Mount Lukens via Stone Canyon

Mount Lukens via Stone Canyon is a 8.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Tujunga, California that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

old growth

This route is the most challenging path to the top of Mt. Lukens (the tallest peak in Los Angeles) as it climbs up Stone Canyon and is heavily overgrown at certain spots. *** Trailhead From the trailhead at the eastern end of the Wildwood picnic area, a post marks the beginning of the Stone Canyon Trail. Stay to the right of the metal beams and follow the lower trail until it ends and turns off to the Big Tujunga Creek. There are plenty of stones for an easy crossing. *** Once on the south side of Big Tujunga, turn immediately to the left and get back on the trail, which will eventually turn sharply up Stone Canyon. (Dont climb the south bank of the creek and scramble up Stone Canyon to find the trail.) You will see a little rest area on your right and the trail leading directly south under some wooden towers with power lines. (Note: The trail is on an eastern ridge of Stone Canyon and not visible from the canyon floor.) *** The trail is well maintained here and leads straight south up the eastern side of Stone Canyon. The trail then leaves Stone Canyon and turns left and up around the first hilly prominence to an unnamed canyon. The trail climbs uphill on the western side of the unnamed canyon. There is no single level portion to recover. *** 3.1 miles The trail climbs some switchbacks until you reach an open area with the trail junction to the Sister Elsie Trail leading down Haines Canyon. Keep following the Stone Canyon Trail as it climbs up to the summit ridge. *** 3.8 miles The trail heads east on the ridge and meets a fire road. *** 4 miles Following the fire road you reach the summit area covered with radio antennas. The summit is at the western end of the ridge at 5,074'.

Description

Not worth it. So sketchy that you spend most of the trek trying not to fall off the trail. I made it to the top, came back and felt stupid for allowing myself to get stuck is this long, frankly dangerous, joyless challenge. No trees, no stop spots to munch, stretch, the bush is manageable, the climb is fine, the trail blows chunks. Oh, and the views in August, smog city, which I'm cool with. This is the edge of my outdoor love, I need cool trees and trails that don't wash out beneath me. Back to the Devil's Chair (choice trail) for me. One and done, I won't be back in the trail's present condition. The dip I took in Big Tujunga at the end was amaze balls, and almost made up for the trail.

There are all manner of flying bugs that will test your love and patience with nature. But besides that this was not as enjoyable as it should have been. And that was not because of the heat, the thirst, the sweat, the big climb, the sketchy rocky trail at times - all these things I really enjoy the challenge thereof... but purely because of the rattle snake I saw and the increased likelihood of snakes at this time of year. I will do this again, but in the winter.

This trail needs maintenance. I recommend pants and a long sleeve shirt for all the bushwacking required to hike this trail.

4/2017: This hike is challenging. Plan for about 5 hours round trip. We saw a rattle snake, so keep your eyes in the trail. Wear pants as the trail is overgrown and brushy. We did not make it all the way to the top and planning to go back soon. Walking sticks are a must as the trail is very steep and rocky.

Late winter hike: 3/3/17.
With all the recent rains, your first challenge awaits as soon as you leave the trailhead. On this day, Big Tujunga Creek was a river and we spent a little under an hour and a little over half a mile trying to find a safe place to cross. We found one. Water was to my thighs ( I'm 5'5). I would suggest waiting to do this hike until the creek level is lower and since this trailhead lies below Big T Dam it's hard to know when that will be. Beyond the creek many switchbacks await. About half way up the trail becomes very overgrown (but passable) and very washed out in numerous sections. I was so grateful to have brought trekking poles. Another thing you can look forward to is ticks! There were SO MANY ticks. After passing just one overgrown section my lead hiker had picked up 8+ ticks. We had to stop frequently to flick off ticks and check our legs the whole way up. WEAR PANTS! And light colored ones at that. Your legs will constantly be brushing against plants which is where ticks are waiting for you. If you are able to overcome all these challenges, the trail is easy to follow once it's found and will take you to sweeping views of LA and the SFV at the top as well as great views of Big T Canyon along the trail. I would do this hike again.. in Fall.

Monday, May 23, 2016

Monday, March 21, 2016

Friday, March 11, 2016

Hiked this on 3/10/16. Haven't done this in summer, but Spring seemed like a great time to do this, as the wildflowers were out and temperatures were lower. Not much shade, so the earlier you leave in the morning the better. Lots of brush and overgrowth, pants are essential. Good straightforward hike for simple climb/descent strength training.

Monday, March 07, 2016

This trail is hidden, you will miss it if you're not paying attention... It's up a very narrow two way dirt road...the trail has become one of my favorite hiking trail,its all uphill, very rocky, winding trail...a little challenging, but I like a little challenge ... I love this hike... Not for first timers...

Monday, February 01, 2016

It's kinda hard finding the trail head if you get there before the sun comes up .

Monday, December 28, 2015

Sunday, July 26, 2015

After crossing a stream right at the start, the first stage of the hike is an unswerving incline up Stone Canyon. It is essential that you take the well maintained trail to the left and above the creek in order to avoid scrambling. After looping around a hill, you begin ascending switchbacks. Here, the trail gets tight and you have to squeeze through lots of brush. Once you reach the ridge, the trail climbs up to the microwave tower covered peak. The entire trail is extremely exposed to the sun, so plan accordingly. From the top, you have an excellent views of the Verdugo Mountains and city below.