Mount Lukens Via Dunsmore Canyon

Mount Lukens Via Dunsmore Canyon is a 8.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Glendale, California that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

old growth

I hiked to the very top summit of Mount Lukens where the radio towers are last Friday and it was a very hot and difficult hike but well worth it. This was a long awaited accomplishment for me. You don't need to eat on the way up, it's a myth needing to eat to gain energy .If you have fat storage on your body your body converts the fat storage into sugar (fuel) so there you've burned some fat. So you don't need to eat or drink those sugary Gatorades and Powerades that's ridiculous just drink water.

Really enjoyed this hike! Here are a few tips: Don’t go in the middle of summer because there is very little shade. We went mid-October and it was just bearable. Still, there are a few shady spots to eat lunch or take a rest. Wear something to cover your legs. There are a lot of scratchy bushes along the trail edges. They aren’t too bad, but after 11 miles you kinda wish your shins were protected. Finally, if you start later in the day I’d recommend parking outside the lot and down on the main road. Your car will be locked in if you get back after dark, and it’s nice not to have to stress about that. xx

Great hike! Took the Rim Valley View trail up to Mt Lukens/road to Crescenta View Trail. Watch out for the poison oak, poodle dog bush, and small snakes. I saw two snakes on my path, but thankfully no rattle snake. Spotted deer multiple times! So peaceful during the week.

Great trail but hot and exposed. Bring sunscreen and coverage for arms and legs especially if you go late in the AM. We try to leave the trailhead by 5 am, which seems to keep the heat at bay.

Had a great time trail was great

Easily an 11 mile hike! It's a great hike! It was overcast and misty which made it perfect weather wise! The fog was too thick to enjoy the view, but loved it!!

5/26/17: My phone put this at around 10 miles. Great hike. It got misty as I went up so could not see much from the top but the sense of accomplishment was nice! I would call this a lightly trafficked trail as I only encountered 3 people total on the actual trail (first and last hour). My dog had a blast.

Loved every step. Ended up being 11 miles even! 4 hours total

This loop is not 8.7 miles. It's more like 11 miles. I've done it at least 6 times. And whatever device I've used has it at over 11 miles.