Mount Markham via Mount Lowe Trail is a 3.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Hidden Springs, California that features beautiful wild flowers. The trail is rated as moderate offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Review for All trails:

Virtual Hike: https://youtu.be/UFbb8Bb6Y4Y

This is one of my favorite hikes. I went during the morning to avoid the heat. I love the set of hikes that lead from eaton saddle, because it has that awesome tunnel to walk through. About a half mile in there is another mini saddle from which you can go up to San Gabriel Peak, Mt. Lowe & Mt. Markham, and Mt. Lowe trail. Although I should have taken the sign that says Mt. Lowe, I was initially trying to get to Markham, and had the two peaks confused, so I walked down the wider road until I reached a spot I could start climbing up to Mt. Lowe. I guess I took the “west route”. It wasn’t necessary to take this route because I could have taken a skinnier trail up to the split between Mt. Markham and Mt. Lowe, but this way turned into a loop. Along the way up and at the top of Mt. Lowe are some really cool “viewfinders” that identify peaks in the San Gabriel Range, as well as Los Angeles, and Catalina. There is a metal bench at the top to chill at. When I realized that I had climbed Mt. Lowe instead of Mt. Markham, I decided to continue down the east Mt. Lowe trail and hike up to Mt. Markham, which proved to be a bit steeper and more challenging, but it was doable. You can do it in shorts if you are careful, but like the poster beneath me said, there are lots of yucca and poodle dog bush along the way to the top. The view from both of these peaks are amazing, and it’s worth doing both in one day. I definitely recommend this trail to anyone that has a good 3.5 hours.

Hope you enjoy!

Playlist for the trail: https://sptfy.com/KuB

I've hiked in this area a bunch of times and have always wanted to climb Markham. I expected the trail to be hard to follow in the final approach, but it was pretty easy to follow. That said, the final approach is very steep in parts and there's a lot of poodle brush and yucca. I would not recommend doing it in shorts. The views at the top are quite impressive and are different from what you see on nearby peaks. You could easily combine this hike with a trip to Mt. Lowe or San Gabriel Peak if you're looking to extend the outing.

Friday, July 14, 2017