Mount Markham via Mount Lowe Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(55)
Angeles National Forest

Mount Markham via Mount Lowe Trail is a 3.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Palmdale, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, nature trips, and bird watching. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length3.2 miElevation gain744 ftRoute typeOut & back
Dogs on leashHikingNature tripsBird watchingRunningViewsWildflowersOver grownRockyScrambleNo shade
Description
Waypoints (0)

FIRE CLOSURE: As of February 2021 there are closures in this park or area due to wildfire. For more information, please visit https://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/angeles/alerts-notices. SEASONAL ROAD CLOSURE: Roads leading to this trailhead are subject to seasonal closure. For more information, please visit https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/angeles/conditions/?cid=FSBDEV3_027722

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (55)
Photos (867)
Recordings (60)
Completed (273)
Don Davis
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 27, 2021
Hiking

I hiked Josephine Peak earlier in the morning and decided to finish the day with Mount Markham and Mount Lowe. I missed the small use trail on the left by the water tank and wound up walking down Mount Lowe Motorway. The hike up from Markham Saddle is a little steep in spots but nothing unmanageable. After reaching the summit, I descended and bagged Mount Lowe. The views from Markham and Lowe are spectacular in all directions.

View Don's Recording
Jessica Parmar
Hiking

Great workout, although not clearly marked. Intermediate trail —not for beginners. It was sunny and clear today, with quite a few people out. This hike is do-able without trekking poles in my opinion. I was so happy to see that we could drive past the Redbox Picnic area to park right next to the start of the trail.

View Jessica's Recording
Tony Lopes
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 6, 2021
Hiking

Beautiful day for a great hike. All three peaks had awesome views. Brown Mountain was really cool to hike.

View Tony's Recording
TJ H
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 27, 2021
Hiking

Markham trail is not too clear

View TJ's Recording
Marcos Tinajero
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFebruary 14, 2021
View Marcos's Recording
Nicole Row
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 30, 2021

Tried to go here today but the fire road to drive there was closed. My map took me on a route that wasn’t the 2, so maybe there’s another route, but just so ya know.

Jenn T
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 2, 2020
View Jenn's Recording
Mike Heiss
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 17, 2020
HikingNo shadeOver grown

Nice views but overgrown in a number of places passed the Mount Lowe Trail (up the final ascent).

Dayna Mauer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 23, 2020
Hiking

Pretty exposed throughout with only occasional shade. Nice views of the San Gabriels and down into the LA Basin.

View Dayna's Recording
Noy Ramon
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 21, 2020
HikingNo shade

beautiful views but no shade at all. recommend doing it in early morning or late afternoon. we ended up going to Mt. Lowe Summit via East trail. the view was nice along the way and also at the top. There is a bench at the top which is a nice point to take a break. did it in two hours, but we took our time and stopped several times along the way. be careful from snakes we saw two along the path.

View Noy's Recording
Richard Passmore
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMay 13, 2020
HikingClosedOver grownRockyScramble

NOTE: 5/13/20 - Mt. Wilson Red Box Road is closed at Angeles Crest Hwy because of COVID. While there was no USFS ranger there or road block in the morning, in the afternoon a Ranger stopped us. He said, the entire area (trails included) are closed until further notice. We began our hike around 9am. As all parking lots are closed, as is Mt. Wilson Red Box Road, we parked are the north side of Angeles Crest Hwy. We hiked the half mile up the road to where the trail began (turning right on Mt. Disappointment Road, the trail was on the left - called Bill Reily on Google Maps). This trail climbs quick, and is a bit steep. After a while, this well-shaded trail ends at Mt. Disappointment Road. If you go right, you descend to Mt. Deception. If left, you can continue on to the saddle of Mt. San Gabriel and Mt. Disappointment. As Mt. San Gabriel is the taller peak, we started there. After reaching the summit of Mt. San Gabriel, we descended and began the assent to the summit of Mt. Disappointment. Afterwards, we continued back to the Mt. San Gabriel Trail. After dropping down, you’ll notice a trail on the right side. Take this trail to connect to Mt. Lowe Rd. However, be cautions. This trail depends and not recommended for those with fears of heights. The trail is not very wide, has loose rock, and a big drop off. Once reaching Eaton Saddle, I summited Mt, Markham. The trail follows the ridge to the top of the summit, is pretty overgrown, and has lots of jagged/lose rocks. Finally, after returning to Eaton Saddle, I climbed to the summit of Mt. Lowe. Of all the peaks I climbed today, Mt. Lowe has lots of interesting things to see at the top. Also, besides a bench to rest on, you’ll be rewarded with beautiful views of the city and surrounding mountains. We decided to make a loop by taking the Mueller Tunnel back to Mt. Wilson Red Box Rd. Because the road was closed, and it was mostly downhill, the was a relaxing way to end our hike. While the weather started off sunny, by noon we were surrounded by fog. Luckily, I brought extra layers. The high was 70, and the low was 45. Furthermore, I did not notice any active streams or water sources, so make sure to bring plenty of water. All in all, this was a wonderful hike. You can climb one peak, or add multiple to make an all day adventure.

Ben Connell
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFebruary 24, 2020
HikingNo shadeRocky

A nice view, but a sunny hike. Felt very hot and sweaty on a 68 degree day. Otherwise, lovely.

View Ben's Recording
DJ Goodman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFebruary 11, 2020
Hiking

This is a short but absolutely beautiful hike. The first 1/2 mile you'll be on a fire road and go through the Mueller Tunnel. You'll then come to a junction. At this junction, you can chose to go to San Gabriel Peak or Mt Disappointment (to the right), continue on the fire road to Brown Mountain, or take the trail just above the fire road that leads to Mt Markham and Mt Lowe. About 3/4 of a mile later, you'll come to a saddle (unmarked) and have the choice to continue onto the other mountain (Mt Lowe) or make a sharp left turn up to Mt Markham. This is fairly steep and parts of this trail has overgrown plantlife but it's definitely worth the trek. Once at the top, you can walk a ways on the summit and take in the views of surrounding mountains. Enjoy!

Nie Li
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFebruary 9, 2020
Hiking

The Lowe Trail is a short one, but everything after you reach the top is great. It is a must-see and must-go trail for hikers. It has signs of popular mountains all around and history of San Gabriel Mountains. Most of all, there is a fun swing you can enjoy.

John Silva
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 27, 2020

Dope hike to mt. Markham. Beautiful views

View John's Recording
Tory Tedrow
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 13, 2020
HikingIcyMuddyOver grownRockyScramble

Not too long of a hike with great views of the surrounding area. We went in the winter and there are some parts that were still icy from previous snowfalls. Some parts of the trail are a little overgrown, so I would recommend wearing pants to protect your legs from scratches. There are a few parts where you have to scramble up some rocks, which isn’t too challenging, but I would not recommend for someone with mobility problems. We were gone about 2 hours and 20 minutes but took a snack break at the top and were slow moving through the icy parts.

B Oz
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 8, 2019
Hiking

This was a nice little peak to climb. There is no marker unfortunately but someone made a circle with rocks that designates the peak. The last 0.5 mile to the peak is a little rough but doable. I had my poles out most of the time but did put my hand down a few times. on the way down, there was loose gravel so I had to be careful with my footing. There were a ton of bees which was annoying because their buzzing sounded like a motor. Otherwise they weren't a problem. There was some yucca and ceanothus, and the trail was a bit overgrown, so I'd recommend long pants. The 360 degree views on this trail were amazing!

Eric Larin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 9, 2018
Hiking

Review for All trails: Virtual Hike: https://youtu.be/UFbb8Bb6Y4Y This is one of my favorite hikes. I went during the morning to avoid the heat. I love the set of hikes that lead from eaton saddle, because it has that awesome tunnel to walk through. About a half mile in there is another mini saddle from which you can go up to San Gabriel Peak, Mt. Lowe & Mt. Markham, and Mt. Lowe trail. Although I should have taken the sign that says Mt. Lowe, I was initially trying to get to Markham, and had the two peaks confused, so I walked down the wider road until I reached a spot I could start climbing up to Mt. Lowe. I guess I took the “west route”. It wasn’t necessary to take this route because I could have taken a skinnier trail up to the split between Mt. Markham and Mt. Lowe, but this way turned into a loop. Along the way up and at the top of Mt. Lowe are some really cool “viewfinders” that identify peaks in the San Gabriel Range, as well as Los Angeles, and Catalina. There is a metal bench at the top to chill at. When I realized that I had climbed Mt. Lowe instead of Mt. Markham, I decided to continue down the east Mt. Lowe trail and hike up to Mt. Markham, which proved to be a bit steeper and more challenging, but it was doable. You can do it in shorts if you are careful, but like the poster beneath me said, there are lots of yucca and poodle dog bush along the way to the top. The view from both of these peaks are amazing, and it’s worth doing both in one day. I definitely recommend this trail to anyone that has a good 3.5 hours. Hope you enjoy! Playlist for the trail: https://sptfy.com/KuB

erika najera
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 7, 2021
View erika's Recording
Alejandra Unzueta
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 19, 2020
View Alejandra's Recording
Blake Lynch
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 16, 2020
View Blake's Recording