Learn more

Mount San Antonio via Baldy Bowl Trail

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow Star(958)
Angeles National Forest

Mount San Antonio via Baldy Bowl Trail is a 8.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Mount Baldy, California that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 8.8 miles Elevation Gain: 3,923 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Turn right onto Mt. Baldy Road (stop sign). After 7.2 miles you pass the Angles National Forest Mt. Baldy Visitor Center in Mt. Baldy Village. Turn right on Mt Ave. Continue a few miles up to Manker Flats.

Have done this one going up via ski hut trail and back down devils back bone twice. Both times it kicked my butt, but it’s so gorgeous up there, it doesn’t matter. Backbone seems a bit intimidating at first, but it’s not as bad as it looks. Just don’t do anything dumb.

Took the trail clockwise and I'm glad I did! It's a little less steep going up and going down you get beautiful views the entire time. Bring trekking poles and plenty of water! The elevation dehydrates you more than you think. I recorded 10.5 miles total using the trail as indicated. Plenty of parking on a Friday morning at 8:30.

Wonderful hike but it was INSANELY busy. I’d recommend going during the week or arriving at the trailhead before 6:30am if you go on a summer weekend

Chose to climb Mount Baldy on the summer solstice, i.e., the first day of summer, with a group of friends, we were able to make the hike to the Peak while carrying a sing as a Momento momi, that we ENDURED & CONQUERED Mount Baldy.

fun trail. started trailhead at 9:30. only two others at the summit. Chairlift going down was closed..

Brutal. Beautiful. Baldy.

Very challenging trail if you're looking for an strenuous hike. Took baldy bowl up to the summit. Views were astonishing beautiful. There are rocky parts and it's straight uphill, hiking poles are definitely helpful. There was a little bit of snow on the top, magical. Took devils backbone back down, just insane. Go prepared and leave no trace! :) For pics and hikes follow me on ig: @wanderingbru

We hiked the ski hut trail up and Devils Backbone down. temp dropped to 49 degrees at the ski hut, wind was a little cold in places, but still a great hike some patches of snow to hike through. Those without poles wish they had brought some. Good weather, good day.

Amazing. No other words. Mt Baldy was beautiful!

Challenging but definitely worth it once you’ve reached the summit! Hike poles very necessary. Still a bit of snow near the top.

I took this route in June 2019 after reaching the summit via Devils Backbone. This portion was steep coming down, and I was glad I didn’t use this trail both ways, although I know many people do. There were a lot of people, which is to be expected on a Saturday in June.

closed

I now know why people hike here to train for Mt. Whitney. It’s every bit as tough as the numbers suggest...4000ft of consistent elevation gain over 4.4 miles. GPS is beneficial between the ski hut and summit as there is still snow on the ground. Trekking poles are pretty much mandatory unless you hate your knees, but no need for crampons. Great views from the top. Oh, and this hike is technically closed right now, so check the latest updates or risk getting a ticket.

This is an awesome hike!!! I recommend if you are not experienced to definitely take someone experienced if you are trying to make it the the top, we made it to the top but not to the summit. We were 1,000 ft from reaching the summit but the snow got pretty deep in some areas up to our knees, we didn’t have any type of snow shoes so we ended it there, but it was still dope! Always take a backpack full of food and water, one thick sweater jacket and some pants

icy

Lot’s of snow. Need the necessary gear to handle it. Not too bad though, snow conditions hard packed with a fresh crusty layer, very dry. Steep as always. Watch the weather.

Completely snow covered and requires correct footwear. You'll have a rough time if not....

Started drizzling on drive up. By the time we parked (~9:30am) was snowing and windy. Sea salt sized snow pellets, not too wet. Got as far as the ski hut by noon. Another hiker on his way down said it was whiteout conditions near top (he wasn't able to make it). So we all decided to call it a day. Trail was getting snowed over. If we had started another hour or two, it'd be hard to stay on-trail. Snow was super powdery.