Mount Olympia North Peak via Waterfall Trail

Mount Olympia North Peak via Waterfall Trail is a 11.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Clayton, California that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from February until November.

Very pretty in the spring with the wildflowers. It can get windy up top, so you might want a lightweight jacket if you hang out up there to rest.

I stopped at Mt. Olympia and did not go to North Peak, cutting the total distance to about 10mi.
Very nice, and great views from the peak.
The lower trail as you climb from Cardinet Oaks Rd. is very narrow with lots of poison oak; pants recommended.
Towards the peak, the trail is steep and dusty or loose rocks; hiking poles would have been helpful while descending.

I loved hiking to this summit and then it was on to north peak.

Bring your determination with you. This is a long hike, and ultimately worth it. The views are spectacular. Hardly any traffic once you get off the lower trails. Plan at least 5 hrs if you are going to take small water breaks. 3 hrs up, 2 down, not including your summit time. Plan a morning start, and watch out for head winds, it can get pretty gusty up there. Highly recommended overall.

This was a great and hard hike for me. It was cold at north peak near the towers good thing I was wearing a hoodie and windbreaker. I'd rate this as a difficult hike for someone who's out of shape.

Great hike in the winter or spring after some good rain. Not usually any water going in summer. Nice to get off the wide roadbeds and on single tracks for the falls, The 1st time I did it was with a friend whose natural hiking speed was faster than mine... It was more like trail running for me! It was good for me!

my experienece:

This was my intended route, but got off track and added almost a mile in my total hike to the summit. Excellent scenery. Heavy poison oak in areas, specifically Middle Trail. Beware and enjoy.

Monday, May 16, 2016