Mount Lukens via Stone Canyon

Mount Lukens via Stone Canyon is a 8.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Tujunga, California that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

old growth

This route is the most challenging path to the top of Mt. Lukens (the tallest peak in Los Angeles) as it climbs up Stone Canyon and is heavily overgrown at certain spots. *** Trailhead From the trailhead at the eastern end of the Wildwood picnic area, a post marks the beginning of the Stone Canyon Trail. Stay to the right of the metal beams and follow the lower trail until it ends and turns off to the Big Tujunga Creek. There are plenty of stones for an easy crossing. *** Once on the south side of Big Tujunga, turn immediately to the left and get back on the trail, which will eventually turn sharply up Stone Canyon. (Dont climb the south bank of the creek and scramble up Stone Canyon to find the trail.) You will see a little rest area on your right and the trail leading directly south under some wooden towers with power lines. (Note: The trail is on an eastern ridge of Stone Canyon and not visible from the canyon floor.) *** The trail is well maintained here and leads straight south up the eastern side of Stone Canyon. The trail then leaves Stone Canyon and turns left and up around the first hilly prominence to an unnamed canyon. The trail climbs uphill on the western side of the unnamed canyon. There is no single level portion to recover. *** 3.1 miles The trail climbs some switchbacks until you reach an open area with the trail junction to the Sister Elsie Trail leading down Haines Canyon. Keep following the Stone Canyon Trail as it climbs up to the summit ridge. *** 3.8 miles The trail heads east on the ridge and meets a fire road. *** 4 miles Following the fire road you reach the summit area covered with radio antennas. The summit is at the western end of the ridge at 5,074'.

Late winter hike: 3/3/17.
With all the recent rains, your first challenge awaits as soon as you leave the trailhead. On this day, Big Tujunga Creek was a river and we spent a little under an hour and a little over half a mile trying to find a safe place to cross. We found one. Water was to my thighs ( I'm 5'5). I would suggest waiting to do this hike until the creek level is lower and since this trailhead lies below Big T Dam it's hard to know when that will be. Beyond the creek many switchbacks await. About half way up the trail becomes very overgrown (but passable) and very washed out in numerous sections. I was so grateful to have brought trekking poles. Another thing you can look forward to is ticks! There were SO MANY ticks. After passing just one overgrown section my lead hiker had picked up 8+ ticks. We had to stop frequently to flick off ticks and check our legs the whole way up. WEAR PANTS! And light colored ones at that. Your legs will constantly be brushing against plants which is where ticks are waiting for you. If you are able to overcome all these challenges, the trail is easy to follow once it's found and will take you to sweeping views of LA and the SFV at the top as well as great views of Big T Canyon along the trail. I would do this hike again.. in Fall.

Hiked this on 3/10/16. Haven't done this in summer, but Spring seemed like a great time to do this, as the wildflowers were out and temperatures were lower. Not much shade, so the earlier you leave in the morning the better. Lots of brush and overgrowth, pants are essential. Good straightforward hike for simple climb/descent strength training.

This trail is hidden, you will miss it if you're not paying attention... It's up a very narrow two way dirt road...the trail has become one of my favorite hiking trail,its all uphill, very rocky, winding trail...a little challenging, but I like a little challenge ... I love this hike... Not for first timers...

It's kinda hard finding the trail head if you get there before the sun comes up .

After crossing a stream right at the start, the first stage of the hike is an unswerving incline up Stone Canyon. It is essential that you take the well maintained trail to the left and above the creek in order to avoid scrambling. After looping around a hill, you begin ascending switchbacks. Here, the trail gets tight and you have to squeeze through lots of brush. Once you reach the ridge, the trail climbs up to the microwave tower covered peak. The entire trail is extremely exposed to the sun, so plan accordingly. From the top, you have an excellent views of the Verdugo Mountains and city below.

Did this hike a few weeks ago with a couple of friends. We started from the picnic area off Big Tijunga Road. I should say this was my first hike ever. It was a great rush. The trail is narrow and steep. It is a workout and you need plenty of water. We hiked to the water tank and back. I would recommend this hike but I will warn you we were the only ones on this trail the entire time.

This hike was tougher than we imagined. We went with a Boy Scout troop as part of our "Mini Peak Bagger" program and had a lot of difficulties along the trail. If you go with Boy Scouts, make sure this is not their very first hike, as it will likely discourage them from future outings.

Most of the trail is very narrow and very close to the edge, so watch your step carefully. A hiking stick is highly recommended.

At the trailhead to Stone Canyon, make sure you take the rightmost trail (under the power lines), otherwise you will walk a while before realizing you have to cross the creek.

Outstanding views. NOT for inexperienced hikers.

Not one of my favorites, if you're close by, looking to get a workout and some views in, it'll do the job, but I would not go out of my way for it. Wish I had seen the advise about wearing long pants before I did it. The trail is not maintained and there is a lot of brush to walk through. By the end, my legs were all scratched up and it was starting to sting. I think there is only one tree on the entire trail - so bring plenty of water and sun protection.

I hiked to Mount Lukens Peak via Stone Canyon Trail with one of my friend on 2/22/2014 . We started from near Vogel Flat. Several area of the trail didn't look safe to me, too narrow and one wrong step may end up to medical emergency. At the peak, we met a group hikers and learned from them that there is a sign-in book in a can under the rock that has a survey mark. Be careful about the snake, this looked like a good place for snake to rest in any warm day.
I would rate this as 5 star if trails were marked. Other than that this trails is beautiful, and has great view.

The trail is now clear and easy to follow all the way to Grizzly Flats, thanks to the work of volunteers. There is no reason to skip Grizzly Flats any more. Lukens is no longer the only reasonable alternative from the trail head on Angeles Crest Highway at Dark Canyon.

Finding the trailhead is an adventure. Unrelenting elevation change. Hot even in early April. A good mid-length hike. Will do again - in the late Fall ...

First time there a couple of weekends ago. Everything from trailhead to grizzly flats was fine, trail obvious with only a little bit of fallen tree. At grizzly flats someone put a couple of cardboard arrows pointing west. We bush whacked all around, but did not really find an obvious trail. There was one to north, but it ended in bushes as well. We ended up hiking back to a clearing and bush whacking all the way down to big tujunga creek. Took 3 hours. We did come across trail here and there. Stayed high and north west direction. Crossed creek once but did not follow as it dropped along the way. Basically only hike to mt. Lukens and back the same way if you want to avoid bush whacking. Skip grizzly unless you like bush whacking or you are willing to hike back the way you came.