Mount San Antonio via Baldy Bowl Trail

Mount San Antonio via Baldy Bowl Trail is a 8.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Mt Baldy, California that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 8.8 miles Elevation Gain: 3,923 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Turn right onto Mt. Baldy Road (stop sign). After 7.2 miles you pass the Angles National Forest Mt. Baldy Visitor Center in Mt. Baldy Village. Turn right on Mt Ave. Continue a few miles up to Manker Flats.

I went up the backbone and down the bowl. I would imagine this is a much easier route than going up the bowl. Not sure I would want to hike the backbone if there is wind though. Great hike though!!

Great trail. Really steep. Would recommend to anyone looking for the faster and more challenging route with better views to the top of Baldy than the Devils Backbone route (mostly). A little bit of running water but bring plenty don’t count on it. The Ski hut has got an outhouse but bring your own toilet paper if you think you’ll use it (learned that the hard way). Do the loop and start with this climb.

This was a beautiful Butt-Kicker for me!! I will go up Devil’s Backbone and down the Baldy Bowl next time. Views were absolutely stunning last week. It got pretty hot the last few miles to the summit. Bring 3liters of water and a frozen liter of Electrolytes.

We started at Manaker Campground and went up to the Ski Hut and around Baldy Bowl to the summit. There is water running in the stream past the Ski Hut if you are filtering. There were 50mph winds coming down towards Devils Backbone. Beautiful route. We are currently drinking beer and listening to a groovy band at the Top of the Notch with some Chicken Nachos. I highly recommend doing the hike clockwise and ending at the Ski Resort. Fantastic hike!!! We plan to take the ski lift down. Ha! ($20. We are saving our old knees for Whitney next week.) There is a single pit toilet at the beginning of the trail head. There was a long line on Saturday morning at 5:45am. It had toilet paper in the morning, but not in the afternoon. Another pit toilet at the Ski Hut on the way to Baldy Bowl. I don’t use that one, so I can’t comment on it’s state. Real bathroom at the Top of the Notch restaurant. Plenty of shade going up and around the bowl. The last push to the summit was steep and WINDY! Like 50mph gusts. Coming down Devils Backbone was awesome!! I think this will be a yearly hike. Do it!!

Started off the trail about 30 minutes before dawn. There was a full moon and predawn lighting so no headlamp necessary. Took plenty of breaks, with high calorie snacking. Must haves: sunscreen, hat, sunglasses, and 2+ liters of water. Recommend: hiking shoes, trekking pole(s), food, and a camera! There are some amazing views above the cloud line. Note: there was an injury (supposedly ankle-related) on the way to the ski hut that required an airlift out. This is a serious hike!

Up ski hut, down Devils Backbone

Such a beautiful trail. Definitely a great workout with the incline! Ski hut was a nice halfway to enjoy a meal.

Tough hike but worth it once I got to the top.

The hike was really good! I haven’t had a lot of chances to hike ever since I got out of prison but I used to do it all the time with my dad when I was young. He would take my brother and I out on the trails but then one day when I was 9 he went to buy some hot Cheetos and never came back. After that I became a violent and hot tempered child. I constantly had runs in with the law. One time I got caught chugging a lava lamp in a Walmart bathroom. I don’t blame my father for doing what he did. It couldn’t have been easy raising 10 children who all had lupus. I’ve never been ashamed of my lupus but I know that many people are. Anyway after my third stint in the joint I knew I would either say gang banging or get my life back together. So I blocked the numbers of all the seedy characters I associated with and moved from Salt Lake City to Las Vegas. After a brief spell with gambling addiction I wound up in Los Angeles where I climbed mount baldy and wrote this review, which says that the hike was moderately strenuous but rewarding. The views were beautiful and the trails were in good quality. Recommend you bring hiking boots/trail joggers and don’t drink lava lamps or abandon your young children. 4/5.

Really steep towards the end, and a little longer then 8 miles, about 10 actually.

love this hike. we did a loop up via baldy bowl trail, then down backbone to the ski lodge restaurant for a bite. tesol is steep and a great training hike.

going up is tough, coming back down Baldy Bowl was, somehow, worse. I definitely should have brought poles. beautiful the entire way. saw a big ol goat at the top!

Deliberately chose to hike Mt Baldy on a Friday to avoid the weekend crowds. Arrived at Manker Flats around 6:30AM and parking was no problem. Still quite a few cars of the die hards that head out when it is still dark. As others have said, 1000ft of elevation gain per mile for ~4 miles will get your attention!! The trail to the Sierra Club ski hut is in good shape and provides firm footing. I took a break at the ski hut before heading up to the summit. After leaving the ski hut you will cross a rock field. Fortunately, it is pretty flat. The climbing starts again when you get into the trees. It gets steep and the footing on the dirt gets slippery. The higher you go, the less traction you have. When you pop out of the trees a scramble starts up a steep incline. This goes on for seemingly a mile. It eventually flattens out a little as you near the summit. Large summit with not many people on a Friday. Team Manhattan Beach REI was there training for an upcoming competition. Good views from the summit although we were above the clouds so couldn't really see a lot of sights. Made the mistake of going back down the Bowl trail. As others have said, the steep descent with poor traction makes heading back to the trail head a technical hike. Trekking poles advised. Next time I will take the Devil's Backbone Trail down. Took about 3 hours to reach the summit and a little less to get back down. Good views. Good workout. You heart will get pumping once you get past the ski hut and push toward the 10,000ft summit.

great hike and the views are all unbelievable. Difficulty is due to elevation, loose gravel for footing, and the elevation change.

My favorite trail up Baldy. Altitude is continuous. Went on a Monday morning and saw very few people. 3 people at the summit. No snow on the trail. A beautiful hike!

Great hike. There’s still some snow but it is hardly on the trail at all. No need for crampons or micro spikes. My favorite route is up the ski hut route and down the devils backbone. Poles are helpful.

Another beautiful day on Mt Baldy! Feels like we went from winter to summer in just a week. Memorial Day there was new snow and cold winds but today it was sunny and warm. The trail is clear of snow now except for maybe a patch or two near the top.

Trail was tough but a good workout. We went at the end of May and there was still snow on the ground from the start at Manker Flats. Be prepared. Plenary of food and water. Wouldn’t recommend to anyone in sneakers in the winter months. Most people has spike on their shoes. We didn’t but we are experienced hikers.

Did it on 05/25, tough but fun. Hiking poles a must (for me). Microspikes helpful near the top but not necessary. Great weather condition that day with clouds rolling in at the top. What a view and a workout!

GREAT JUST GREAT!!

Glorious. Tough. Worth it.