Mount Lukens Via Dunsmore Canyon

Mount Lukens Via Dunsmore Canyon is a 8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Glendale, California that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

old growth

Hiked the left side of the loop on the way up. Got to the top in 3 hours. I didn’t need a map or gps. Not bad for a novice like me! Great trail with awesome views! I will definitely do this hike again!

Very nice hike. It was foggy, so I was basically walking in a cloud the entire time, but the trail has a nice grade, and there's a lot of greenery and wildflowers. Can't wait to try it on a nice day!

We started at 8am and it was warm already. Start early to try to beat the heat. We tracked 10 miles. Also came across a rattlesnake!

I started counter clockwise. I also recommend using one of the “Recordings” from someone who completed the hike already as a guide vs this main one as it is short by 2 miles it doesn’t mark the trail correctly.

Nice hike, but lots of small rocks. End up being over 10 miles.

Distance was actually over 10 miles. Lots of unmarked forks so bring a map! Most of the trail (probably 99%) is in direct sunlight. Views at the top were great, but the journey there wasn't. Don't do this hike in the summer if you decide to go.

Great hike, although I managed to take a few forks the long-way round. Also after reaching the summit, I missed the turn-off for the Picken's Spur trail to come back down the mountain and walked East on the access road for about a mile. So my whole hike ended up being about 11.3 miles, rather than the 8.7!

Either way, it was a great morning hike. I challenged myself, going the more difficult clockwise route, and finished the whole thing in 3hr11min (1hr36mins to summit, 1hr30mins back to the car - 5 mins rest at the peak!)

Amazing trail & not super difficult. I went up the Haines Canyon Trail to Rim of the Valley Trail which took me to the old Mt. Lukens Trail... hungout on top by myself for an hour and then took then the fire road to the Crescenta View Trail & down to the Wilderness Park.

3.5 hrs up & 2.5 hrs down. Frost line is about 4,000ft & snow line a little under 5,000ft.

A wonderfully challenging hike with great weather in mid-March. I tracked it at about 9.5 miles. We started the loop counter clockwise (the easier way) at 8am & finished in about 5hrs going at a leisurely pace. The peak is actually very industrial with the radio towers. Not great for photos, but plenty of spots on the way up for great photo ops. PLEASE if you bring your dog BRING water for them.

I hiked this trail just after rainfall and it was cool and damp which made the trail soft and easy on the feet. I imagine this is a tough one during summer months so I’d recommend winter as it is very exposed.

The peak is full of radio towers which makes it feel industrial. Other than that, the views are epic.

it's a tough hike but a good payoff with the view

Did this trail today in the rain and it was amazing. Challenging but doable.

Started around 7:30a. Chilly enough to wear my gloves. All that moving heated things up fairly quickly, had to take them off and my sweater about 20 mins into the hike. We went the easier way (counter clockwise).

Mt. Lukens is touted as the highest peak in Los Angeles County and boasts 360 views of the San Gabriel Valley, Los Angeles to Catalina, Hollywood, the valley cities, and from the top, you are rewarded with expansive views well into the peaks of the Angeles Forest. This was a goal hike for me as one year ago, I could barely make it a mile! Needless to say, I was thrilled to have completed it today!

Do this one in the winter, bring LOTS of water, and wear appropriate hiking shoes.

From the main trail of Dunsmore Canyon, you can follow the trail to Mt. Luke s from the Rim of the Valley Trail (on the left) or Crescenta View Trail (on the right). The Crescenta View trail is VERY steep, rocky, hard on the knees, and hangs precariously on the side of the mountain. The Rim of the Valley Trail is much wider, offers more shade and a much more moderate climb to the top. To do it again, we would opt to go up and back via Rim of the Valley as we all felt the CV trail was a bit too “black diamond” for us! Not for the timid or inexperienced, for sure!

long hike to the top. there's a bunch of radio towers up there. amidst like a little ghost town. there's also a lot of room at the top. one of my favorite mountain tops

A great hike with a view at the top. Only slight shade so bring a hat and plenty of water.. At a leisurely pace it takes about 2.5-3 hours to reach the top of Mount Lukens from the trailhead of the Deukmejian Wilderness Park lot. Bathrooms are located near the parking lot as well. Keep in mind that the Winter hours posted on the park signs say the gates are locked 1 hour before sunset. So plan accordingly and have fun!

I hiked to the very top summit of Mount Lukens where the radio towers are last Friday and it was a very hot and difficult hike but well worth it. This was a long awaited accomplishment for me. You don't need to eat on the way up, it's a myth needing to eat to gain energy .If you have fat storage on your body your body converts the fat storage into sugar (fuel) so there you've burned some fat. So you don't need to eat or drink those sugary Gatorades and Powerades that's ridiculous just drink water.

Really enjoyed this hike! Here are a few tips: Don’t go in the middle of summer because there is very little shade. We went mid-October and it was just bearable. Still, there are a few shady spots to eat lunch or take a rest. Wear something to cover your legs. There are a lot of scratchy bushes along the trail edges. They aren’t too bad, but after 11 miles you kinda wish your shins were protected. Finally, if you start later in the day I’d recommend parking outside the lot and down on the main road. Your car will be locked in if you get back after dark, and it’s nice not to have to stress about that. xx

Great hike! Took the Rim Valley View trail up to Mt Lukens/road to Crescenta View Trail. Watch out for the poison oak, poodle dog bush, and small snakes. I saw two snakes on my path, but thankfully no rattle snake. Spotted deer multiple times! So peaceful during the week.

Sunday, June 25, 2017

Great trail but hot and exposed. Bring sunscreen and coverage for arms and legs especially if you go late in the AM. We try to leave the trailhead by 5 am, which seems to keep the heat at bay.

Monday, June 12, 2017

Had a great time trail was great

Saturday, June 10, 2017

Easily an 11 mile hike! It's a great hike! It was overcast and misty which made it perfect weather wise! The fog was too thick to enjoy the view, but loved it!!

Saturday, May 27, 2017

5/26/17: My phone put this at around 10 miles. Great hike. It got misty as I went up so could not see much from the top but the sense of accomplishment was nice! I would call this a lightly trafficked trail as I only encountered 3 people total on the actual trail (first and last hour). My dog had a blast.

Sunday, May 21, 2017

Loved every step. Ended up being 11 miles even! 4 hours total

Thursday, May 11, 2017

This loop is not 8.7 miles. It's more like 11 miles. I've done it at least 6 times. And whatever device I've used has it at over 11 miles.

Thursday, December 29, 2016

Best hike for difficulty and workout near LA. I come from Utah so I have to admit that it isn't nearly as intense as most hikes in the Wasatch, but it's the best it gets around here!

Monday, December 12, 2016

Nice hiking day the trail is really hard but worth it,

Sunday, November 20, 2016

Great challenging hike. Saw a Bobcat near the summit. Stunning views. Took us 5 hours with 3 10 min breaks.

Sunday, June 05, 2016

It's a really good trail challenging but with good shed!! It's about 9- 10 miles round trip.

Saturday, May 28, 2016

Great time to do this one! Get out there and see the wildflowers in their full glory. This loop is exposed most of the time so plan accordingly. Radio towers are the payoff at top but it's really about the journey...

Sunday, May 15, 2016

This is a great, challenging trail. Make sure to bring plenty of water. Recommend to wear long pants as opposed to shorts, as there is a lot of brush that grows onto the trail. Also, there are a few points along the trail that do not have markers, so it can get a little confusing. Google maps is pretty good with showing you the right way to go.