summit with a return via a ski descent either left or right of "the heart". Highly suggested to do this trip as a two day climb to get used to the altitude. It's a big one!

37 minutes ago

geocaching

climbed 2 weekends ago (07/15-07/16) along the west face route. started from bunny flats and camped at hidden valley Saturday (~3 mi and 2,000 ft elevation gain, took us approx. 6 hrs). started our climb up the west face ~1 am Sunday. we left most of our gear (tents, sleeping bags, snowshoes which we never used) back at basecamp and only brought crampons, ice picks, and helmets, along with food, water and extra jackets which also didn't need. reached the saddle point (top of west face) ~8 am and then reached the summit ~10 am. there was one other group climbing ahead of us, other than that didn't see anyone, was amazing. conditions were perfect, clear skies, low winds. glissade back to hidden valley (~4,000 ft in 30 min) around noon was incredible. then packed up our stuff and made our way back to the bunny flats trailhead. trail between hidden valley and horse camp is not very pleasant, hard to find and slippery talus/scree most of the way, but worthwhile.

Summited 7/14/18.

Ascent to Lake Helen the day previous. Certainly didnt hurt acclimatization. Late evening nap from 9PM till 3AM then the summit push. Took our time to Red Banks and then enjoyed the walk up Misery Hill to the Palisades.

To enjoy a quieter, safer and more rewarding summit I would advise avoiding weekends and holidays.

Fun time had by all. 9 hours of uphill snow and scree from horse camp to the summer, 3 hours of (mostly glissading) downhill. Would probably be quicker earlier in the season; snow was very soft once sun came up.

Beautiful but do not underestimate this mountain. Didn't reach the top this time due to a fallen soldier but will return

Steep hike to the top. Very challenging but rewarding!

geocaching

Chose to do as a straight shot, no camping. Started at 10 pm on 7/2/17 from Bunny Flat parking lot, temp at departure approx 75 degrees. Snow on trail after 1 mile. Moon was 3/4 and gave good overall light for direction finding once past Horse Camp. Snow past Horse Camp was soft, did not put on crampons until Helen Lake at 2am, probably should have put them on around 1am. Left Helen at 2:30 am with approx 40 other climbers, snow was hard, and uneven with suncups. Ascent to Red Banks took 3 hours, and while not terribly strenuous, a little dangerous because of people ahead slipping, dropping bottles, backpacks etc. witnessed one person fall and slide a hundred feet before he could self arrest. There is danger to oneself too, a slip can easiest result in sliding two thousand feet = death, or feedtube for rest of life. so, if this is your first time on mountain of this size, do yourself and others a big favor, and get educated on crampon, axe skills. Red Banks was a little challenging/technical, important that any climber can route find through them, not just follow others...who knows who they are, or what skills they have. many people were traversing lookers left, ascending rocky chutes, I chose to ascent first chute to left of headwall. At Misery, removed Crampons and went up scree switchbacks, put crampons back on to make final. rested at top for approx 2 hours with lunch. left summit at noon. made car by 3pm, after descending glissade luge below red banks. Ran out of water. Took 3 liters, gave one away for emergency. consumed 2 liters, and needed 4. I only knock of one star because not the most beautiful view from summit...

I started on 6/18/17 at 6:30 am. I would recommend starting earlier to avoid the heat during climbing and to give more time for acclimation. Hike bunny flats and camped just below Helen lake. Since it was a Sunday there were lots of tents from the previous day but at about 5pm I was the sole tent on the mountain.

Conditions were very warm due to a heat wave. Too warm for my liking. Wind was real low at 10-15 MPH. Basically a perfect day.

Made camp, ate and went to bed around 8pm. Woke at 2am, made breakfast then started the climb at 3am. Reached Helen lake around 4am. That's where the steepest climb began. Slow and steady wins the race. Started with about 15 others ahead of me but ended up 4th to summit at around 7:45.

Going down was easy but take care not to relax too much. Most people get injured on the descent. Glissading was fun once the snow softened up.

Be sure to cover your head. I got sunburnt on my scalp from not wearing a hat all day at base camp. Also burned the corners of my eye balls so either use full wrap sunglasses or buy the leather side shields to protect from glare. Apply sunscreen every hour or so.

For elevation sickness I popped 600 mg of ibuprofen before I started hiking and every time I started to get a headache. Drink plenty of water and eat a good amount of carbs. Got a mild headache when I first reached base camp and when I started to descend from summit. Ibuprofen saved me! The headache is caused by inflammation in the brain.

I brought about a gallon of water and melted snow to get about a gallon more. Make sure you bring enough fuel and protect your stove from wind so you aren't wasting it when in use.

I'd do it again. Make sure you train though this is very intense physically.

I'd do it again. Make sure you train though this is very intense physically.

geocaching

We hiked this route last September. We start 1am midnight. We got all our gear ready. It was only half mile & will be in the summit, but we had to turn around due to weather was in favor for us that day, wind & clouds was getting crazy. We checked the weather before we go but we just never know, it's changes every second specially you are in the highest altitude. Better be safe than sorry! . Worse hike I've ever been. Better Train yourself & plan before u do this hike. Definitely going back to reach the summit. View is amazing when u reach to the top!