Mount Lowe Railway Loop

Mount Lowe Railway Loop is a 9.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Altadena, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Fascinating historic railway, great views, pine trees, deep canyons. This is a hike along the ruins of the Mt Lowe railway, Echo Mountain, and the Alpine Tavern. These locations were the most popular in Southern California in the late 1800's, before being destroyed by floods and fire. More than a dozen historical markers along the way tell the fascinating story of this railway. To top it off, the hike includes stunning views, pine forests, deep canyons, and lots of hiking. The first half of the hike, up to Alpine Tavern (now Mt Lowe Camp) and Inspiration Point, follows the Sunset Ridge Fire road to the top. The return leg is a bit more convoluted, but quite fun. A quarter mile down hill from Inspiration point, take the Sam Merrill Trail to Echo Mountain and visit the ruins of the former Inn at this location. Next head right on Echo Mountain Trail back to the Sunset Ridge Fire road. A hundred yards down the fire road on the right, take the unmarked trailhead for Sunset Ridge Trail, which parallels the fire road, and will get you home.

Easy hike, historic, interesting, good views, everyone should do this hike at least once.

Did part of this hike yesterday. Made it up to MtLowe during a really cool foggy day. No way of judging most of the views due to the fog. Soon after the parking area you will come across a nice tunnel made in the 1940s. Once you reach the top there’s a few view finders that point out the surrounding peaks.

I've done this a few times, both half way to the Lowe Railway Camp, which is about 5 miles round trip and all the way to Inspiration Point, which is 10 miles round trip. It's definitely worth it to go the entire way if you have time, the views are amazing at inspiration point and the trail is empty and quiet the second half of the way. It can be a bit confusing around the ruins on the way back, but if you have your app/maps then you'll be fine. I rate this as moderate not difficult as long as you're in halfway decent shape you should be fine.

Was a really lovely walk. A little confusing on the way down but nothing the app or maps couldnt sort out!

I've done this loop trail a couple of times and even camped at the Mount Lowe Trail Camp. It's an amazing hike, you rarely see anyone past Echo Mountain on a weekday... I went yesterday (Tuesday) and saw no one between 10am - 6pm, basically after passing Echo Mountain. The trails are pretty well maintained besides a couple of downed trees... I also think for anyone prepared and that has backcountry trail knowledge, this isn't that confusing of a loop or network of trails. There are signs at every junction. Just be smart, take a map or remember to keep your phone on airplane mode cause your GPS will still work on Google Maps. ;)

Wow, what a enjoyable walk!

I love this area but it’s easy to get lost because there are so many trails and roads. It is not moderate, it is hard if you are not in good shape! Road/trails are a steady incline but so worth it. For those asking about the swing: once you get to the campground, you will see 2 white signs. Hike between them (trail is on the right). After a short distance you will meet up with the road again. Take Sam Merrill trail east or west (there are signs) to get to the top of Mt. Lowe. I took West because it looked easier to navigate (the trial is slightly hidden by a log and I walked right past it. Look for the sign). Gorgeous views and a cool little swing. 18 miles total for me, using sunset ridge to start the hike. I uploaded the funky little map I saw, which is pretty accurate!

Very great hike. Like a few others, the hike will certainly test your resilience and endurance. The hike is a continuous upward hike. If your body is not conditioned, you will have a hard time getting up there. Still looking forward to finding the Mount Lowe tavern ruins. Did not get there today due to time.

We started from Millard camp ground and hiked about 6 miles up. We were looking for the swing on top of the mountain but never found it. Can anyone direct us to the swing for our next attempt? It would be greatly appreciated

just get there super early for parking but it's all worth wild

What an amazing hike! It is beyond beautiful! I also ran into a few deers this morning :)

Beautiful trail but definitely crowded during peak hours around noon. Best to get an early start!

I did a very similar hike to this in which I descended from Mt. Lowe Trail Camp via the Sam Merrill Trail (at around the 5 mile mark, according to the route on this page). Check out my recording. The entire route is a great mix of paved roads, fire roads, and trails.

Great place to hike. There's a lot of bikers along the path. Amazing view. Definitely one of my favorite places to hike. Very easy trail to hike

We started out doing the Dawn mine hike and ended up here. Quite a ways to get lost haha after going through the canyon we kept hiking up not knowing where we were going. I'm guessing the route we took was the one far less traveled, which I don't recommend, we were very high up on the mountain and going down made for a VERY narrow path way with little to no room for error. The story is pretty lovely and sparked my interest in learning more about it. Very cool wonderful views for a wonderful hike. If I decide to go back you can bet it won't be the way I came last time

The gate to the trailhead opens at 6:00am but you can park at the gate and add more miles to your hike if you want to start early. However we were there at 6 but someone showed up to open the gate around 6:20...
We are definitely going back to this trail to hike it counterclockwise because you can tell it will be more fun. By more fun I mean more difficult :))!
It's a gorgeous trail with lots of shading BUT use bug spray if you don't want to wave your hands every 10 seconds.

interesting hike along the old Mt. Lowe railroad. lots of signs showing the history of the railroad are an added bonus.

I rode up mt Lowe rd from the top of Chaney trail. it is a steep climb till you pass the Trail from echo mountain. after that it is a more manageable grade, as it follows the old railway. I took it to mt Lowe trail camp, site of the old alpine Tavern. it's a short bit further to inspiration point. at this point I returned the way I came. I'm slow, it took me about 3 hours round trip.

Monday, June 05, 2017

This trail honestly should not be rated as moderate. It will absolutely kick your ass if you are not conditioned for steep long distance hiking. It is a steep incline for more of the trail. There is very little coverage, so you are exposed to the sun most of the trail, which on a hot day can be very dangerous. BRING LOTS AND LOTS OF WATER!!!
The bugs were awful. I was eaten alive by bitting flies. Bug spray is a must this time of year.
Be prepared for the hike back down to your car. Since it is very steep, it can really do a number on your knees and feet.

Monday, June 05, 2017

If you were to go in early spring when it's cool out I can understand this trail having a "moderate" rating but when it's anywhere above 85 degrees outside this trail is BRUTAL. You are very exposed through most of the trail. The incline isn't bad but all of the reviews and articles I've read about this trail greatly underestimate how much of it is uphill. The first half is pretty but the scenery stays pretty much the same all the way to Inspiration Point. The portion of the trail between Inspiration Point and Echo Mountain is an easy and comfortable descent and it is easily the most beautiful and interesting portion in the hike. Once you finish exploring Echo Mountain the path splits into like five different trails. Be careful; it can be very confusing. Once you finally find the right trail prepare yourself for yet another daunting uphill climb, followed by a knee busting descent back down the concrete road you came up at the start of the trail.

Also....cyclists.....cyclists everywhere.

Saturday, April 15, 2017

Beautiful hike, lots of wildflowers. There are lots of alternate ways to do this hike. We went up the creek in Millard Canyon, and it was a great choice.. a little longer and a steep climb up, but beautiful.

Thursday, January 26, 2017

This was the first hike I did this year on Jan 2nd. Great hike.

Friday, January 06, 2017

We usually take this the opposite direction, starting up towards Echo Mountain, then on up to Inspiration Point via the Castle Canyon trail then back down the Sam Merrill trail rather than the fire road. The area is really beautiful. Keep your eyes/ears open for cyclists.

Monday, November 28, 2016

Great trail, it's well maintained for most of the hike and is pretty clearly marked. Just make sure you save the main turn points so you don't get confused! It's a hike and a history lesson! Took me around 4:30 for the whole trail having to park outside the gate to the road because it doesn't open til after 6am

Sunday, October 16, 2016

such beautiful views! it's a steady incline which helps with the hike!

Friday, March 11, 2016

Loved this trail!

Tuesday, March 08, 2016

It was a spectacular hike with amazing vistas. We went after a rain and the clouds were beautiful. This upside down hike amazes.

Monday, February 22, 2016

My dad and I did a variation on this loop. We started at the Cobb Estate/Sam Merrill trail head. The Sam Merrill trail up to Echo mountain was in good condition, but was very crowded. The view from Echo Mountain and the remains of the hotel and machinery was interesting. From Echo Mountain we tool the long way to Inspiration Point via the railway trail. Trail is wide, but pretty empty after Echo Mountain. Lunch in the shade at Mt Lowe Trail Camp. Back down the railway, we went down Dawn Mine trail, which wasn't in the best condition. There were a few stretches where we debated turning back. A hiking stick would have been good to have. The Dawn mine was interesting, and there was lots of flowing water in the creek. Going down the Milliard Canyon trail was not as fun after all of the nice trails. Lots of hoping down rocks and climbing under trees. We missed the turn-off to the Sunset Ridge trail, but caught it after a brief scramble just above the falls. Ended at Chaney trail head and got a ride back to our car.

Thursday, October 08, 2015

The views are fantastic, and as said, the side trails can get you to an amazing overlook. The history is interesting too. Best done after rattlesnakes are away, or at least be super cautious
- for I've sure seen a big one up there on the trail.