Learn more

Mount Lowe Road to Inspiration Point

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(137)
Angeles National Forest

Mount Lowe Road to Inspiration Point is a 6.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Mount Wilson, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.8 miles Elevation Gain: 1,046 feet Route Type: Out & Back

recorded Mount Lowe Road to Inspiration Point

Trail was nice with unbelievable views. When I left the Santa Clarita valley it was overcast and the same in the San Fernando valley. When I got up the Angeles crest highway a little ways I broke through the clouds to a beautiful sunrise. The drive up with no traffic is worth the trip out alone. I went at 6:00am and was the 2nd vehicle at the small parking lot. The tunnel in the side of the mountain was very cool to walk through even a little eery early in the morning. The path to inspiration point was mainly downhill and easy to navigate. Lots of lizards and squirrels all over the trail. When I got to inspiration point the clouds were still covering LA and I could not see the city but it was still a great spot to relax and stretch it out before heading back. The hike back was just as nice but I prefer loops to keep the scenery fresh. Good family hike but I would rate it as moderate and as easy.

fantastic hike. I gave it 4 stars though only because of the view. It wasn't very inspirational to me.

Beautiful trail and super wide for anyone who loves great views, but might have a problem with heights. Add an extra stop to Panoramic Point too. Highly recommend.

Easy, well traveled trail with incredible views. Insperation point was covered in clouds but I will definitely be back on a clear day.

Lovely hike to do in the morning before the sun is out.

This is a great trail! I’d imagine in the spring fall or summer it’s packed. There’s a small pull off for parking. No bathroom but you can make a quick stop at red box canyon picnic area to use the bathroom before going up the road 2 mi to this trail head. It’s a rocky trail that is 3.4 mi down hill and then 3.4 mi back up. It’s an easy hike. I went today and there was some snow. The road is clear and the trail had sections of 3” snow. It was great. Gorgeous mountain and city views! I won’t do this one again, but I highly recommend. The tunnel was super cool too.

Immediately as you leave the parking lot you have a beautiful view of a very dramatic mountain I don't know the name of. The tunnel is also really cool. About a mile in a fog bank rolled over and remained for the entire remainder of the hike all the way back to the car. This had the benefit of creating basically the perfect weather for hiking (no hot sun, low 50s temps) but I couldn't see anything - inspiration point looked cool but I could only see about 20 feet off the cliff with all the fog. So, I imagine it's really neat hike but I couldn't see much. Still was enjoyable - saw a deer and plenty of squirrels. There is absolutely no shade if you aren't hiking in fog, though, so be prepared.

Great views through most of the hike. Very hot and no shade. Took a bit of a loop route which was nice but steep in some spots.

recorded Idlehour Trail

Beautiful views and nice up and down, but we hiked a lot longer than we thought. Wanted to do 14.8, ended up doing 18.6. Didn’t bring enough water. Last 5 miles were brutal, especially in the heat. Would be a great winter hike.

It’s great short hike. The trail is very well maintained. Not a lot of shade so bring a lot of water because it can get really hot.

Mon Jun 17 2019

Great hike and beautiful views at the point. not much shade so bring water and sunscreen. Plenty of wildlife (lots of lizards). Hike is good for most any type of hiker.

Tue May 14 2019

This whole area is very beautiful and remote from the city.

Sun Apr 28 2019

Fun historical hike!! Most of the trail is in the sun so bring a lot of sunscreen & water! Inspiration Point is really cool with all the telescopes! Short little jaunt up to Easter Rock....a must do for anyone visiting Inspiration Point! Lots of cool history!

Sat Jan 19 2019

Wed Jan 02 2019

This is a easy route to get to this place, wide fire road is the trail.

Sun Dec 30 2018

We parked off Red Box Rd. Trail is on the right. Really pretty area. Very easy trail. It’s a gradual decent to Inspiration Point with a gradual incline back. So many different trails that run off this trail. A great trail to go to and later explore others.

Sun Dec 23 2018

This trail offers great views and experiences starting with a cool tunnel and Mountain View’s! The trail has a lot of loose rocks and offers little shade. It starts with a decline mostly all the way down to inspiration point and uphill on the way back! Inspiration point offers great views with cool signs telling you where you’re looking! I’d say this hike took us about 2.5 hours to complete with a descent workout!

Fri Oct 19 2018

awsome..saw a bear family of three pass by my path 20 feet away..by the campground....the cub struggled to get up on the side..Mama bear came back down staring til her cub was up..continued to enjoy a break and snack at the campground..with a cautious eyes..thank God it was a safe encounter.

Thu Jul 19 2018

View of the canyon through the first half is absolutely stunning. Highly recommended.