Mount Olympia North Peak via Waterfall Trail

Mount Olympia North Peak via Waterfall Trail is a 11.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Clayton, California that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from February until November.

I ran this trail in 2 hours it was awesome

I started from Regency Gate and stopped at Mt. Olympia and headed back down from there. I'm not sure who could manage to go to North Peak after that as well as Waterfall Trail as simply getting to Mt. Olympia was pretty grueling. You go to 3000 feet in 4 miles, most of which are switchbacks. Hiking uphill at a 45 degree angle with loose gravel underneath you makes for a slow hike. This also made the return journey back down just as difficult. With breaks and everything it took us ~2.5 hours to get to the summit and ~1.5 hours to get back to Regency Gate.

I recommend bringing the following in addition to your normal hiking gear:
1. Hat (you will be in the sun most of the way)
2. Insect Repellant (tons of insects that land on you)
3. Trekking poles
4. No children

Very pretty in the spring with the wildflowers. It can get windy up top, so you might want a lightweight jacket if you hang out up there to rest.

I stopped at Mt. Olympia and did not go to North Peak, cutting the total distance to about 10mi.
Very nice, and great views from the peak.
The lower trail as you climb from Cardinet Oaks Rd. is very narrow with lots of poison oak; pants recommended.
Towards the peak, the trail is steep and dusty or loose rocks; hiking poles would have been helpful while descending.

I loved hiking to this summit and then it was on to north peak.

Bring your determination with you. This is a long hike, and ultimately worth it. The views are spectacular. Hardly any traffic once you get off the lower trails. Plan at least 5 hrs if you are going to take small water breaks. 3 hrs up, 2 down, not including your summit time. Plan a morning start, and watch out for head winds, it can get pretty gusty up there. Highly recommended overall.

This was a great and hard hike for me. It was cold at north peak near the towers good thing I was wearing a hoodie and windbreaker. I'd rate this as a difficult hike for someone who's out of shape.

Saturday, September 17, 2016

Great hike in the winter or spring after some good rain. Not usually any water going in summer. Nice to get off the wide roadbeds and on single tracks for the falls, The 1st time I did it was with a friend whose natural hiking speed was faster than mine... It was more like trail running for me! It was good for me!

Sunday, September 11, 2016

my experienece:

Monday, July 18, 2016

This was my intended route, but got off track and added almost a mile in my total hike to the summit. Excellent scenery. Heavy poison oak in areas, specifically Middle Trail. Beware and enjoy.

Monday, May 16, 2016